DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pruning trees in the winter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189905-pruning-trees-winter.html)

jb January 21st 07 09:02 PM

Pruning trees in the winter

I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

Eigenvector January 21st 07 09:15 PM

Pruning trees in the winter

"jb" wrote in message
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning as
time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem with
this?

I've heard numerous comments about this,
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...and_shrubs.htm

Seems to sum it up nicely. Basically tree branches can break at any time of
the year so cutting off limbs in an of itself won't hurt the tree - but you
have to ponder what the pruning is for .

My own state's department of ecology also indicates that painting the
affected part doesn't help and letting it heal naturally works just fine.
But again, I'd start surfing Google for more input.

Felder January 21st 07 09:35 PM

Pruning trees in the winter

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

If it were me I'd wait until late winter/early spring. That's when the
tree/shrub will be starting to grow again and will be able to heal the
cuts. I suggest asking the folks in Rec.Gardens before doing any
cutting. If possible tell them what species of tree or shrub. But, I
always wait until early spring before doing any prunning.

-Felder

Joseph Meehan January 22nd 07 01:47 AM

Pruning trees in the winter

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some
pruning as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any
problem with this?

The ideal time varies with the area and the type of tree. You can
contact your local county extension service (US government) or what ever it
may be called in other countries. They can give you good local information.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

oo Mike oo January 22nd 07 04:10 AM

Pruning trees in the winter

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:02:33 -0500, jb wrote:

I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/h...prune.htm#when
This is the info that I go by, lots of useful info here

Jeff Wisnia January 22nd 07 05:34 AM

Pruning trees in the winter

jb wrote:
I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning
as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem
with this?

My uncle Schlomo tought me that the best time for pruning was anytime
the tools were sharp. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia