Sam Kaan

Default how to remove the old blade from a used circular saw?

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

zxcvbob

Sam Kaan wrote:
Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Put a piece of wood or stout plastic in the blade and rotate it around
until it jambs against the shoe when you rotate counterclockwise.

BTW, if try loosening it both clockwise and counterclockwise, just in case
the bolt has leftie threads.

Best regards,
Bob
AJScott

In article
.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Hold down the saw blade from spinning with your thumb or hand as you use
that Allen wrench (that's what that "wrench socket thing" is called;
turn it in a counterclockwise direction) to unbolt the blade. It should
loosen right nice. If the bolt housing keeps spinning when you do this,
you have an unusable saw.

Make sure you do this with the saw unplugged, too -- just in case.

AJS
Sam Kaan

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

[...]

Well, that's just it. It keeps spinning as I use the wrench on it.
Why is this unusable?
U don't mean to say the gear is messed up inside do you?
I picked this up at a flea market. I didn't think of trying to get the
blade
out when I picked it up. After all its a Craftsman and the whole concept
seems very simple. Never thought the housing could be broken.

zxcvbob

Sam Kaan wrote:
"AJScott" wrote in message

In article
le.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

[...]

*What* keeps spinning? The blade? Or does the blade slip and the bolt
turns the motor?

You can always use an impact wrench on it; just make sure you turn it the
right direction!

Bob

AJScott

In article
.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

[...]

Well, Sam, if you're saying that the whole circular housing within the
hole of the blade keeps spinning while you're holding your hand tight
against the blade (thereby stopping the blade itself from moving), no
mattr which way you turn the Allen wrench, there's something wrong.

If this indeed the case, take the whole mess down to the power tool
section your nearest Sears store. Bob Vila tells us Craftsman **** is
guaranteed for life, so it might be interesting to see what sort of
hoops you have to jump thru to get a brand new circular saw.

AJS
Sam Kaan

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 03 Feb 2004, Sam Kaan wrote:

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am
using that wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt
and the whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the
wrench to loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

(sigh)

People are jerking you around (or are stupid?)

There will be a small hole in the blade. Stick the biggest
screwdriver you have that will fit through that hole into that
hole so that the steel shaft is parallel to the bottom edge of
the saw.

Turn the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it.

That "clink/thud" you here will be the screwdriver smacking up
against the bottom of the saw. It will hold the blade in place
so you can loosen the bolt.

Repeat as needed for tightening.

HTH.

Hi HTH, I just got the bolt loosen just now using the screwdriver method.
However I have to tell you, there is no hold in the blade itself.
What I did was jammed the screw driver against the teeth of the blade.
That's
right I stick the screw driver in where the teeth is, then when I used the
wrench
the bolt spin the blade a little so that the teeth jammed against the screw
driver
thereby holding it in place and I was about to loosen the bolt and then
remove
the blade.

However my question of concern is still whether the saw is useable or not.
When applied
with electricity the thing moves. Its ok right???

AJScott

In article ,
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

People are jerking you around (or are stupid?)

There will be a small hole in the blade. Stick the biggest
screwdriver you have that will fit through that hole into that
hole so that the steel shaft is parallel to the bottom edge of
the saw.

Turn the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it.

That "clink/thud" you here will be the screwdriver smacking up
against the bottom of the saw. It will hold the blade in place
so you can loosen the bolt.

Repeat as needed for tightening.

HTH.

See? This is what you get when this country lets in foreigners who
scratch off the dots on their womenfolks' foreheads, find a 7 or 11
under it, and win a convenience store in America. They're great at
selling diapers for $22 a bundle and ice at $10 a bag, but it hasn't
occured to them that a screwdriver isn't an Allen wrench.

Go figure. America's still a fine place regardless, tho.

AJS
AJScott

In article
.rogers.com,

On 03 Feb 2004, Sam Kaan wrote:

[...]

OK, with this post I have learned my lesson when it comes to assuming
that there may actually be clueless home-owning dolts just finding this
NG who have never actually been exposed to the different facets of
owning real, live power tools.

Hey, maybe Rapala makes a lure we guys can use on stupid chicks, too, eh?

My apologies to Isheetz. Charge every stupid Anglo who wanders into the
store $10 for a pack a Camels instead of the customary $6, and $3 for a
pack of matches. We basically deserve it.

MUHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAA.

AJS
Sam Kaan

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,

On 03 Feb 2004, Sam Kaan wrote:

[...]

Don't treat yourself too hard you know. Like every trade, there are new
comers
and people who are experts such as I-zheet. I am humble in admitting I know
not
much about these tools. So there you go. Just take it easy.

Erik

Well, Sam, if you're saying that the whole circular housing within the
hole of the blade keeps spinning while you're holding your hand tight
against the blade (thereby stopping the blade itself from moving), no
mattr which way you turn the Allen wrench, there's something wrong.

If this indeed the case, take the whole mess down to the power tool
section your nearest Sears store. Bob Vila tells us Craftsman **** is
guaranteed for life, so it might be interesting to see what sort of
hoops you have to jump thru to get a brand new circular saw.

AJS

Only C*****man hand tools are covered under the unlimited warranty, not
power stuff. Cutting tools also aren't covered. (But funny thing, files
and cold chisles are). There are many other holes in the warranty, like
torque wrenches and vices aren't unlimited.

I've taken back several times my weight busted sockets, extensions,
ratchets (they give rebuilt ratchets for warranty exchange now),
screwdrivers, files, punches and chisels... all used in hard continuous
commercial use. I did the buying part way back in the 70's, and I'm sure
I've saved many thousands of dollars over the years by utilizing their
most excellent warranty.

C*****man stuff isn't suitable for some jobs, but for most homeowner
needs, it's fine. I've never been a fan of their power stuff... or
pretty much anything they don't warranty for life. Their warranty
doesn't cover anything you lose either... so you gotta be carefull about
that.

Their bent, busted or worn out tools you find at garage sales and the
like for a song are also a good buy, as you can return them for new.

Erik
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:24:29 -0600 zxcvbob
posted:

Sam Kaan wrote:
Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Put a piece of wood or stout plastic in the blade and rotate it around
until it jambs against the shoe when you rotate counterclockwise.

Good advice.

BTW, if try loosening it both clockwise and counterclockwise, just in case
the bolt has leftie threads.

In a lot of cases, it pays to try tightening a bolt if loosening it
won't work. Although if it really does have right handed threads, I
don't think it likely to help in this particular case.

Another thing is to use a bigger wrench or, dare I say it, put a pipe
on a smaller wrench (one you don't mind breaking if necessary,
although I suppose if you are weak in the first place, a pipe 2 times
as long only makes you as strong as someone who is strong. So you
won't break anything.)

Best regards,
Bob

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

George E. Cawthon

Sam Kaan wrote:

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,
"Sam Kaan" wrote:

[...]

When you try to use the saw does it spin ok? If you try to
cut a wood does the motor keep going but the blade stops?
If the latter happens the clutch is probably shot, but it
could be that the blade is just not tightened correctly on
the arbor; it is supposed to have a special washer between
the blade and the nut that allows some slippage.

You may be able to loosen the nut if you spray it with WD40,
block the blade, and then strike the wrench with a hammer.
I-zheet M'drurz

On 04 Feb 2004, AJScott wrote:
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

People are jerking you around (or are stupid?)

There will be a small hole in the blade. Stick the biggest
screwdriver you have that will fit through that hole into
that hole so that the steel shaft is parallel to the bottom
edge of the saw.

Turn the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it.

That "clink/thud" you here will be the screwdriver smacking
up against the bottom of the saw. It will hold the blade in
place so you can loosen the bolt.

Repeat as needed for tightening.

HTH.

See? This is what you get when this country lets in foreigners
who scratch off the dots on their womenfolks' foreheads, find a
7 or 11 under it, and win a convenience store in America.

Are you going to -buy- that $15 9-Volt battery, or just stand
there and fondle it???

They're great at selling diapers for $22 a bundle and ice at $10
a bag, but it hasn't occured to them that a screwdriver isn't an
Allen wrench.

I do not know of this Allen Wrench person. Is he saying that
he has worked here?? I keep very very good records you know.
Please keep it moving, those fresh $1.75 donuts won't stay
that way for--

SIR! SIR! I SEE YOU STUFFING THOSE SWEET N LOWS IN
YOUR POCKET!!! PLEASE TO NOT DO THAT!

-- so where was I? I don't know, dowsn't matter. I have to
raise the gas prices by a quarter for tonight's snow storm,
excuse me sir.

Go figure. America's still a fine place regardless, tho.

Indeed.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
I-zheet M'drurz

On 04 Feb 2004, Sam Kaan wrote:

However my question of concern is still whether the saw is
useable or not. When applied
with electricity the thing moves. Its ok right???

Don't see why it wouldn't be. Just be sure the blade is
installed so it rotates in the proper direction, tighten
it down, and fire it up. If you've never used one before,
get somebody who HAS to give you a 5 minute lesson, else
you may hurt yourself.

Oh yeah, ALWAYS respect it for what it is: something that
could cause you major bodily harm if used wrong. Familiarity
breeds contempt, or something like that. In simpler terms:
Cockiness can kill.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

Childfree Scott

You neeed two wrenches to remove the blade. One is to remove the
outer nut. and the other to hold the axle in place. I used a thin
32mm bike wrench on the inside of the blade and a 1" wrench on the
outside to remove the nut. At least that's how it worked on my
vintage 1980 Rockwell (AKA Delta) tablesaw.
Anthony Diodati

Funny :) how maney people with the initials HTH are on there news groups,
must be a "common" first, middle, and last name??
Tony D.
"Sam Kaan" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

Hi HTH, I just got the bolt loosen just now using the screwdriver method.
However I have to tell you, there is no hold in the blade itself.
What I did was jammed the screw driver against the teeth of the blade.
That's
right I stick the screw driver in where the teeth is, then when I used the
wrench
the bolt spin the blade a little so that the teeth jammed against the

screw
driver
thereby holding it in place and I was about to loosen the bolt and then
remove
the blade.

However my question of concern is still whether the saw is useable or not.
When applied
with electricity the thing moves. Its ok right???

Dick Smyth

I put the saw blade in my bench vise and then loosen the bolt and bevel. I
find an adjustable wrench is easier than the spanner that comes with the
saw. (Longer handle=more torque.)
..

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
om...
You neeed two wrenches to remove the blade. One is to remove the
outer nut. and the other to hold the axle in place. I used a thin
32mm bike wrench on the inside of the blade and a 1" wrench on the
outside to remove the nut. At least that's how it worked on my
vintage 1980 Rockwell (AKA Delta) tablesaw.

Oscar_Lives

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message

Cockiness can kill.

Tom Pendergast

huh huh huh... You said "cock"!... huh huh huh....

Stormin Mormon

It's been my experience that you turn the nut in the same direction the
teeth point (loosening, that is).

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Sam Kaan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Kaan, Vegsteve wrote:
strshn2003 wrote:

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.
Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.
Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.
Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?
Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

try and unbolt that bolt and the whole blade just keeps spining.

I just had this problem with my Skil Saw. The problem ended up being that
I had a blade that was too thick in it. This caused the washer to spin
because it could not engage the square nut that just protrudes past the
blade. The solution was to use a chisel to pry the washer a bit and keep
it from spinning. Bolt came off easily after. btw: I find that using a
large vicegrip works well to hold the blade from turning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-6, Vegsteve wrote:

try and unbolt that bolt and the whole blade just keeps spining.

I just had this problem with my Skil Saw. The problem ended up being that
I had a blade that was too thick in it. This caused the washer to spin
because it could not engage the square nut that just protrudes past the
blade. The solution was to use a chisel to pry the washer a bit and keep
it from spinning. Bolt came off easily after. btw: I find that using a
large vicegrip works well to hold the blade from turning.

--

Steve, you've veg-ged-out! (by almost 12 yrs)
Posted to alt.home.repair

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

Are you saying you stop the blade but the arbor keeps spinning?

There is usually a pair of flat spots on the arbor on the back of the
blade that a skinny wrench engages. Then you spin off the nut.

You do need that skinny wrench tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

An impact will do it pretty well every time if you get a "spinner"

Posted to alt.home.repair

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

7¼" CIRCULAR saw. He's talking about a 'D' washer (I believe is the
correct nomenclature) and an arbor BOLT.

Believe that you're thinking of a table saw. Maybe I lead a sheltered
life but I've never seen a second wrench for a circular saw. Owned B&D,
Monkey Wards, Craftsman and Crapsman, Skil and Milwaukee. Some circular
saws have a locking pin that locks the arbor. I usually just let the
teeth grab onto a piece of scrap 2 by and there's no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

Yup you are right.

Clare has the right idea. Use an impact wrench. If you don't have one,
take it to an auto mechanic or someone who does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

Just remeber if it is a left hand saw (opposite normal - blade on the
left instead of the right) the bolt will be a "lefty"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

An impact wrench to remove a circ saw arbor bolt? Please.
I expect the OP jacks his car up before he breaks the lugs too.
Just lock the blade. I've done it hundreds of times, using different
methods. A locking arbor, screwdriver though a hole in the blade,
screwdriver between teeth, visegrips, even between scraps of wood in a
vise. Etc, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 05:57:35 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

If the bolt is bound up in the shaft, the blade can be stopped and the
shaft may still turn after the bolt backs out a little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that can happen. But the OP said the blade was spinning.
He just didn't know how to stop it from turning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

strshn2003 wrote:

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.
Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.
Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.
Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?
Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Yeah, that can happen. But the OP said the blade was spinning.
He just didn't know how to stop it from turning.

Vise grips do a nice job. Or C-clamp.
Toe of your boot (make sure saw is
unplugged).

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

Read the original post.The blade was turning on the arbor because the
blade was too thick and the "d" washer didn't catch.
No way to lock the arbor, so impact is the tool of choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

strshn2003 wrote:

[...]

I read it to mean the blade was spinning on the (arbor) shaft.