Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homeowner's insurance deductible

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Dec 2016 16:16:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

My deductible is $1000. That lowers my premium. You can just call
your insurance agent to get the info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 8:31:11 AM UTC-8, Vic Smith wrote:
On 1 Dec 2016 16:16:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

My deductible is $1000. That lowers my premium. You can just call
your insurance agent to get the info.

the higher deductible the better - in the long run
[i always get the highest possible]

not to mention,
[any] claims will tend to increase your premiums - i think

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

In other words, yer ****ed.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a
stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

My deductible is $2500. Lowers the annual premium.

Zero claims in 15 years.

Not very smart to put in small claims, your rates will go up or they may
drop you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a
stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

You do realize, I hope, that you can have $0.00 deductible if you wish. Or
$5000. It's up to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK
Thu, 01 Dec 2016
16:16:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and
a stolen car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible.
Currently I'm hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's
report - they won't answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for
report! sigh

Depending on the policy I'm looking at, my deductible is anywhere
from $500 to $1000. The higher your deductible here, the lower the
premiums are. Remember, insurance is only for the stuff you can't
replace/repair cost wise on your own. For the small things, leave the
insurance company alone and make the repairs yourself, out of pocket.
Don't get your insurance rates raised and earn your self a reputation
as a small claims abuser. They may drop you as a result and other
companies will charge extra if/when they decide to offer you
services.

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable,
maybe $100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not
$500. What do you pay? If less than me, I may be changing
policies.

Most of the people I know irl have deductibles between $500 to $1000
like myself. I'd say it's common practice. A few people have much
higher deductibles, but, they pay next to nothing on their premiums.
None of us contact our insurance companies for small things. As, we'd
rather just pay out of pocket unless the damage well exceeds our
deductible.

--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Dec 2016 16:16:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

You can get just about any deductible you want, for a price. Up here
in Ontario Canada $1000 deductible is pretty standard, $500 costs a
fair bit more. I won't submit a clain for under about $2000 damage -
every clain you put in hurts your insurability and raises your rates.
Insurance is for catastrophic damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Dec 2016 16:16:53 GMT, KenK wrote in

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

You're getting ripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2016 10:10 PM, Diesel wrote:

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable,
maybe $100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not
$500. What do you pay? If less than me, I may be changing
policies.

Most of the people I know irl have deductibles between $500 to $1000
like myself. I'd say it's common practice. A few people have much
higher deductibles, but, they pay next to nothing on their premiums.
None of us contact our insurance companies for small things. As, we'd
rather just pay out of pocket unless the damage well exceeds our
deductible.

I have $1000 deductible. In 52 years of home ownership I have never
made a claim. I see no reason to pay a higher premium to get a lower
deductible. I'm well ahead.

f you cannot cover the deducible you probably should not own a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:54:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That is probably true. Most unexpected losses are not covered by
insurance anyway. Bad appliances, bad roofs etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 14:01:58 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 2016-12-02 1:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

We have a $2K deductible, never a claim. The only time I dad damage to
my house was about four years ago, a piece of ice fell of a plane going
overhead. Fixed it with a trip to Lowe's and to minutes time, why claim it.

Same here I have had homeowners insurance for 54 years and on 2 homes
for a number of them, no claims. When Charley came through I had some
damage and if I had called someone it might have justified a claim but
we took care of it ourselves pretty cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 07:57:04 -0600, VinnyB
wrote:

On 1 Dec 2016 16:16:53 GMT, KenK wrote in

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

You're getting ripped.

Not neccesarily. Depends what he's paying.

"If you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first
quality prices. If you settle for oats that have already been through
the horse they come a bit cheaper"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/16 11:16 AM, KenK wrote:
Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

For me, homeowner's insurance is catastrophe insurance.

If you file nickel and dime claims, your premium will skyrocket and
eventually they'll decline to renew your policy. You'll also be
blacklisted in the national insurance database so most of the other
companies won't write you either...or charge outlandish premiums.

--
The reason stupid gangbangers hold their handguns sideways and parallel
to the ground is that’s the way they come in the box…
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

Twice this past month or two I've had insurance claims - theft and a stolen
car's damage to my property. Both times $500 deductible. Currently I'm
hoping the car has insurance - waiting for sheriff's report - they won't
answer my phone query about it. $4.50 for report! sigh

$4.50 is cheap. Let the insurance pay for it. Usually the local agents come
with their checkbooks to pay for them.

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable, maybe
$100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not $500. What do you
pay? If less than me, I may be changing policies.

TIA

See other posters responses.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 12:08:57 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
writes:

[...]

Remember, you have insurance to avoid losses you can't afford.
Set the deductible with that in mind. Higher will save
you money in the long run.

Don't treat insurance as a bet you think you have good odds on.
The insurance companies have statisticians that have all
the claim data.

--
Dan Espen

+1

Higher deductible lowers the premium. You are in effect, self-insuring
small claims. And then you can just do the repair, instead of dealing
with adjusters, getting estimates for the insurance company, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski Fri,
02 Dec 2016 17:54:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 12/1/2016 10:10 PM, Diesel wrote:

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a
deductable, maybe $100 or $200 to protect from many minor
claims, but not $500. What do you pay? If less than me, I may be
changing policies.

Most of the people I know irl have deductibles between $500 to
$1000 like myself. I'd say it's common practice. A few people
have much higher deductibles, but, they pay next to nothing on
their premiums. None of us contact our insurance companies for
small things. As, we'd rather just pay out of pocket unless the
damage well exceeds our deductible.

I have $1000 deductible. In 52 years of home ownership I have
never made a claim. I see no reason to pay a higher premium to
get a lower deductible. I'm well ahead.

I think? I wrote that, pretty much, above.

f you cannot cover the deducible you probably should not own a
house.

Agreed. Personally though, if the repair is going to cost me.. say,
$250 in parts and my own labor, I'm going for the $250 in parts and
my own labor. Why give my insurance company $500 (or more) just to do
what I can do myself, for half! of the cost? It seems, very stupid,
to me, to file a claim for something that will cost less than any of
the deductibles. It's not a matter of being unable to pay the $500 or
even $1000 deductible, it's a matter of not being stupid about it in
my case. I'm not so lazy and/or incompetent that I can't do the damn
job myself in most cases.

--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 9:38:36 PM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:
[...]

And many companies, once you file a claim or two for those $500 things,
raise your rates.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 12/5/2016 8:36 AM, trader_4 wrote:

And many companies, once you file a claim or two for those $500 things,
raise your rates.

In my case it was just one claim. When my teenage son backed into a
neighbor's car I had the insurance take care of it. Bad move. The rates
went up enough that I paid what the repair cost several times over. That
was a few years ago as the kid just turned 54. Perhaps things are
different now. But I've not made a claim since. I keep a $2k deductible
on the cars and $10K on the house. So far (knocks on wood) I'm ahead.