meirman

Default how to remove the old blade from a used circular saw?

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:24:29 -0600 zxcvbob
posted:

Sam Kaan wrote:
Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Put a piece of wood or stout plastic in the blade and rotate it around
until it jambs against the shoe when you rotate counterclockwise.

Good advice.

BTW, if try loosening it both clockwise and counterclockwise, just in case
the bolt has leftie threads.

In a lot of cases, it pays to try tightening a bolt if loosening it
won't work. Although if it really does have right handed threads, I
don't think it likely to help in this particular case.

Another thing is to use a bigger wrench or, dare I say it, put a pipe
on a smaller wrench (one you don't mind breaking if necessary,
although I suppose if you are weak in the first place, a pipe 2 times
as long only makes you as strong as someone who is strong. So you
won't break anything.)

Best regards,
Bob

Meirman