Billccm

Default Amana Dryer is taking longer

Hello:
My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry the
clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it takes
about three hours to dry a full load.
I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on
this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements?
Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill
CBHvac

"Billccm" wrote in message
Hello:
My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry

the
clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it

takes
about three hours to dry a full load.
I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on
this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements?
Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill

When was the last time you cleaned the vent to the outside?

EL

You can get a pretty good idea by running it for a while, perhaps 15
minutes, when it is the only thing powered in your home and reading the
electric meter. Compare the watts being dissipated with the rated
dissipation and if they aren't fairly close the element most likely
needs to be replaced. If you have a clip-on ammeter that would also
work. What you describe sounds like a failing element.

Boden

CBHvac wrote:
"Billccm" wrote in message

Hello:
My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry

the

clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it

takes

about three hours to dry a full load.
I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on
this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements?
Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill

When was the last time you cleaned the vent to the outside?

David Efflandt

On 23 Nov 2003 04:20:36 GMT, Billccm wrote:
Hello:
My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry the
clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it takes
about three hours to dry a full load.
I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on
this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements?
Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill

When you run it for awhile are the cloths hot or not. If hot but damp,
check for plugged vent. If not hot, it could be a heating element.

I had trouble with my gas dryer last spring. I went outside to see if it
was blowing air and a dazed bird flew into my hand on its way out.
Apparently damp lint collected on the outside flapper last winter, keeping
it from closing, and a bird made a nest in the vent, almost totally
blocking it.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
Stormin Mormonn

Slow driers are more likely caused by lint clogged filter, or vent tube. If
you have some heat, I'd check air flow.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"Billccm" wrote in message
Hello:
My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry
the
clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it
takes
about three hours to dry a full load.
I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on
this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements?
Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill

Dan O.

Billccm wrote

My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is
taking longer and longer to dry the clothes. It
seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic
timed cycle it takes about three hours to dry
a full load.

The most common cause of poor drying is a plugged, partially plugged
and/or poorly installed dryer vent. You can read about that at the
following link:

How long can my dryer vent be?
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=778

I have read that a heating element may partially
burn out; any thoughts on this? Could I use an
ohm meter to determine the elements?

The only way most dryer elements could give only partial heat is if it
was shorted to ground. Once disconnected from it wiring, the element
should be able to be tested for a short to ground using an ohm meter.
In some cases however, it is only when the element heats that it
expands and sags touching a ground so such a short may not be able to
be accurately tested for. A visible inspection for signs of a short
may be necessary to confirm such a failure.

Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet?

A thermostat failure is a *slim* possibility for your symptom however
most times a dryer thermostat will either open causing NO heat at all
or be shorted closed making the dryer too hot. It would be fairly
unusually for one to just be inaccurate IMO.

I'd look elsewhere first (and second and third and forth...).

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+dryer

=Ð~~~~~~

Billccm

Default Amana Dryer is taking longer: UPDATES to post

Some Updates:
Last night I removed the access panel, and vaccumed everything, and I mean
everything. It was pretty dusty in there. I removed the lint screen and
vaccumed, and moved the dryer out and vaccumed the vent opening, vent hose, and
inlet into the vet pipe. I left the access panel off and turned the dryer on,
no clothes, on 'auto-less-dry' cycle.
The heater element glows RED for about three minutes, then I hear a click and
the element dims off. Then the timer moves towards 'cool down', and ten minutes
later the dryer is off.
I put a large load of towels in today, and the dryer ran 2 hours and 20 minutes
on 'auto fabric, less dry' cycle. The heater element would glow RED for three
minutes, then 'click' off for several minutes, then repeat. The heater is NEVER
on for longer then 3 minutes?
I want to keep this dryer because it has stainless steel drums. BTW, how do you
replace the belt? That looks like you need some tricks.
Thanks for any help!

Bill

Bob

"Billccm" wrote in message
[...]

If cleaning the vent doesn't solve the problem, try blowing out
all the air passages with an air compressor or leaf blower. Do
this outside. Blow in the vent, in the dust collector hole, in
the air holes at the back of the drum (inside), until you quit
getting crud out. I've completely restored non-working dryers
this way.

Bob

Dan O.

Billccm wrote

My Amana dryer is taking along time to dry
large loads. The model is LE8327W

Last night I removed the access panel, and
vaccumed everything, and I mean everything. It
was pretty dusty in there. I removed the lint
screen and vaccumed, and moved the dryer out and
vaccumed the vent opening, vent hose, and
inlet into the vet pipe.

How about the vent pipe all the way to the outdoors?

I left the access panel off and turned the dryer
on, no clothes, on 'auto-less-dry' cycle.
The heater element glows RED for about three
minutes, then I hear a click and the element
dims off. Then the timer moves towards 'cool
down', and ten minutes later the dryer is off.

I put a large load of towels in today, and the
dryer ran 2 hours and 20 minutes on 'auto
fabric, less dry' cycle.

Did you try a load on the timed cycle to see if it dried properly?

The heater element would glow RED for three
minutes, then 'click' off for several minutes,
then repeat.

That is usually the way dryers control the internal temperature.

The heater is NEVER on for longer then 3 minutes?

That may be normal. In order to tell if the thermostats are cycling
the element properly the air temperature where it exits the dryer is
usually observed.

Plugged or partially plugged venting (**anywhere from the inside of
the dryer right to the outdoors**) is one of the most common causes or
poor drying. On an electric dryer it is usually possible to totally
eliminate the venting as a possible cause by running the dryer for a
load or two with the venting totally removed. If drying improves, you
can be sure that the vent is (at least part of) the problem.

BTW, how do you replace the belt?

I don't know about your exact model but most Amana dryers are accessed
from the front to replace the drum belt.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+dryer

=Ð~~~~~~

EL

CBHvac wrote:
"Tony D." wrote in message
om...

Is there any possibility one of his 220v legs is out, or would that
not allow it to heat at all?
Just a thought.
Thanks, Tony D.

Good chance then, that his drum would not turn, even if the elements
warmed...altho, good idea.

I've had dryers with 120 volt motors, so the drum could turn even with
one leg out.

Boden

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

how can i find my outside vent. i have looke all over, could it be on roof?? my house is old built in 1970.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 9:33:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
how can i find my outside vent. i have looke all over, could it be on roof?? my house is old built in 1970.

Hire a vent location company. You should be able to find one in The Yellow Pages. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Venting Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
boB boB is offline

On 5/8/2018 10:33 PM, wrote:
how can i find my outside vent. i have looke all over, could it be on roof?? my house is old built in 1970.

What color is your house?