sz

Default 4-wire dryer power cord **longer** than 6 feet

This seems to be my day for asking questions...

I need a 4-wire power cord for an electric dryer. The problem is that
the longest stock cord I've seen listed is (like my corrent cord) 6
feet long and I need something at least 8 feet long. There was a
reference to longer cords being available a much earlier posting but I
havn't been able to find one. Does any one know of a source for a
longer cord. I might be willing to pay for a custom cord; it may still
be cheaper than moving the outlet.

Thanks!
SZ
PoCambo

From: usene

Does any one know of a source for a
longer cord. I might be willing to pay for a custom cord; it may still
be cheaper than moving the outlet.

Might be easier moving the outlet,i think code says you cant have cords longer
then 6 feet for stuff inside a building.Thats why most stuff you buy has 6 foot
cords.

.

(maybe against code but they do sell it)
go an electrical supply house and get this or do this one off the web:
http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.c...lug-508489.asp
or
http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.c...lug-522401.asp
this is just the plug then you add your own wire of any legnth you need - i
would kick up the awg since the plug will accept 10 - 6 awg

(another one that is against code but they do sell the parts)
get an surface mount outlet and 2 dryer cords and use the first one as an
extension cord.

http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.c...let-513279.asp

original outlet --- dryer cord #1 ---- surface mount outlet (attached to
wall) --- dryer cord #2 ---- dryer

"sz" wrote in message
om...
This seems to be my day for asking questions...

I need a 4-wire power cord for an electric dryer. The problem is that
the longest stock cord I've seen listed is (like my corrent cord) 6
feet long and I need something at least 8 feet long. There was a
reference to longer cords being available a much earlier posting but I
havn't been able to find one. Does any one know of a source for a
longer cord. I might be willing to pay for a custom cord; it may still
be cheaper than moving the outlet.

Thanks!
SZ

---

sz

Thanks everyone for our input!

I've got a call in to our electrician. I'll confirm the code issue as
well. If it is a code issue, I'll probably just have the outlet moved.
I'll sleep better that way!

Best,
SZ
George E. Cawthon

That's probably a good idea, especially if it makes you feel
better. But I don't believe this code crap. I did a short
google search and couldn't find anything. However, since
appliances usually come with their own cord, wouldn't the
use of an extension cord of 6 feet or more violate the
code? And if so, wouldn't it logically be illegal to
manufacture and sell extension cord over 6 feet for interior
use?

sz wrote:

Thanks everyone for our input!

I've got a call in to our electrician. I'll confirm the code issue as
well. If it is a code issue, I'll probably just have the outlet moved.
I'll sleep better that way!

Best,
SZ

Mike Dobony

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
That's probably a good idea, especially if it makes you feel
better. But I don't believe this code crap. I did a short
google search and couldn't find anything. However, since
appliances usually come with their own cord, wouldn't the
use of an extension cord of 6 feet or more violate the
code?

??????? Always had to by one as there are many variations on dryer and
stove outlets. Mobile home code usually requres 4 prong, while standard
home outlets are 3 prong. You move you just might have to either change
plugs and cord or outlet. Just did this for someone a few months ago!

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

sz wrote:

Thanks everyone for our input!

I've got a call in to our electrician. I'll confirm the code issue as
well. If it is a code issue, I'll probably just have the outlet moved.
I'll sleep better that way!

Best,
SZ

---

Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
RCA TV CTC169 (BG5) F35750ST Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 0 September 25th 03 06:25 PM