Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Pruning trees below freezing?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 01 Jan 2017 07:10:28 -0800, mike
wrote:

OK guys,
I have the rope saw...useless. I have a chainsaw on the end of an
extension pole...too short.
I have a ladder that I could probably rig to climb high enough.
BUT, the risk of injury is way too high to attempt such a feat.
I'd like to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

Let's get back to the question.
If it's 18F outside, does the limb get more brittle enough to facilitate
just pulling it down? That's all I want to know.

We noticed the original question but chose not to answer it. ;-)

But since you ask again: I wouldn't be surprised but it doesn't help
you. If you put the rope right next to where you want it to break, it
won't break there, but it might break close to the trunk. If you put
the rope a lot farther from the trunk, you'll have more leverage to help
it break, but the leverage will still be greater at the trunk. The limb
is a little thicker at the trunk so it won't break right there, but 2 or
3 inches away seems, without seeing the tree, the mosrt likely place,
and isn't that on the other guy's side of the property line.

I had a 23 foot fir tree damaged by a heavy snow. I borrowed a pole
chainsaw and had a six foot ladder. My friend who brought the saw, who
was a lot more fit than I even though he was 10 years older, offerred to
do it for me, but I wanted to do it myself. I think I went to the 3rd
step, maybe the 4th. I was trying to get to the trunk of the fir tree,
where it was partly broken and bent 90 degrees. It was awkward but once
I got past that it took only a couple minutes.

Maybe someone could hold the ladder for you, or you could hold the
ladder for him.