Posted to alt.home.repair
jb jb is offline

Default Pruning trees in the winter

I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jb" wrote in message
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning as
time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem with
this?

I've heard numerous comments about this,
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...and_shrubs.htm

Seems to sum it up nicely. Basically tree branches can break at any time of
the year so cutting off limbs in an of itself won't hurt the tree - but you
have to ponder what the pruning is for .

My own state's department of ecology also indicates that painting the
affected part doesn't help and letting it heal naturally works just fine.
But again, I'd start surfing Google for more input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

If it were me I'd wait until late winter/early spring. That's when the
tree/shrub will be starting to grow again and will be able to heal the
cuts. I suggest asking the folks in Rec.Gardens before doing any
cutting. If possible tell them what species of tree or shrub. But, I
always wait until early spring before doing any prunning.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some
pruning as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any
problem with this?

The ideal time varies with the area and the type of tree. You can
contact your local county extension service (US government) or what ever it
may be called in other countries. They can give you good local information.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:02:33 -0500, jb wrote:

I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/h...prune.htm#when
This is the info that I go by, lots of useful info here

Posted to alt.home.repair

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

My uncle Schlomo tought me that the best time for pruning was anytime
the tools were sharp. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Tree Pruning John UK diy 7 July 29th 06 11:35 AM
Trimming trees Hal Home Repair 5 April 29th 06 11:44 PM
PWT/TPR seeks to improve status to Wasp - Need help on pruning the bushes. Steve Home Repair 2 June 26th 05 08:09 PM
Dead Trees robo hippy Woodturning 4 March 6th 05 03:57 PM
Ever wonder where trees come from? Buddy Matlosz Woodworking 3 January 1st 05 01:30 PM