Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Homeowner's insurance deductible

On 12/1/2016 10:10 PM, Diesel wrote:

Anyhow, is this $500 deductable standard? I can see a deductable,
maybe $100 or $200 to protect from many minor claims, but not
$500. What do you pay? If less than me, I may be changing
policies.

Most of the people I know irl have deductibles between $500 to $1000
like myself. I'd say it's common practice. A few people have much
higher deductibles, but, they pay next to nothing on their premiums.
None of us contact our insurance companies for small things. As, we'd
rather just pay out of pocket unless the damage well exceeds our
deductible.

I have $1000 deductible. In 52 years of home ownership I have never
made a claim. I see no reason to pay a higher premium to get a lower
deductible. I'm well ahead.

f you cannot cover the deducible you probably should not own a house.