wgd

Default Refrigerator repair story with a happy ending !

My 10 year old Roper/Whirlpool 20 cu. ft. side-by-side refrigerator
stopped cooling properly. I picked out a local appliance repair shop
form the yellow pages. They have been in business since 1957 and have an
acceptable record with the BBB. Their basic charge for an on site repair
call is $89.95 (Phila. suburbs). This fee is then applied against the
total repair bill.

After the repair guy returns the paper work with his diagnosis they
determine the total repair cost. The customer is then called and has the
choice whether or not to go ahead with the repairs.

I paid attention to what the repair guy was doing. He was mainly
checking the operation of what I later found out was the evaporator fan
motor. It was working sporadically or not at all. The guy spent about 15
minutes doing the work.

I wanted to get an idea what the repair would cost. I had just paid for
a $950 air conditioner repair on my truck and didn't need any more large
repair bills.

The evaporator fan motor is just a small electric motor mounted above
the evaporator coils in this model. I researched the price online and
found out that they cost about $50. So, I figured this would be a
relatively cheap repair. The repair shop called with a repair price of
$359.76!

I was shocked. Before I did anything else I wanted to find out if I
could remove the existing motor. It wasn't hard at all. It was held it
place by a small plastic bracket. The only hard part was figuring out
how to remove the fan blade before the motor could be removed. It was
just a pressure fit over the motor drive shaft.

Once I knew how to remove the motor I knew I would be able to install a
new one. So I went ahead and ordered the parts from www.partselect.com
for my Roper model (RS20EKXDW00). They carry genuine Whirlpool
replacement parts. In addition to the evaporator fan motor I ordered a
new fan blade, and two new rubber mounting "grommets". The total
including shipping was $68.36. I received the parts two days after
placing the order.

It took me about 15 minutes to carefully install the new evaporator fan
motor. Now my refrigerator is working like new and I saved a couple of
hundred dollars. Plus I get the satisfaction of doing the repair myself
instead of paying an absurd amount for such a simple repair.

This was my first attempt at any type of appliance repair.

Warren

Travis Jordan

wgd wrote:
Once I knew how to remove the motor I knew I would be able to install
a new one. So I went ahead and ordered the parts from
www.partselect.com for my Roper model (RS20EKXDW00). They carry
genuine Whirlpool replacement parts. In addition to the evaporator
fan motor I ordered a new fan blade, and two new rubber mounting
"grommets". The total including shipping was $68.36. I received the
parts two days after placing the order.

Good job and congratulations.

Next time make a note that Roper is built by Whirlpool and the
evaporator fan motor / blade is a very common failure. So the parts are
widely available. Just for example:

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...T_ID=WHP482731

Edwin Pawlowski

"wgd" wrote in message
ganews.com...
Their basic charge for an on site repair
call is $89.95 (Phila. suburbs). This fee is then applied against the
total repair bill.

OK, that seems fair.

I figured this would be a
relatively cheap repair. The repair shop called with a repair price of
$359.76!

They may be reputable as far as cp,[;aomts. but that is not a b argain at
all.

including shipping was $68.36. I received the parts two days after
placing the order.

It took me about 15 minutes to carefully install the new evaporator fan
motor.

Now that's a happy ending. This is a common failure and I've done them a
few times in my fridge and for others.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

David Martel

wgd,

Aren't you still on the hook for the initial visit and diagnosis
(89.95)?. Anyway, congratulations. Now that you know how easy DIY is keep it
up. Before you know it you'll be posting here with advice and
misinformation.

Dave M.

Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:47:51 -0400, wgd wrote:

My 10 year old Roper/Whirlpool 20 cu. ft. side-by-side refrigerator
stopped cooling properly.

The evaporator fan motor is just a small electric motor mounted above
the evaporator coils in this model. I researched the price online and
found out that they cost about $50. So, I figured this would be a
relatively cheap repair. The repair shop called with a repair price of
$359.76!

I was shocked.

My experience with appliance repair folks is that 90% of them are
worse rip offs then car repair places. For most people who can't do
the repair themselves it's often very little more money to just by a
new appliance then have these shysters do a repair on it.
Vic Dura

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:47:51 -0400, in alt.home.repair
Refrigerator repair story with a happy ending ! wgd
wrote:

This was my first attempt at any type of appliance repair.

Nice work!

Mikepier

Just out of curiousity, the fridge was not cooling because of this fan?
What does this fan do?

Travis Jordan

Mikepier wrote:
Just out of curiousity, the fridge was not cooling because of this
fan? What does this fan do?

The only heat absorbing element in most consumer refrigerators is the
evaporator coil in the freezer. The evaporator fan circulates the air
from the refrigerator across the freezer coil, thus absorbing heat from
the refrigerator compartment.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
The only heat absorbing element in most consumer refrigerators is the
evaporator coil in the freezer. The evaporator fan circulates the air
from the refrigerator across the freezer coil, thus absorbing heat from
the refrigerator compartment.

Typical symptom is the freeze is just fine, but the fridge compartment is
much too warm.

Des Perado

Good on ya, WGD!
It is difficult to become familiar with appliance repair because they fail
so seldom and usually when they do, they are several years old and it is
probably time to buy a new, more energy effiicient model.
I have used my Public Library on several occasions to diagnose and repair
appliances. They have several books on appliance repair that help you
diagnose the problem based on the symptoms and also illustrate the
procedures to do the repair.
Des

Stormin Mormon

Blows cold air from the freezer (where the cold coil is) into the fridge
(which doesn't have a cold coil).

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just out of curiousity, the fridge was not cooling because of this fan?
What does this fan do?

mcred2

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
The only heat absorbing element in most consumer refrigerators is the
evaporator coil in the freezer. The evaporator fan circulates the air
from the refrigerator across the freezer coil, thus absorbing heat from
the refrigerator compartment.

Typical symptom is the freeze is just fine, but the fridge compartment is
much too warm.

I am having the same symptoms with my fridge. I have replaced the fan
in the freezer and it blows cold air very well into the freezer.
Problem is cold does not get to fridge compartment. Freezer is about
11 degrees and fridge is a little over 60 degrees.
This is a Kenmore refridgerator about 20 years old. It has an ice
maker that I have removed because we did not need it as much as we
needed freezer space. What could be blocking the air flow between the
two? Anyone know where I can find generic diagrams or repair maunals on
line?

Travis Jordan

mcred2 wrote:
I am having the same symptoms with my fridge. I have replaced the fan
in the freezer and it blows cold air very well into the freezer.
Problem is cold does not get to fridge compartment. Freezer is about
11 degrees and fridge is a little over 60 degrees.

Evaporator fan motor not running or fan blade slipping.
If frost-free, defective defrost timer or thermostat.
Airflow blocked from freezer compartment.
Freezer control turned to "coldest" setting blocking air flow to
refrigerator side.
Defective door switch on older models.
Light staying on with door closed.

George E. Cawthon

mcred2 wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

If the freezer were 0 or -5 where it should be,
the fridge would probably be 40. Doesn't sound
like the problem is transfer of cold air from
freezer to fridge, but just plain not getting cold
enough-- not turned up enough or the compressor
just not operating correctly.
George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"wgd" wrote in message
ganews.com...

Their basic charge for an on site repair
call is $89.95 (Phila. suburbs). This fee is then applied against the
total repair bill.

OK, that seems fair.

I figured this would be a
relatively cheap repair. The repair shop called with a repair price of
$359.76!

They may be reputable as far as cp,[;aomts. but that is not a b argain at
all.

including shipping was $68.36. I received the parts two days after
placing the order.

It took me about 15 minutes to carefully install the new evaporator fan
motor.

Now that's a happy ending. This is a common failure and I've done them a
few times in my fridge and for others.

I wasn't sure what the evaporator fan motor did
until the last few postings (thought it was the
fan that blows air across the coils and the water
pan in the bottom. I fixed my fan in the freezer
compartment of my Whirlpool several years ago. It
was not turning or made a noise (don't remember
which). Took it out, cleaned it, oiled, and made
sure the fan was in the correct position. No
problem in the past 10-15 years since I cleaned
and oiled it. I wonder how many of those fan
problems were caused by poor oil.

No way was the fan I repaired more costly than
$15. $350 is closer to what an inductor fan on a
furnace would cost and altho ridiculously costly,
that fan is way more complex and heavily built and
capable of resisting high temperatures than the
simple open frame fan used in the refrigerator.

Congratulations to wgd.

A Borg story with a happy ending. Robatoy Woodworking 3 May 6th 05 02:08 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM
HAPPY ENDING: Bought the wrong DRO. Grunty Grogan Metalworking 2 May 10th 04 09:41 PM