PaPaPeng

Default Idea: Levee Repair

Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake
Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into
the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for
many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating
cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches.
They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are
available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.
RicodJour

PaPaPeng wrote:
Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake
Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into
the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for
many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating
cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches.
They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are
available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

The ones that are damaged, sure why not. It looked to me like most of
them just slid back and forth, so they may be able to be pushed/lifted
back into place. They're not going to throw them away unless they've
made sure they're damaged and that there's no way to save them. Too
expensive an item.

wkearney99

That's an excellent idea.

Not really. By the time the barges and cranes that would be needed could be
moved into place the water would likely have subsided. One doesn't simply
move a multi-ton segment of roadway without significant effort and
equipment. That and it'd be just as complex to move them out of the way
once a permanent fix was built. It's far better to use other local rubble
or material as fill. It appears that's what they're doing by chopping up a
local roadway to fill a gap.

Sacramento Dave

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake
Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into
the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for
many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating
cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches.
They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are
available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

I think what were going to see is and are seeing already
Why don't we?
What if?
We should of ?
Why didn't we ?
They should of?
I told them ?
We new?
We are?
I think you get the point, The list is endless.

Duane Bozarth

Sacramento Dave wrote:

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake
Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into
the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for
many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating
cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches.
They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are
available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

I think what were going to see is and are seeing already
Why don't we?
What if?
We should of ?
Why didn't we ?
They should of?
I told them ?
We new?
We are?
I think you get the point, The list is endless.

Amen! 20/20 hindsight Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

Not that some things obviously could have been done better/quicker, but

CR

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake
Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into
the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for
many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating
cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches.
They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are
available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

They have to fill the breach before they can shore it up. That's what they
are doing right now. They are using more than sandbags, they have trucks,
track hoes, dozers and cranes on the site. I was just watching them on the
tube. It looks like they have a pretty good handle on at least the breach
they were showing. They were filling and pushing the material across to fill
the levee and a crane was driving sheet pile. I think they know what they
are doing without any help from us.
CR

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:28:22 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

The sandbags being dropped into the breach have cement already mixed,
so it will be stronger than at first glance....

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Duane Bozarth

CR wrote:
... I think they know what they are doing without any help from us.

Aw, shoot! Damn'd competent Corps...
G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
CR wrote:

... I think they know what they are doing without any help from us.

Aw, shoot! Damn'd competent Corps...

I've yet to hear anyone's called Bob Villa, or the Home & Garden folks
in on it.
Goedjn

That's an excellent idea.

Not really. By the time the barges and cranes that would be needed could be
moved into place the water would likely have subsided. One doesn't simply
move a multi-ton segment of roadway without significant effort and
equipment. That and it'd be just as complex to move them out of the way
once a permanent fix was built. It's far better to use other local rubble
or material as fill. It appears that's what they're doing by chopping up a
local roadway to fill a gap.

Personally I want thousands of big-ass kevlar water bags, tied
to pilings...

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:31:15 -0400, Goedjn wrote:
That's an excellent idea.

Not really. By the time the barges and cranes that would be needed could be
moved into place the water would likely have subsided. One doesn't simply
move a multi-ton segment of roadway without significant effort and
equipment. That and it'd be just as complex to move them out of the way

Katrina took out plenty a water navigation devices for the local
pilots. When the pilots run the waterways and determine them safe,
ships can get in.

once a permanent fix was built. It's far better to use other local rubble
or material as fill. It appears that's what they're doing by chopping up a

There will be piles and a year or so of mountains of rubble (like
Andrew in Miami), it will need to (or might) be barged out

local roadway to fill a gap.

Personally I want thousands of big-ass kevlar water bags, tied
to pilings...

The high rises are still there and they have huge pilings...this levy
once shored up should become the freeways and highways out of the THE
Big Easy! Granted they fail too, but they will need much more work to
meet the future needs.

Every house rebuilt ought to be on stilts, flood the place and let it
be another Venice /\/00\/\