Joe Wilson

Default Basement foundation crack - pictures

I just noticed a crack in our basement foundation. It runs from the top to
the bottom (9ft). If you go on the outside of the house, you see it has
went all the way through. In addition, there is a bulge in the foundation
about 12 feet away from this crack that is visible from outside. This bulge
was there when we had the house built and the builder had someone come out
and check it out and said it was okay as did our inspector. Pictures are
here - http://www.pbase.com/joesimages/foundation_crack. While you can't
see in the pictures, the wall is still flush and is not sticking out on one
side of the crack or the other.

The house is 3.5 years old. I called our builder today and they said if it
isn't structual the warranty will not cover it. They are sending out a
company to look at it to determine if they think it is structual and if not
how much it will cost to get it fixed.

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before they come out so I know
what to expect and what questions to ask. I'd love to hear some of the
expertise here, what you think about this particular case, etc.

whocares

"Joe Wilson" wrote in
:

[...]

Engage an independent strucutral engineer to review the crack and the
foundation. Dont't let the company that the builder sends out be the
final word. As they are paid by the builder, there is a pre-disposition
to satisfying their customer.

Only an onsite inspection of the property can determine if it is
structural. Even if the crack turns out not to be strucutiral, the
feeyou pay for your own engineering report is well worth the piece of
mind you will get.
Joe Wilson

Default Update...

Well, someone came out today...during the week I inspected the whole
basement for cracks and found a total of 5 that run vertically from top to
bottom (all thinner than the one I linked with pictures).

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks in
the basement foundation walls?

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

NorMinn

Joe Wilson wrote:
Well, someone came out today...during the week I inspected the whole

Who came out.....Avon lady? Civil engineer? )

basement for cracks and found a total of 5 that run vertically from top to
bottom (all thinner than the one I linked with pictures).

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

You haven't said what the wall is constructed of? If a basement wall
isn't "structural", I wonder what the heck it is?????
Have you tried to get an independent engineer in to take a look? What's
it cost?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about it?

I would, but I'm a worrier. Hubby says I look for trouble. I don't.
I'm just good at finding it )

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime

warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about

it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks

in
the basement foundation walls?

Considering the age of the house, do you have any warranty? Even if you do
not, perhaps the builder will work with you as a matter of keeping his
reputation intact.
Ed

Bruno The Magnificent

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime

warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about

it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks

in
the basement foundation walls?

You have to wonder why you have so many cracks in your basement. Is the
foundation level? Is the concrete mixture adequate for the application? Has
the concrete been properly cured?

Seems like shoddy construction to me.

Joe Wilson

Yes, there is a 1 year warranty that covers "cosmetic" problems...and a 10
year warranty that covers structual. The builder claims that multiple
vertical cracks in the foundation is cosmetic.

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime

warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about

it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks

in
the basement foundation walls?

Considering the age of the house, do you have any warranty? Even if you

do
not, perhaps the builder will work with you as a matter of keeping his
reputation intact.
Ed

Tom Baker

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime

warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about

it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks

in
the basement foundation walls?

Considering the age of the house, do you have any warranty? Even if you

do
not, perhaps the builder will work with you as a matter of keeping his
reputation intact.
Ed

I believe I see a water stain around at least one crack.
That should be fixed and monitored carefully.
Water in the basement is not good.
How are they "fixing" the cracks and what are they warrantying?

TB
Randd01

There is a new system i just saw on TV called Concrete Stitching. It may be
just what you need! Maybe someone has some more info on it. I can't rememeber
what it was called.
Joe Wilson

I believe I see a water stain around at least one crack.
That should be fixed and monitored carefully.
Water in the basement is not good.
How are they "fixing" the cracks and what are they warrantying?

I didn't get into specifics with the first company that came to give me an
estimate. The builder sent them and to be honest he was kind of an
ass...I'd rather do business with someone else so I didn't ask a lot of
questions. I have a couple of other folks coming out next week to do
estimates so I'll get more information then.

Do you have any thing you'd recommend asking them?