Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pruning trees below freezing?

I asked my neighbor to prune the trees that overhang my house.
Was told to go pound sand.
So, the offending branch is about 20 feet up.
I don't have a ladder tall enough to get at it
safely with a chain saw.
I'd rather not try to chop it off at the trunk for fear it
will land on my TV antenna and bust it.

I tried throwing a rope over it last summer to see if I could break it.
I think I can pull at an angle so it falls between the houses.
Didn't break.

It's gonna be 18F here tomorrow. That's about as cold as it ever gets.

What's the dynamic if I pull down on it when it's cold outside?
Likely to break easier? It's about 2" diameter where I'd like it
to break.

No, I don't know what kind of tree it is. Some version of
maple, maybe...no leaves on it now. It's not in particularly
good health. Lots of decay.

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:53:14 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

A 2 inch twig 20 feet up ..
Go ahead and make your neighbour angry.
Keep us all posted.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I asked my neighbor to prune the trees that overhang my house.
Was told to go pound sand.
So, the offending branch is about 20 feet up.
I don't have a ladder tall enough to get at it
safely with a chain saw.
I'd rather not try to chop it off at the trunk for fear it
will land on my TV antenna and bust it.

I tried throwing a rope over it last summer to see if I could break it.
I think I can pull at an angle so it falls between the houses.
Didn't break.

It's gonna be 18F here tomorrow. That's about as cold as it ever gets.

What's the dynamic if I pull down on it when it's cold outside?

Trees are basically "designed to" flex due to wind.

Likely to break easier? It's about 2" diameter where I'd like it
to break.

I think you need two more things: A motor vehicle, and beer! : )

Good luck!

No, I don't know what kind of tree it is. Some version of
maple, maybe...no leaves on it now. It's not in particularly
good health. Lots of decay.

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
[...]

Don't break it, cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-.../dp/B0000AX849

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Rent a man lift and cut it wherever you want. We took out a 60' tall
Fichus in small enough pieces that nobody got hurt and no property
damage
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2016 8:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?

Don't break it, cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-.../dp/B0000AX849

That would be perfect. There are extension pole cutters, but I think
they go to about 16 feet so you'd have to stand on something and not
have much leverage. All you need here is a good arm to get the first
line across.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The first thing you need is a video camera. After that all you need is a few beers as was suggested. Once you have
concocted a plan to eliminate that pesky branch, look straight into the camera and say, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" Make
sure you post the video where we can see it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 9:12:48 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2016 8:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?

Don't break it, cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-.../dp/B0000AX849

That would be perfect. There are extension pole cutters, but I think
they go to about 16 feet so you'd have to stand on something and not
have much leverage. All you need here is a good arm to get the first
line across.

It appears from his OP that he was able to get a rope over the branch last time, so it
sounds like he's got the arm. It might take a rope *and* the rope saw if he wants to
control where the branch lands.

I have a fiberglass pole pruner that extends to just over 12'. Every couple of years I
trim some branches from a 2nd floor bedroom window. It's pretty awkward pulling the
rope to close the blade while hanging out of the window. The nearby power lines
don't make it any easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2016 5:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Turns out that I have one of those. Never got it to do anything.
Pulling down on the rope just digs the cutter into the wood and bends
the branch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:53:14 -0800, mike
wrote:

I asked my neighbor to prune the trees that overhang my house.
Was told to go pound sand.
So, the offending branch is about 20 feet up.
I don't have a ladder tall enough to get at it
safely with a chain saw.
I'd rather not try to chop it off at the trunk for fear it

Not only that, unless the trunk is at the border of your yard, you'll be
trespassing.

will land on my TV antenna and bust it.

I tried throwing a rope over it last summer to see if I could break it.
I think I can pull at an angle so it falls between the houses.
Didn't break.

Why not get a chain saw? Not a chainsaw but a chain saw. It's a piece
of flexible chain (as all chaln is!) with teeth for cutting branches,
with a rope on either end. You through one rope over the branch and
then pull alternately on the two ropes and it saws.

It's gonna be 18F here tomorrow. That's about as cold as it ever gets.

What's the dynamic if I pull down on it when it's cold outside?
Likely to break easier? It's about 2" diameter where I'd like it
to break.

What if it breaks inside his property line?

No, I don't know what kind of tree it is. Some version of
maple, maybe...no leaves on it now. It's not in particularly
good health. Lots of decay.

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?

See above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:38:05 -0500, Bill
wrote:

mike wrote:
I asked my neighbor to prune the trees that overhang my house.
Was told to go pound sand.
So, the offending branch is about 20 feet up.
I don't have a ladder tall enough to get at it
safely with a chain saw.
I'd rather not try to chop it off at the trunk for fear it
will land on my TV antenna and bust it.

I tried throwing a rope over it last summer to see if I could break it.
I think I can pull at an angle so it falls between the houses.
Didn't break.

It's gonna be 18F here tomorrow. That's about as cold as it ever gets.

What's the dynamic if I pull down on it when it's cold outside?

Trees are basically "designed to" flex due to wind.

Indeed.

Likely to break easier? It's about 2" diameter where I'd like it
to break.

I think you need two more things: A motor vehicle, and beer! : )

ROFLOL

Good luck!

No, I don't know what kind of tree it is. Some version of
maple, maybe...no leaves on it now. It's not in particularly
good health. Lots of decay.

Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:02:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

It appears from his OP that he was able to get a rope over the branch last time, so it
sounds like he's got the arm

If it doesn't go well he can use a sling-shot and some fishing line, or
string. Ham radio guys have high quality sling shots with attached
fishing reels that they use to send a leader over a high branch. They
use that to pull up a radio antenna. But for less frequent use, one
should be able to make one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From: mike
Subject: Pruning trees below freezing?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:53:14 -0800

Hire an illegal Mexican tree trimming crew.
they work cheap and will work with hand saws
in the middle of the night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-48-Rope-and-Chain -Saw/dp/B0000AX849

Turns out that I have one of those. Never got it to do anything.
Pulling down on the rope just digs the cutter into the wood and bends
the branch.

Depending on how high you can climb on your ladder, you could also get a
telescope pruner (cutter) with an attached saw blade (the cheap ones break
easily, though). You would only need to cut deep enough so you can break
the branch with your rope afterwards at the desired spot. And if the branch
should hang down loosely and the saw perhaps not work then, you could cut
through the remaining part with the pruner.

OK guys,
I have the rope saw...useless. I have a chainsaw on the end of an
extension pole...too short.
I have a ladder that I could probably rig to climb high enough.
BUT, the risk of injury is way too high to attempt such a feat.
I'd like to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

Let's get back to the question.
If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 07:10:28 -0800, mike wrote:

Let's get back to the question.
If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

No, if it is a healthy limb, it will retain it's strength through a
freeze cycle.

If you are serious about doing this, wait for it to get a little
warmer, find someone who feels safe on a 6 - 8 ft ladder, use your
13ft pole chainsaw, from the ladder to prune the branch.

Whoever does this should wear a safety bump cap or hard hat, I can't
emphasize this strongly enough. Healthy branches are much heavier
than they look and, when a rookie is cutting above his head, the
dangers are significant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 10:10:48 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
[...]

It's not "the question" (singular) it's the question*s* (plural).

If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

That is not "all you want to know". Go back and read the last line of your
OP. Never mind, I'll paste it here for you:

"Is there anything interesting I can do without hurting myself?"

If that is not an invitation to offer suggestions unrelated to the
ambient temperature I don't know what is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2017 10:10 AM, mike wrote:

Let's get back to the question.
If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

Not a significant difference from my experience. If the branch is dead
it contains very little moisture and you will see little difference.

OTOH, splitting green logs is easier once it is frozen. They pop apart
with a smack of the mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 10:40:06 -0500
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

with a smack of the mail.

Postage paid of course??
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote :
[...]

This is not an answer to your question, but it might be a good idea to
contact a lawyer and have them send a formal request to your neighbor.
Not to threaten them, but to document that you had requested the
trimming. That way when it falls and causes damage, your neighbor will
be liable for damages rather than being SOL for an Act Of God.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2017 10:46 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 10:40:06 -0500
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

with a smack of the mail.

Postage paid of course??

It costs a lot to mail a maul too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:40:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It costs a lot to mail a maul too.

That is why my moll always get my maul at the mall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 01 Jan 2017 07:10:28 -0800, mike
wrote:

OK guys,
I have the rope saw...useless. I have a chainsaw on the end of an
extension pole...too short.
I have a ladder that I could probably rig to climb high enough.
BUT, the risk of injury is way too high to attempt such a feat.
I'd like to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

Let's get back to the question.
If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

We noticed the original question but chose not to answer it. ;-)

But since you ask again: I wouldn't be surprised but it doesn't help
you. If you put the rope right next to where you want it to break, it
won't break there, but it might break close to the trunk. If you put
the rope a lot farther from the trunk, you'll have more leverage to help
it break, but the leverage will still be greater at the trunk. The limb
is a little thicker at the trunk so it won't break right there, but 2 or
3 inches away seems, without seeing the tree, the mosrt likely place,
and isn't that on the other guy's side of the property line.

I had a 23 foot fir tree damaged by a heavy snow. I borrowed a pole
chainsaw and had a six foot ladder. My friend who brought the saw, who
was a lot more fit than I even though he was 10 years older, offerred to
do it for me, but I wanted to do it myself. I think I went to the 3rd
step, maybe the 4th. I was trying to get to the trunk of the fir tree,
where it was partly broken and bent 90 degrees. It was awkward but once
I got past that it took only a couple minutes.

Maybe someone could hold the ladder for you, or you could hold the
ladder for him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 01 Jan 2017 13:37:45 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:40:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It costs a lot to mail a maul too.

v. good.

That is why my moll always get my maul at the mall.

Even better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2016 06:38 PM, Bill wrote:

[snp]

Trees are basically "designed to" flex due to wind.

The fact that there is no designer, doesn't keep it from being design.

[snip]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 22:53:14 -0000, mike wrote:

[...]

Why not break off smaller parts first?

--
My memory sucks, so I changed my computer password to incorrect. That way if I forget it, it tells me "your password is incorrect".

Pruning shears Gordon Shumway Home Repair 17 November 7th 15 09:40 PM
Best limb/pruning/bow saw? Michael[_24_] Woodworking 29 September 10th 15 07:13 PM
Pruning Capitol UK diy 10 September 23rd 14 05:24 PM
Pruning SteveB Metalworking 3 June 9th 08 04:35 AM
Pruning trees in the winter jb Home Repair 5 January 22nd 07 05:34 AM