robo hippy

Default Dead Trees

I have had a couple is times when I've gotter trees that had died while
standing "a year or two ago". It seems that in every instance, the wood
will crack and check almost imediatly. It doesn't matter if I turn it
first, or seal the logs and keep them covered, even during our wet
Oregon winters. Is it just me, or does this happen with most "dead"
trees?
robo hippy

havana bill & holly

"robo hippy" wrote in message
I have had a couple is times when I've gotter trees that had died while
standing "a year or two ago". It seems that in every instance, the wood
will crack and check almost imediatly. It doesn't matter if I turn it
first, or seal the logs and keep them covered, even during our wet
Oregon winters. Is it just me, or does this happen with most "dead"
trees?

One of our dead oak limbs fell a couple of years ago & DH cut it into
sections & then let them sit for a couple of years. He just sliced them
into small boards for me (I build dollhouse furniture) & aside from a little
spalting they look fine. I shall certainly take care when turning little
table legs to watch out for problems. Our N FL winters may not be as wet as
yours, but we had a bit of wet weather this past summer.

George

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had a couple is times when I've gotter trees that had died while
standing "a year or two ago". It seems that in every instance, the wood
will crack and check almost imediatly. It doesn't matter if I turn it
first, or seal the logs and keep them covered, even during our wet
Oregon winters. Is it just me, or does this happen with most "dead"
trees?
robo hippy

No reason why it should if you're treating it properly, which is to say as
if it were still unseasoned wood.

If the bark remains on a dead stander, it will continue to hold a lot of
moisture.

mac davis

On 4 Mar 2005 16:17:53 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

I have had a couple is times when I've gotter trees that had died while
standing "a year or two ago". It seems that in every instance, the wood
will crack and check almost imediatly. It doesn't matter if I turn it
first, or seal the logs and keep them covered, even during our wet
Oregon winters. Is it just me, or does this happen with most "dead"
trees?
robo hippy

yep.. I get a lot of fallen wood from friends and it seems to either crack or
have soft spots in over half of it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing