Smithfarms Pure Kona

Default Grundfos Water Pump

I hope you don't mind my asking in home *repair* but I think you
experts would know. We now have a captive air tank as well as a pump.
We live on catchment system. We are thinking of getting a Grundfos
Water Pump which apparently doesn't need a captive air tank. Any
opinions? Or should I just tell SO to go for it?
aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Gary Slusser

"Smithfarms Pure Kona" wrote
I hope you don't mind my asking in home *repair* but I think you
experts would know. We now have a captive air tank as well as a pump.
We live on catchment system. We are thinking of getting a Grundfos
Water Pump which apparently doesn't need a captive air tank. Any
opinions? Or should I just tell SO to go for it?
aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

More information on the pump would help, Grundfos must make a dozen or
more models of pumps. Is it a constant pressure pump?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Smithfarms Pure Kona

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:28:44 GMT, "Gary Slusser"
wrote:

"Smithfarms Pure Kona" wrote
I hope you don't mind my asking in home *repair* but I think you
experts would know. We now have a captive air tank as well as a

pump.
We live on catchment system. We are thinking of getting a

Grundfos
Water Pump which apparently doesn't need a captive air tank. Any
opinions? Or should I just tell SO to go for it?
aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

More information on the pump would help, Grundfos must make a dozen

or
more models of pumps. Is it a constant pressure pump?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Yes- a constant pressure pump, I think. I'll try and get more
information but one of the benefits is the constant pressure.
Apparently the pump goes on each time you turn on the water. With our
current and soon to be old system, there is a notable difference in
the pressure which also affects our Paloma water heater.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Gary Slusser

"Smithfarms Pure Kona" wrote
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:03:59 -1000, Smithfarms Pure Kona
wrote:

I hope you don't mind my asking in home *repair* but I think you
experts would know. We now have a captive air tank as well as a pump.
We live on catchment system. We are thinking of getting a Grundfos
Water Pump which apparently doesn't need a captive air tank. Any
opinions? Or should I just tell SO to go for it?
aloha, Thunder

What do you think of Model: MQ3-45?

aloha & TIA
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

I take it model is a Grundfos. All I know about them is how to spell
the name and that they are a German company, I think. I sell Goulds and
Sta-Rite. You can't go wrong with any of the three.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser

"Rob Reali" wrote
No pump needs an air tank, however, the captive air tank is a great

option
as it allows the pump not to have to cycle on and off for small,

occasional
uses.

ummmm not really. All pump/motor manufacturers want a minimum rest
period of 60 seconds between starts for motors up to 1.5 hp; And over
1.5 hp it's 120 seconds. Water is basically unable to be compressed. So
since the pump would start as soon as water was used, it would also
build pressure all but instantly and shut off if the fixture being used
can't handle the flow the system delivers to the fixture. That would
cause an instant drop in the pressure and the pump would come on again
to repeat this over and over while the pressure fluctuated drastically
but, and here's the real problem, this would cause the system to
experience and be damaged by water hammer. Probably until something
broke and a pressure tank was installed, if only a 1.5 gallon tank that
would act like a water hammer arrestor but also allow the pump to stay
off for some time while water was used in small volumes. Also as
important as water hammer problems is that without a pressure tank, the
pump motor would likely as not burn out in a short period of time due to
not being able to cool sufficiently between starts.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Smithfarms Pure Kona

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:28:20 GMT, "Gary Slusser"
wrote:

"Rob Reali" wrote
[...]

So Gary, in your opinion, is a $500+ grundfos worth buying? Or would
you suggest something with a captive air tank. This is a big purchase
and we have two neighbors saying it is the thing to buy but if it will
burn out more quickly due to having to run for every water *turn on*,
maybe it isn't the right thing. Oh well, our Paloma water heater
died- after 20 years- last night, so we are off into Kailua Kona to
buy a new Paloma. Hot showers tonight g Always something! TIA

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM
looking for an electric water pump ... Julian Fowler UK diy 10 July 8th 03 11:58 AM