Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Tomatoes from Seed

On 1/1/2017 5:47 PM, wrote:
This is my first year as a Florida snow bird. I would like to soon
start tomatoes from seeds, while in FL. We will return/ drive to CT in
May '17 . I want to take those starter plants to CT.
BTW: I have purchased a Grow Light (cheap) - are they
beneficial?

My (deceased) NY Dad always started his Premo tomatoes from seed.
Alas I never learned his methods. I resent paying ~$5 for each
pre-planted, local grown "starter" !!

I'm no expert but have grown from seeds and this year I'm going to grow
heirlooms from local tomato stand. If you use your own seed, make sure
it is not a hybrid as you are not sure what you will get. My friend
Oren was joking about planting a whole tomato. I harvest the seeds from
ripe tomato at end of season by washing and rinsing on a screen,
allowing to dry then store dry in a paper envelope. You could get dozens
of seeds from one tomato. Price of small envelop of seeds is a rip off.

I put the seeds in a plastic food wrap covered tray in a warm spot.
Light not needed to sprout. When sprouted I will transplant a couple
each to pots to grow to starter plants only letting one grow per pot. I
can grow in a window but on warm days will take outside to acclimate to
sun a month before putting in the ground. If warm enough I can leave
out all night. Not difficult but takes a little work.