Posted to alt.home.repair
Hal

Default Trimming trees

Is it necessary to cover the place where you cut off a branch after you cut
it? Does it depend on the diameter of the branch, or does it depend on the
type of tree.

By cover I mean with some sort of dis-infectant so the health of the tree is
not damaged. Not sure if I'm explaining that right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Hal" wrote in message
Is it necessary to cover the place where you cut off a branch after you

cut
it? Does it depend on the diameter of the branch, or does it depend on

the
type of tree.

By cover I mean with some sort of dis-infectant so the health of the tree

is
not damaged. Not sure if I'm explaining that right.

Most do not recommend covering the cutoff place. YOu do need to be careful
as to how you make the cuts. Try to make three cuts . The first one on the
underside a few inches from where you actually want the limb cut off. Then
cut from the top. Finally cut off the short piece that is left. The object
is to not peel the bark back when the limb falls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leave a little of the branch that is dont cut off all the way to the
trunk, so the wound heals better

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put nothing on the wound.

Make your cuts just outside the branch collar. This is the thickened
area just before the branch joins the trunk or a larger branch.

Clean your tools often, bleach and water works so does rubbing alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hal

wrote in message
ups.com...
Put nothing on the wound.

Make your cuts just outside the branch collar. This is the thickened
area just before the branch joins the trunk or a larger branch.

Clean your tools often, bleach and water works so does rubbing alcohol.

Ok, thanks to everyone for the replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:52:00 GMT, "Hal" wrote:

Is it necessary to cover the place where you cut off a branch after you cut
it?

No. The school of thought years ago was to dab pruning tar on the
cut, but today it is known to allow the tree to heal naturally without
any application. Some trees, such as dogwood, should not be pruned
as this may open the tree for disease. I try to avoid indiscriminate
pruning.

Does it depend on the diameter of the branch, or does it depend on the
type of tree.

Most trees will heal over the cut naturally. For deciduous trees,
trim when the tree is dormant. For fur trees such as pine you can
trim anytime of the year. One exception is that it is okay to cut off
dead branches at any time of year.

By cover I mean with some sort of dis-infectant so the health of the tree is
not damaged. Not sure if I'm explaining that right.

Read about "how to prune." It can be done correctly and not. You
may want to call your local cooperative extension which will be glad
to discuss details.