Tillio

Default Crack in Foundation

I have a vertical crack in the poured concrete foundation of my house
that runs from the top of the wall to the floor. The house is less than 2
years old. My builder came back and chiseled out the crack from the inside
and then patched with hydraulic cement.The crack still occasionally leaks
water.
The builder now wants to chisel away the hydraulic cement patch and have
the crack filled with some kind of epoxy filler.( Which he should have done
to begin with )
Should the hydraulic cement patch be disturbed at this point? I'm
worried about creating a worse problem than I have now. I would rather have
the crack fixed from the outside but I'm sure he doesn't want to dig up the
yard.
Any suggestions?

Tillio

mark Ransley

It should be fixed from both sides. But why is it settling and has it
stopped are questions you must look into, you should document and
record your comunications with the builder for the future. In case it
becomes a legal issue. Your building inspector would be the person to
talk to, as he is familiar with the builder and your house.

Joseph Meehan

Tillio wrote:
I have a vertical crack in the poured concrete foundation of my
house that runs from the top of the wall to the floor. The house is
less than 2 years old. My builder came back and chiseled out the
crack from the inside and then patched with hydraulic cement.The
crack still occasionally leaks water.
The builder now wants to chisel away the hydraulic cement patch
and have the crack filled with some kind of epoxy filler.( Which he
should have done to begin with )
Should the hydraulic cement patch be disturbed at this point? I'm
worried about creating a worse problem than I have now. I would
rather have the crack fixed from the outside but I'm sure he doesn't
want to dig up the yard.
Any suggestions?

Tillio

Assuming the crack is stable, it should be fixed from the OUTSIDE.
Whatever is done from the inside is temporary at best. If the crack is not
stable, there is no fix.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dan G

I am in the facilities management business.

We injected this one
http://www.mountaingrout.com/Products/Epoxy/TDSMG07.pdf on 2 different
vertical cracks on 12" thick CIP concrete walls on earth birmed walls
over 15 feet. There had been long term leaks. They no longer leak and
that was almost 10 years ago.

This is not a DIY project. We had had (?) waterproofing work performed
by a waterproofing contractor on a prior occasion on a different
building, and he was kind enough to show and tell for future usage.
http://www.mountaingrout.com/Products/Epoxy/TDSMG07.pdf

As Joseph said, this will be much less effective on a joint or crack
that is moving, although a waterproofing contractor can literally glue
the concrete back together with proper preparation and cleaning with
epoxy injection. This would require expertise and some equipment.
Joseph is also correct that the best cure is from the outside, but our
"experiment" with Mountain Grout was cost effective compared to
excavation and exterior treatment.

--

####################
Keep the whole world singing. . .

"Tillio" wrote in message
[...]

whocares

The hydraulic cement should be completely chisled out and epoxy
injected, NOT painted or used as coating. If done properly, by a
knowledgable, experienced installer, epoxy injection is an appropriate
repair that will eliminate the need for exterior excavation. The reason
is that the epoxy, when properly injected, will fill the crack from the
inside out. This can only be done on poured concrete foundations.

Obviously if your builder thought that that hydraulic cement was an
appropraite repair, he is not knowledgable and should not be allowed to
perform epoxy injection. It should be noted the all the epoxy will do
is fill the crack and prevent further water seepage. It will do nothing
to prevent future cracking and is not a solution to settlement or
structural problems.

"Tillio" wrote in
:

I have a vertical crack in the poured concrete foundation of my
house
that runs from the top of the wall to the floor. The house is less
than 2 years old. My builder came back and chiseled out the crack from
the inside and then patched with hydraulic cement.The crack still
occasionally leaks water.
The builder now wants to chisel away the hydraulic cement patch and
have
the crack filled with some kind of epoxy filler.( Which he should have
done to begin with )
Should the hydraulic cement patch be disturbed at this point? I'm
worried about creating a worse problem than I have now. I would rather
have the crack fixed from the outside but I'm sure he doesn't want to
dig up the yard.
Any suggestions?

Tillio

mark Ransley

Cracks should be fixed from the outside.. Or water will continue
tio deteriorate them. And they will reapear .

whocares

Epoxy injection will provide a seal on the outside in the immediate area
of the crack. A good applicator will inject enough epoxy that it will
flow completely through the crack to the exterior.

Water in and of itelf does not cause cracks in poured concrete
foundations. Cracks are the cause of poor foundation installation,
settling, or structural issues. Water deterioration does not manifest
itself as cracks. Cracks will reappear in pured concrete only if there
is a settlnig or structural cause, not merely the presence of water.

For poured concerete foundation. Epoxy injection is widely accepted and
proven method. If you have any doubts, check with the AIA or consult an
engineer experienced with foundations and masonry.

(mark Ransley) wrote in news:5632-3F59105B-24
@storefull-2171.public.lawson.webtv.net: