Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Little pruning shears and rivet

Small hand-held pruning shears ("loppers"?). Two halves held together
with a spring and a rivet. Inexpensive, but it served well for
some years.

Rivet has loosened up, unit tends to bind up instead of cutting.
Wondering about possible repair.

I think I layed the shears flat and hammered the face of rivet last
season to tighten it up. Didn't last long.

Pop the rivet out and try, say, a bolt and locking nut?

Other ideas? I hate to throw tools away ...

Thx,
Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message

Small hand-held pruning shears ("loppers"?). Two halves held together
with a spring and a rivet. Inexpensive, but it served well for
some years.

Rivet has loosened up, unit tends to bind up instead of cutting.
Wondering about possible repair.

I think I layed the shears flat and hammered the face of rivet last
season to tighten it up. Didn't last long.

Pop the rivet out and try, say, a bolt and locking nut?

Other ideas? I hate to throw tools away ...

Thx,
Peetie

I'd go with the nut & bolt idea. That's what real pruning shears use:
http://www.felcostore.com/pruners.jsp

Good gardening stores carry Felco. Maybe go take a look at the exact
arrangement of the hardware that holds them together. Better yet, buy a
pair. You'll be so much happier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
Small hand-held pruning shears ("loppers"?). Two halves held together
with a spring and a rivet. ...
Rivet has loosened up, ... Wondering about possible repair.

Pop the rivet out and try, say, a bolt and locking nut?

I'd go with the nut & bolt idea. ...

For long term joy, get a hardened bolt and a wave washer from the auto
supply and with a nylon-insert nut you'll have friction control as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree that the long term solution is the bolt/nut/washer deal, but
I've repaired scissors by gently resetting the rivet. No reason you
couldn't do that here. Just don't over do it, or it will bind up even
worse!

sharpening serrated edge pruning saw david UK diy 13 December 6th 07 09:06 AM
How to disassemble Fiskar pruning shears Daniel Prince Home Repair 3 March 21st 07 08:09 PM
Pruning trees in the winter jb Home Repair 5 January 22nd 07 05:34 AM
Tree Pruning John UK diy 7 July 29th 06 11:35 AM
OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 05:29 AM