Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Millennials don't have any idea on how to repair homes because

.... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

https://en.yahstar.com/foxandfriends...-election.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/zltt2cc

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

https://en.yahstar.com/foxandfriends...-election.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/zltt2cc

--
Maggie

Stereotype much?

I have 4 millennials - 2 male, 2 female. They all have tools, they all fix
things, they all live on their own, they all have jobs - and did even while
getting their degrees. They vote their conscience and they deal with the
results of their choices.

They hang out with other millennials that have tools, fix things, live on
their own, have jobs, vote their conscience and deal with the results of
their choices.

If they had pizza (or play-doe (sic)) this week, it was because they wanted
it and paid for it.

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

I wonder if the same thing happens to other groups of people besides
millennials. I wonder if there are other people that suffer from being
stereotyped just because they are a member of a certain "group". Nah,
that doesn't happen. Not at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2016 12:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

https://en.yahstar.com/foxandfriends...-election.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/zltt2cc

Stereotype much?

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

I have 4 millennials - 2 male, 2 female. They all have tools, they all fix
things, they all live on their own, they all have jobs - and did even while
getting their degrees. They vote their conscience and they deal with the
results of their choices.

They hang out with other millennials that have tools, fix things, live on
their own, have jobs, vote their conscience and deal with the results of
their choices.

If they had pizza (or play-doe (sic)) this week, it was because they wanted
it and paid for it.

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

I wonder if the same thing happens to other groups of people besides
millennials. I wonder if there are other people that suffer from being
stereotyped just because they are a member of a certain "group". Nah,
that doesn't happen. Not at all.

I have 3 millennial adult children, myself, who also aren't out there
whining and in need of play dough, counseling, or a day off just because
their candidate didn't win.

It's sad that there are actually enough of the whiny millennials that
they are beginning to give an entire generation a black eye.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 2:08:53 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 11/11/2016 12:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

https://en.yahstar.com/foxandfriends...-election.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/zltt2cc

Stereotype much?

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

You *think* it does? You said it. Don't you know who you were talking about?

[...]

Yet you lumped your own kids in with your comments.

It's sad that there are actually enough of the whiny millennials that
they are beginning to give an entire generation a black eye.

--
Maggie

....and guess who just did the punching.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2016 1:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 2:08:53 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 11/11/2016 12:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

https://en.yahstar.com/foxandfriends...-election.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/zltt2cc

Stereotype much?

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

You *think* it does? You said it. Don't you know who you were talking about?

Some things I didn't think I had to come straight out and say because
they were obvious.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 2:54:59 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

That's what everyone who stereotypes an entire group always uses as an
excuse.

"Well, I didn't mean *them*. They're OK, it's the *rest* of them that I
was talking about. You knew what I meant."

No, I only know what you *said*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

They were shocked, shocked to find out that sometimes your side loses.
Apparently it's no longer enough to get a trophy just for participating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

The press always goes for the new, the abnormal, and the entertaining --
the proverbial man bites dog stories. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind
of journalism congeals into history. Most young people in the 60s were
not hippies or anti-war protesters, but wasn't as interesting as the
stereotypes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 5:43:43 PM UTC-5, Neill Massello wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

The press always goes for the new, the abnormal, and the entertaining --
the proverbial man bites dog stories. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind
of journalism congeals into history. Most young people in the 60s were
not hippies or anti-war protesters, but wasn't as interesting as the
stereotypes.

It's not just the press. It's anyone that stereotypes, as shown in the OP.

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed
to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2016 2:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I don't have issues with stereotyping groups of people because I know
that any stereotype has exceptions. It's a given... as in, my grown
adult children are millennials, BUT they don't fit the stereotype
represented in the video. I don't see that as a problem, but you
obviously took offense to it.

"Well, I didn't mean *them*. They're OK, it's the *rest* of them that I
was talking about. You knew what I meant."

That's how many people communicate. I just accept it.

No, I only know what you *said*.

You could have just asked if I meant to include everyone. I really
don't think it's necessary to explain the obvious, but I will. I'm
sorry what I said offended you. It wasn't meant to do so.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2016 4:43 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Muggles wrote:

... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

They were shocked, shocked to find out that sometimes your side loses.
Apparently it's no longer enough to get a trophy just for participating.

yeah ... no trophy this time!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

The press always goes for the new, the abnormal, and the entertaining --
the proverbial man bites dog stories. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind
of journalism congeals into history. Most young people in the 60s were
not hippies or anti-war protesters, but wasn't as interesting as the
stereotypes.

It's not just the press. It's anyone that stereotypes, as shown in the OP.

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed
to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".

I'm not all that sensitive that I can't realize that even the best of
stereotyping has it's exceptions. I don't see what the big deal is.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2016 3:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Stereotype much?

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

You *think* it does? You said it. Don't you know who you were talking about?

Some things I didn't think I had to come straight out and say because
they were obvious.

--
Maggie

That's what everyone who stereotypes an entire group always uses as an
excuse.

"Well, I didn't mean *them*. They're OK, it's the *rest* of them that I
was talking about. You knew what I meant."

No, I only know what you *said*.

Gosh, don't take it so personal. It does apply to a large percentage
but like all generalizations there are exceptions. Be proud of your
kids but look around and you will see a lot of spoiled brats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 15:19:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed
to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".

She has a "conflict of interest" :- )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:58:36 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election… They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

They're all waitng for a smartphone app to do their home repairs for
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being
consoled after election€¦ They're also giving them crayons and play-doe
smile

Good grief.

They're all waitng for a smartphone app to do their home repairs for
them.

All?

You apparently have the same problem as the OP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 6:38:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/11/2016 3:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Stereotype much?

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

You *think* it does? You said it. Don't you know who you were talking about?

Some things I didn't think I had to come straight out and say because
they were obvious.

--
Maggie

That's what everyone who stereotypes an entire group always uses as an
excuse.

"Well, I didn't mean *them*. They're OK, it's the *rest* of them that I
was talking about. You knew what I meant."

No, I only know what you *said*.

Gosh, don't take it so personal.

There was nothing "personal" about my response. I merely used my kids as
an example to show that she was stereotyping. I also mentioned their friends
- who I have no real personal connection to - and she used her own kids to
disprove her own comments.

Had she she said "Blacks are welfare thieves, Muslims are terrorists or
Jews are cheap, I would have responded with (basically) the same comments
and they wouldn't have been personal either.

It does apply to a large percentage
but like all generalizations there are exceptions.

When those generalizations result in stereotyping an entire group of people,
they shouldn't be used.

Be proud of your
kids but look around and you will see a lot of spoiled brats.

....which does not justify stereotyping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

The press always goes for the new, the abnormal, and the entertaining --
the proverbial man bites dog stories. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind
of journalism congeals into history. Most young people in the 60s were
not hippies or anti-war protesters, but wasn't as interesting as the
stereotypes.

It's not just the press. It's anyone that stereotypes, as shown in the OP.

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed
to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".

I'm not all that sensitive that I can't realize that even the best of
stereotyping has it's exceptions. I don't see what the big deal is.

--
Maggie

"even the best of stereotyping" - What the heck does that mean?

Show your post to your own millennials and ask them if they think it's a big
deal. If they don't, have them look up the definition of stereotyping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2016 1:08 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's not just the press. It's anyone that stereotypes, as shown in the OP.

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed
to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".

I'm not all that sensitive that I can't realize that even the best of
stereotyping has it's exceptions. I don't see what the big deal is.

--
Maggie

"even the best of stereotyping" - What the heck does that mean?

Show your post to your own millennials and ask them if they think it's a big
deal. If they don't, have them look up the definition of stereotyping.

I have three of 6 grandkids in that age group. Of the 3, the definition
fits one of them. Am I insulted about the stereotyping? Hell no, I'm
smart enough to know there are always exception.

I was a teenager in the 60's. To many, it was an era of free love and
flower children using drugs. None of that fit me, While some of my
classmates smoked weed, I bought a house and married at 20.

Every generation has its title and stereotyping but to be offended, IMO,
is being overly sensitive. Living in New England a lot of people think
I must be a Patriots fan. In 35 years here, I've never watched a Pats
game. From watching TV I can name two players though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 10:35:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Why do you continue to use words like personal, insulted and offended?

She stereotyped a specific group and I pointed it out. What makes you think I feel
insulted or offended? I can assure you that I do not feel any of those.

It doesn't sound like you are insulted/offended if someone thinks you are a Pats
fan, it sounds like you simply say they are wrong. In this case, it's the same for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

A LARGE part of the reason MANY millemials have no idea how to
repair homes is they HAVE NEVER BEEN TAUGHT.
Technical and vocational training has virtually dissappeared from the
public education system in North America.. The educational systewm has
been stronly slanted towaers "sliding them in" to college programs to
learn either the "liberal arts" or "digital world" subjects that just
MIGHT give them a leg up in the "service sector" jobs that have all
but replaced the manufacturing anf manual technology jobs of the past.

Add top that the FACT that much of the educational system in the USA
is well beyond being "broken" and the average attention span has been
reduced to somewhere just barely north of 3 minutes - (again - mabee
over-generalizing - but I WAS one of those technical training
instructors(in one of the better "school districts" or "boards" in
Ontario - which was a sort of "beacon" in the tech education system in
North America) WAY back before these millenials were the proverbial
"spark in their daddies' eyes" - and the trend was already starting -
with de-streaming, the "new math" curriculum, and the "no kid left
behind" mentality just poking it's way into the secondary school
sytem.

By the time I returned to Canada afterr teaching 2 years abroad, I
had no interest in returning to the classroom under the new direction.

Add to that the FACT that the parents of many of these millenials are
those who were "not allowed to fail" in the eighties and nineties, and
therefore do not have the skills to pass on th their (millenial)
offspring, and you have most of "the rest of the story"

The educational system in North America - and certain parts of the USA
in particular, has TOTALLY let down the young folks of America.

To Mr Trump - I say GOOD LUCK "Making America Great Again".

Even IF he succeeds in forcing manufacturing jobs back to America, it
will take another TWO GENERATIONS to get the workforce back to the
level of manufacturing competence that existed 30 years ago.

The number of bodies (hopefully with brains attached) required to run
a manufacturing enterprise today is down from 30 - 60% from 35 years
ago due in no small part to automation..Assembly quality is up by
roughly the same percentage.

Manufacturing will have to be restored to the responsibility of
engineers instead of accountants and stock traders if actual product
quality is going to approach the levels of the past - and workers are
going to need to settle for lower wage expectations. Meanwhile
Americans (and Canadians, and everybody else) are going to have to be
willing to "pony up" and pay the price.

I's going to take more than a week's payuchecque to buy a new TV, and
a years wages to buy a new car.

Also, To have a viable "localized" manufacturing culture, you are
going to have LESS CHOICE, and You will need to choose between quality
goods that last a long time at high prices due to limitted production
(dictated by low demand) or a lot of cheap crap that needs to be
replaced often to keep the volume of manufacturing high enough to keep
the workers busy,

CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

We've had this discussion with our 3 millennials, and they agree that
the stereotype is true. They, like many people, realize that any
stereotype has exceptions.

--
Maggie