Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tomatoes from Seed

This is my first year as a Florida snow bird. I would like to soon
start tomatoes from seeds, while in FL. We will return/ drive to CT in
May '17 . I want to take those starter plants to CT.
BTW: I have purchased a Grow Light (cheap) - are they
beneficial?

My (deceased) NY Dad always started his Premo tomatoes from seed.
Alas I never learned his methods. I resent paying ~$5 for each
pre-planted, local grown "starter" !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2017 5:47 PM, wrote:
This is my first year as a Florida snow bird. I would like to soon
start tomatoes from seeds, while in FL. We will return/ drive to CT in
May '17 . I want to take those starter plants to CT.
BTW: I have purchased a Grow Light (cheap) - are they
beneficial?

My (deceased) NY Dad always started his Premo tomatoes from seed.
Alas I never learned his methods. I resent paying ~$5 for each
pre-planted, local grown "starter" !!

I'm no expert but have grown from seeds and this year I'm going to grow
heirlooms from local tomato stand. If you use your own seed, make sure
it is not a hybrid as you are not sure what you will get. My friend
Oren was joking about planting a whole tomato. I harvest the seeds from
ripe tomato at end of season by washing and rinsing on a screen,
allowing to dry then store dry in a paper envelope. You could get dozens
of seeds from one tomato. Price of small envelop of seeds is a rip off.

I put the seeds in a plastic food wrap covered tray in a warm spot.
Light not needed to sprout. When sprouted I will transplant a couple
each to pots to grow to starter plants only letting one grow per pot. I
can grow in a window but on warm days will take outside to acclimate to
sun a month before putting in the ground. If warm enough I can leave
out all night. Not difficult but takes a little work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 19:28:05 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 1/1/2017 5:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was kinda serious. I planted 6 or 8 4" inch plants and never had to
buy any more, a garden in PA. Tomatoes that fell on the ground,
eventually sprouted hundreds of plants the next spring. I gave
dozens to neighbors, made sauce, etc. The tomatoes will sprout in a
good soil, before you ever plant.

I had butternut squash here in the desert that sprouted from discarded
seeds. Fed the neighbors, made soup, roasted them, etc.

Ever get a dandelion in your yard (G) Those seeds fly in the wind,
land and sprout :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 7:01:39 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I was kinda serious. I planted 6 or 8 4" inch plants and never had to
buy any more, a garden in PA. Tomatoes that fell on the ground,
eventually sprouted hundreds of plants the next spring. I gave
dozens to neighbors, made sauce, etc. The tomatoes will sprout in a
good soil, before you ever plant.

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 18:17:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 7:01:39 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I was kinda serious. I planted 6 or 8 4" inch plants and never had to
buy any more, a garden in PA. Tomatoes that fell on the ground,
eventually sprouted hundreds of plants the next spring. I gave
dozens to neighbors, made sauce, etc. The tomatoes will sprout in a
good soil, before you ever plant.

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

Did you buy sod, sludge or organic fertilizer recently? Tomato seeds
survive a trip through the digestive system.
When they were recycling sludge in DC everyone had cherry tomatoes in
their yard if they were anywhere in that stream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 7:01:39 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I was kinda serious. I planted 6 or 8 4" inch plants and never had to
buy any more, a garden in PA. Tomatoes that fell on the ground,
eventually sprouted hundreds of plants the next spring. I gave
dozens to neighbors, made sauce, etc. The tomatoes will sprout in a
good soil, before you ever plant.

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

Here in the desert I see small palm trees growing along the freeway,
small ones that were not likely planted by the city or workers. My
guess is seeds fell off trees being transported for a landscape
project somewhere. The seeds sprouted, grew small palms, had little
or no water but thrived. They just looked out of place along the
road.

People broadcast grass seed on their lawns and they grow. Folks sprout
bean sprouts in a saucer of water just with a damp napkin. Seeds are
hardy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:19:50 -0800, Oren wrote:
Here in the desert I see small palm trees growing along the freeway,
small ones that were not likely planted by the city or workers. My
guess is seeds fell off trees being transported for a landscape
project somewhere. The seeds sprouted, grew small palms, had little
or no water but thrived. They just looked out of place along the
road.

If folks have queen palms there, they are weeds. (the ones with the
long pod full of big marble sized seeds)
I am about to pay a guy about a grand to take out 10 that grew wild
here and I ignored too long. Now days I go after them with extreme
prejudice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 23:08:00 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:28:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 21:58:07 -0500,
wrote:

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

Did you buy sod, sludge or organic fertilizer recently? Tomato seeds
survive a trip through the digestive system.
When they were recycling sludge in DC everyone had cherry tomatoes in
their yard if they were anywhere in that stream.

I'm told (heard) fish eggs can survive the digestive tract of birds
and those eggs may end up in another body of water, so the eggs hatch
and fish are born. Doesn't sound far fetched at all. (G)

That is true too. It is where most of the fresh water fish come from
here. Any little puddle that hangs around a year or so will have fish
in it.

Not many people have ever seen "walking catfish". After a heavy rain
in Broward county once, a parking lot was covered with them. They
actually traverse land and enter other waters. Some say the rain
drops them. (G). I ran over some in a parking lot once. There are
stories of animals picked up and traversed through the air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_catfish

"...its "walking" skill allows the fish to move to other sources of
water."

Life is strange.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 23:52:34 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:
My wife grows heirloom tomatoes every year. She
starts all of the plants from seeds and she uses
warming pads and grow lights.

We tried a new variety (to us) of cherry tomato this past summer
called Rapunzel. It was crazy hardy, and 2 plants took over my
entire cherry tomato bed. When My 2 sweet 100's died back from
dinner great, those Rapunzel's didn't flinch! No disease, and they
put out cherry tomatoes till the frost killed them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My wife grows heirloom tomatoes every year. She
starts all of the plants from seeds and she uses
warming pads and grow lights.

We tried a new variety (to us) of cherry tomato this past summer
called Rapunzel. It was crazy hardy, and 2 plants took over my
entire cherry tomato bed. When My 2 sweet 100's died back from
dinner great, those Rapunzel's didn't flinch! No disease, and they
put out cherry tomatoes till the frost killed them.

I should see how they like the Florida sun
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 7:01:39 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

Did you buy sod, sludge or organic fertilizer recently? Tomato seeds
survive a trip through the digestive system.
When they were recycling sludge in DC everyone had cherry tomatoes in
their yard if they were anywhere in that stream.

No, nothing had been done to the flower bed in a couple of
years. There was mulch already in there and that one tomato
plant grew to well over 6 feet tall. I knew I had done nothing
so it had to be a bird or a squirrel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 18:17:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

I have heard that tomatoes are one fruit that it is not wise to eat from
when the seeds are provided by providence. Tomatoes and deadly nightshade
can interbreed, and offspring can have a mix of the chemicals found in the
parent plants.

Before posting this, I did a bit of web research, and apparently the danger
is not as great as I thought, partly because what we in NA call "deadly
nightshade" is a related but much less toxic plant than what the Europeans
call "deadly nightshade". Some people may be more sensitive to the toxin,
so probably it would not hurt to be a bit moderate the first time sampling
such tomatoes.

Slightly O.T. How to ripen green Tomatoes ? [email protected] Home Repair 17 October 30th 13 09:20 PM
A tree from a seed... Bill[_37_] Woodworking 11 December 29th 11 04:25 PM
Grass seed? mgarvie Home Repair 7 March 19th 06 01:14 PM
Tomatoes JustDave Home Repair 10 August 31st 05 12:48 AM