Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pruning shears

I just bought some pruning shears today at a local nursery, that I
have done business with for many years, for what I thought was a lot
of money; about $50.

The first thing was the force required on the handles to enable the
release of the safety latch required so much pressure on the handles
that they were deflecting.

Secondly, after only a couple small, about 1/4" dia., branches were
pruned the return spring couldn't return the handles to the open
position.

Third, the package said the shears could handle up to 1" dia.
branches, but the force required to trim 1/2" or 3/4" branches took
two hands. No way they could handle a 1" dia. branch.

As the person rang up the sale she said "you'll have these for the
rest of your life." She will be right if I die on my way back to that
nursery tomorrow to return them. They are a piece of ****!

Who makes a quality pruning shear?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:25:34 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

As the person rang up the sale she said "you'll have these for the
rest of your life." She will be right if I die on my way back to that
nursery tomorrow to return them. They are a piece of ****!

She'll be surprised to see you so soon. :-)

Who makes a quality pruning shear?

Sorry, I am of no help recommending any shears but I
certainly understand your frustration with the ones
you purchased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

Corona are pretty decent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 21:24:44 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

[...]

Fiscars and if it ever breaks or just goes bad, they will send you a
new one for free.

I have these and they are great.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gar...et-Pruner-6689

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'll share your disappointment. Fifty bucks for
a piece of junk. I've not bought pruning shears
lately, so can't advise. I'd also take them back
for refund. That's no fun, at all.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

As the person rang up the sale she said "you'll have these for the
rest of your life." She will be right if I die on my way back to that
nursery tomorrow to return them. They are a piece of ****!

Who makes a quality pruning shear?

Felco - you can buy replacement parts after many years of use.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...706,40718&ap=1

Also the _hand-size_ and _left-handed vs right handed_
can be critical in use.
By-pass vs anvil also a consideration.

Lowe is another brand.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...706,40718&ap=1

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/06/2015 05:14 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

Who makes a quality pruning shear?

Fiscars and if it ever breaks or just goes bad, they will send you a
new one for free.

I have these and they are great.

+1

I don't have that model but the ones I do have work great. I also have a
Fiskars ax, hatchet, and let handed scissors. Some of their products
don't have the traditional appearance but when it comes to cutting stuff
that's my go to brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

I usually use one with long handles. Wife uses little one like Scissors.
We have telescopic pole saw too. And chain saw for some big job.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2015 10:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Who makes a quality pruning shear?

Harbor Freight
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:49:59 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately that is the brand I am returning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:25:34 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

Just a couple of pruning tips, which you may already know, but I'll share
for the benefit of all:

1 - When using bypass pruners, always keep the flat, wide blade on the "good
side" of the cut - the part of the plant that you want to keep. This will
results in a cleaner cut, with the ragged cut being on the discarded side.

2 - The very last bud on the tip of a stem is the "boss". This bud sends
a chemical down the stem, inhibiting growth from the buds further down the
stem. Many times the interior of a plant or bush can be filled in by simply
cutting off the very tip of the stem. The "inner" buds will begin to grow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

****!

Who makes a quality pruning shear?

Corona are pretty decent

Unfortunately that is the brand I am returning.

They like most others must have outsourced because I have
some older Corona hand and loping shears as well as a pole
saw that are excellent. I guess in pursuit of the homeowner
market they have cut corners. The reason I got them was a
friend that runs a landscaping business used ONLY Corona an
d swears by them

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

It's too bad that the majority are more concerned with price than
quality. The cheaper products usually cost more than the quality
product over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/06/2015 09:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
2 - The very last bud on the tip of a stem is the "boss". This bud sends
a chemical down the stem, inhibiting growth from the buds further down the
stem. Many times the interior of a plant or bush can be filled in by simply
cutting off the very tip of the stem. The "inner" buds will begin to grow.

You need to be more selective with some species. With some if there
isn't an existing branch about a third of the diameter of the one you're
cutting the whole branch will die back. I've got a flowering crab that
in previous years was 'pruned' by chopping off branches that were in
someone's way. I've flagged the dead wood and will take it out this
winter when the tree is dormant as well as pruning a lot of the lower
growth.

I don't want to take too much out since it's a nice place to hang out
with the hummingbirds on a hot day but mowing is getting to be awkward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have these and they are great.

+1

I don't have that model but the ones I do have work great. I also have a
Fiskars ax, hatchet, and let handed scissors. Some of their products
don't have the traditional appearance but when it comes to cutting stuff
that's my go to brand.

I bought a number of different Fiskar products and have been happy with all
of them. They make scissors with very large finger holes that are much
easier for arthritics to use than normal scissors are. Made from real
stainless steel and not stuff that begins to show oxidation damage a week
after their first use.

--
Bobby G.

Pruning Capitol UK diy 10 September 23rd 14 05:24 PM
Pruning SteveB Metalworking 3 June 9th 08 04:35 AM
Little pruning shears and rivet Peetie Wheatstraw Home Repair 3 March 27th 08 01:20 AM
How to disassemble Fiskar pruning shears Daniel Prince Home Repair 3 March 21st 07 08:09 PM
OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 05:29 AM