Default Wallpapering: trimming at ceiling

Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.
I use the standard method of creasing the paper with the back of the
scissors, folding the paper back and then trimming along the crease
line. But I always end up either trimming too much or too little off.
I must admit that trimming is easier in daylight. Sometimes when I am
stuck up the ladder it is hard to see where the fold is! But time
constraints mean I have to hang paper after work.

How do the pros do this? Or should I just stick a border over it?

Thanks
Bruce

Uno Hoo!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.
I use the standard method of creasing the paper with the back of the
scissors, folding the paper back and then trimming along the crease
line. But I always end up either trimming too much or too little off.
I must admit that trimming is easier in daylight. Sometimes when I am
stuck up the ladder it is hard to see where the fold is! But time
constraints mean I have to hang paper after work.

How do the pros do this? Or should I just stick a border over it?

It's not easy following the crease is it? If the paper is good quality then
the simplest way to a good result is to use a Stanley Knife with a new sharp
blade. Cheap thin wallpapers can tend to drag and tear if you do this, so
test a sample first. There are various proprietory devices for trimming
wallpaper although I've never tried any of them.

Kev

John

wrote in message
oups.com...
Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.
I use the standard method of creasing the paper with the back of the
scissors, folding the paper back and then trimming along the crease
line. But I always end up either trimming too much or too little off.
I must admit that trimming is easier in daylight. Sometimes when I am
stuck up the ladder it is hard to see where the fold is! But time
constraints mean I have to hang paper after work.

How do the pros do this? Or should I just stick a border over it?

Thanks
Bruce

I use one of these, great results every time!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc... 19&paintCatId

If the link doesn't work go to www.diy.com and search for "wallpaper cutting
guide".

HTH

John

David Hearn

Mathew J. Newton wrote:
[news] wrote:
wrote:
Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.
I use the standard method of creasing the paper with the back of the
scissors, folding the paper back and then trimming along the crease
line. But I always end up either trimming too much or too little
off. I must admit that trimming is easier in daylight. Sometimes
when I am stuck up the ladder it is hard to see where the fold is!
But time constraints mean I have to hang paper after work.

How do the pros do this? Or should I just stick a border over it?

Thanks
Bruce

try a trimeasy, supposed to be foolproof.

http://tinyurl.com/4omru

RT

Type 'Sidewinder' into the Quick Search on the above reference site...
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it!

---
Sidewinder

This innovative carrier clips onto your car windows to carry long
items without the need for a roof rack. It consistes of two small
plastic carriers and bungee straps which can easily be stored in the
glove box when not in use.

Yeah, the image of all that timber and 1/2 the weight being supported by a
small piece of plastic which puts the weight onto the window glass doesn't
inspire confidence - especially if I was in the passenger seat.

LOL - imagine if some guy decided to buy two sets - one for each side of the
car - and then has to work out how to get into the car after loading it!

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.

I've got a battery electric trimmer which does a far better job than I can
manage using traditional methods. It came from Homebase many years ago.
Dunno if they're still available - I've not looked recently.

It sort of uses a tiny pair of scissors.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Stuart Noble

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would
wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the
ceiling, door frames, wall units etc.

I've got a battery electric trimmer which does a far better job than I can
manage using traditional methods. It came from Homebase many years ago.
Dunno if they're still available - I've not looked recently.

It sort of uses a tiny pair of scissors.

I think I've tried every gadget, and the simplest/quickest for me is a sharp
knife with a curved blade. Opinel is the one I use (cheap from fishing shops
etc). Soft metal so it sharpens easily on a pull-through type kitchen
sharpener, which you need to do often.
A Stanley blade lasts about one cut, and then the point blunts and starts to
tear the paper.
I use a 4" scraper as a straightedge held firmly against the bit you don't
want to tear. I find this easier than a plastering trowel, which I've seen
the pros use.
The battery thing that perforates the paper is ok but painfully slow, and
doesn't get right into corners. Mine's at the back of a drawer somewhere

For more tips in removing and installing wallpaper, you can read our
free how-to information here...

Installing wallpaper:
http://www.walltowallwallpaper.com/hanging1.htm

Difficult Areas and Tricky Spots: