Charlie Spitzer

Default Installation - Ceramaic Tile vs. Marble

"Billy" wrote in message
I recently priced ceramic tile vs. marble installations. The store said

they
would install ceramic/porcelain for $6 and marble to $15 per sq ft. What

is
so involved or different in a marble installation that makes it so much

more
expensive?

cost of product

Billy

That is correct, installation cost is what I don't understand. The marble
product is obviously more expensive than ceramic, but I don't understand why
the *installation* price is so much greater for installing marble vs.
ceramic. How does the installation process differ?

"Brad" wrote in message
In article ,
said...

"Billy" wrote in message
I recently priced ceramic tile vs. marble installations. The store

said
they
would install ceramic/porcelain for $6 and marble to $15 per sq ft.

What
is
so involved or different in a marble installation that makes it so

much
more
expensive?

cost of product

I think he was talking about only the installation cost.

Tim Davis

These prices reflect the total cost for the job, material AND installation,
and are fairly standard. Both products are usually installed by competent
setters in a similar fashion, that is thinset mortar over a suitable
substrate. Ceramic tiles may however, and are commonly set using mastic
instead of mortar. The installation of marble is often easier for the
tilesetter, as the tiles are often a full 12" square, thus many fewer pieces
to work with, hence many fewer cuts.

"Billy" wrote in message
I recently priced ceramic tile vs. marble installations. The store said

they
would install ceramic/porcelain for $6 and marble to $15 per sq ft. What

is
so involved or different in a marble installation that makes it so much

more
expensive?

Richard Kaiser

"Billy" wrote in message
I recently priced ceramic tile vs. marble installations. The store

said
they
would install ceramic/porcelain for $6 and marble to $15 per sq ft.

What
is
so involved or different in a marble installation that makes it so

The thinset for marble and granite is a special flexable mix that costs
four to five times as much. If this accounts for the full difference
I don't know. My granite is still waiting for me to get my kitchen
counters installed, counter are wating on the cabinets, cabinets
are waiting on the floor, floor is waiting on the wiring, wiring
is waiting on .... Yey, demolishion is almost done.

Richard "Don't know, not there yet" Kaiser

Amos

Tim Davis wrote:

These prices reflect the total cost for the job, material AND installation,
and are fairly standard. Both products are usually installed by competent
setters in a similar fashion, that is thinset mortar over a suitable
substrate. Ceramic tiles may however, and are commonly set using mastic
instead of mortar. The installation of marble is often easier for the
tilesetter, as the tiles are often a full 12" square, thus many fewer pieces
to work with, hence many fewer cuts.

Oh shut the **** up you top-posting imbecile. Pros do not, nor
recommend using tile mastic for floor tile installation and if marble is
set properly with a tight joint, over a 'fresh' mortar bed, using pure
cement and beat in it's far more work than slapping floor tile down over
a slab or backerboard using a standard 3/16" joint.

Your advice sucks.

Amos

"Billy" wrote in message

I recently priced ceramic tile vs. marble installations. The store

said

they

would install ceramic/porcelain for $6 and marble to $15 per sq ft.

What

is

so involved or different in a marble installation that makes it so

much

more

expensive?

cost of product

I think he was talking about only the installation cost.

Next time you post make yourself clear moron. And quit top posting.
Look at ****ing mess you've made. Meantime ask the g'damned installer
why it's so much higher. Or go back and read Fred Martin's posts.

It's obvious they're doing something with the substrate. Probably the
mortar like Fred already told you. Plus you give no specs as to room
shape, size or anything else.

Tim Davis

Default REPOST: Installation - Ceramaic Tile vs. Marble

I am so hurt, Ass-Mos, by your scathing criticism.

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: (Amos)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: cmsg cancel
Control: cancel
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:36:27 -0400

GMT)

cancel

From: (Amos)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Control: cancel
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:36:27 -0400

GMT)

cancel

mark Ransly

Tim Davis wrote:

I am so hurt, Ass-Mos, by your scathing criticism.

And well you should be.. Take your sorry-assed 25 year off and on
(mostly off and probably ****ed up) tile exp. and hit the road. People
come here for correct advice. Not some Podunk AR bull**** that
wannabe's like you spew..

mark Ransly

Tim Davis wrote:

I am so hurt, Ass-Mos, by your scathing criticism.

And well you should be.. Take your sorry-assed 25 year off and on
(mostly off and probably ****ed up) tile exp. and hit the road. People
come here for correct advice. Not some Podunk AR bull**** that
wannabe's like you spew..

PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM
Screwfix Tile Cutter Rod Hewitt UK diy 5 October 28th 03 10:44 PM
Adhesive for Green Marble Tile? James Keene Home Repair 1 July 22nd 03 04:32 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM