Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Duffy[_5_] Mike Duffy[_5_] is offline

Default Tomatoes from Seed

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 18:17:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

This past summer I had a cherry tomato plant sprout at my front
porch steps. Either a bird or squirrel dropped or pooped tomato
seeds there as I've NEVER planted tomatoes. I had l-o-t-s of
cherry tomatoes until frost.

I have heard that tomatoes are one fruit that it is not wise to eat from
when the seeds are provided by providence. Tomatoes and deadly nightshade
can interbreed, and offspring can have a mix of the chemicals found in the
parent plants.

Before posting this, I did a bit of web research, and apparently the danger
is not as great as I thought, partly because what we in NA call "deadly
nightshade" is a related but much less toxic plant than what the Europeans
call "deadly nightshade". Some people may be more sensitive to the toxin,
so probably it would not hurt to be a bit moderate the first time sampling
such tomatoes.