Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to remove the old blade from a used circular saw?

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 05:57:35 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:39:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 1/11/2016 10:30 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 03:44:01 +0000, Vegsteve
wrote:

replying to Sam Kaan, Vegsteve wrote:
strshn2003 wrote:

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.
Model: 315.108400
11AMP
7.25 inch blade type.
Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that
wrench
socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the
whole blade just keeps spining.
Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to
loosen the nut and remove the old blade?
Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

try and unbolt that bolt and the whole blade just keeps spining.

I just had this problem with my Skil Saw. The problem ended up being that
I had a blade that was too thick in it. This caused the washer to spin
because it could not engage the square nut that just protrudes past the
blade. The solution was to use a chisel to pry the washer a bit and keep
it from spinning. Bolt came off easily after. btw: I find that using a
large vicegrip works well to hold the blade from turning.

Are you saying you stop the blade but the arbor keeps spinning?

There is usually a pair of flat spots on the arbor on the back of the
blade that a skinny wrench engages. Then you spin off the nut.

You do need that skinny wrench tho.

7¼" CIRCULAR saw. He's talking about a 'D' washer (I believe is the
correct nomenclature) and an arbor BOLT.

Believe that you're thinking of a table saw. Maybe I lead a sheltered
life but I've never seen a second wrench for a circular saw. Owned B&D,
Monkey Wards, Craftsman and Crapsman, Skil and Milwaukee. Some circular
saws have a locking pin that locks the arbor. I usually just let the
teeth grab onto a piece of scrap 2 by and there's no problem.

Yup you are right.

Clare has the right idea. Use an impact wrench. If you don't have one,
take it to an auto mechanic or someone who does.

An impact wrench to remove a circ saw arbor bolt? Please.
I expect the OP jacks his car up before he breaks the lugs too.
Just lock the blade. I've done it hundreds of times, using different
methods. A locking arbor, screwdriver though a hole in the blade,
screwdriver between teeth, visegrips, even between scraps of wood in a
vise. Etc, etc.

Read the original post.The blade was turning on the arbor because the
blade was too thick and the "d" washer didn't catch.
No way to lock the arbor, so impact is the tool of choice.