Joe Wilson

Default Update...

Well, someone came out today...during the week I inspected the whole
basement for cracks and found a total of 5 that run vertically from top to
bottom (all thinner than the one I linked with pictures).

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime warranty.
So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks in
the basement foundation walls?

"Joe Wilson" wrote in message
I just noticed a crack in our basement foundation. It runs from the top

the bottom (9ft). If you go on the outside of the house, you see it has
went all the way through. In addition, there is a bulge in the foundation
about 12 feet away from this crack that is visible from outside. This

bulge
was there when we had the house built and the builder had someone come out
and check it out and said it was okay as did our inspector. Pictures are
here - http://www.pbase.com/joesimages/foundation_crack. While you can't
see in the pictures, the wall is still flush and is not sticking out on

one
side of the crack or the other.

The house is 3.5 years old. I called our builder today and they said if

it
isn't structual the warranty will not cover it. They are sending out a
company to look at it to determine if they think it is structual and if

not
how much it will cost to get it fixed.

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before they come out so I know
what to expect and what questions to ask. I'd love to hear some of the
expertise here, what you think about this particular case, etc.