Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to disassemble Fiskar pruning shears

I have a pair of Fiskars pruning shears. They are bypass type with
a handle that rotates when they are closed. They have accumulated a
lot of sticky sap etc. on the blades so I want to take them apart
and clean them but I can't figure out how. I have removed the screw
with an Allen wrench and pried at the blades but it did not come
apart.

Here are some pictures:

http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?im...earstopmw4.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rsrightsg3.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?i...arsleftxu6.jpg
http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sbottomrc0.jpg

Can these shears be taken apart? If so, how? Thank
you in advance for all replies.

--
I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I actually cut of the ends of
his toes. It's just the hard, dead part that grows back but
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?im...sbottomrc0.jpg

Can these shears be taken apart? If so, how? Thank
you in advance for all replies.

To clean or sharpen the blade it is not necessary to completly take
apart the shears. The blade itself (the sharp one) is removable and
likely replaceable. Just loosen the allen bolt. Then if you just
wiggle the blade back and forth it should pop right out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a job for WD40. The sticky sap is probably gluing in the blade.
Have you removed the Phillips screw?

I would remove the Phillips screw and flood the area with WD40. The
solvents in the WD40 should melt the sap sufficiently to facilitate
disassembly.

Other likely solvents would be turpentine, or paint thinner.

Once you get them apart and clean use candle wax to slick them up, that
should prevent or delay the sap from gumming them up so fast.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 21 Mar 2007 09:46:09 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

On Mar 21, 11:29 am, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a pair of Fiskars pruning shears. They are bypass type with
a handle that rotates when they are closed. They have accumulated a
lot of sticky sap etc. on the blades so I want to take them apart
and clean them but I can't figure out how. I have removed the screw
with an Allen wrench and pried at the blades but it did not come
apart.

Here are some pictures:

http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?im...sbottomrc0.jpg

You should put blank spaces betwee the urls.

Can these shears be taken apart? If so, how? Thank
you in advance for all replies.

To clean or sharpen the blade it is not necessary to completly take
apart the shears. The blade itself (the sharp one) is removable and
likely replaceable. Just loosen the allen bolt. Then if you just
wiggle the blade back and forth it should pop right out.

Pruning trees in the winter jb Home Repair 5 January 22nd 07 05:34 AM
Tree Pruning John UK diy 7 July 29th 06 11:35 AM
OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 05:29 AM
Shears vs nibblers Don Gowan Metalworking 1 September 17th 04 09:12 PM
Fiskar UPS John Rouse UK diy 3 January 17th 04 11:49 PM