Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thickness jam gauge

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

Feeler gauges, vernier calipers, wooden blocks, paint marks for most used
settings...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

Feeler gauges, vernier calipers, wooden blocks, paint marks for most used
settings...

calipers won't fit, but darned if I forgot all about feeler gauges! thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:29:40 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

...a micrometer - inside/outside?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement
indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between
the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the
resulting dough sheet.

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly
thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32"
would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

..a micrometer - inside/outside?

won't fit into the machine to reach the rollers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement
indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between
the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the
resulting dough sheet.

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly
thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32"
would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go
construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though
perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:29:43 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

You can buy a set of these and cut them to use them as gauges. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ngs/1013166889

[8~{} Uncle Doughy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:15:30 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement
indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between
the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the
resulting dough sheet.

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly
thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32"
would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go
construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though
perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).

Take a look at this set of long feeler gauges.

http://amzn.to/2cXQEnG
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement
indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between
the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the
resulting dough sheet.

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly
thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32"
would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go
construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though
perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).

Take a look at this set of long feeler gauges.

http://amzn.to/2cXQEnG

yikes - expensive. Actually regular feeler gauges will be long enough,
and if I combine two, three, or four thicknesses I can get most
anything. if I zero in on a particular thickness that is the cat's
meow, I can make a dedicated gauge from wood, plastic, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2016 3:39 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:29:43 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

You can buy a set of these and cut them to use them as gauges. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ngs/1013166889

[8~{} Uncle Doughy Monster

Thanks. I have been meaning to get a set of those for their intended
purpose too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

The same link has shorter gauges for much less. It sounded like you
were using these for an industrial application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

oooh! this is what I was thinking of!

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Metric...feeler%2Bgauge
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

That should give you a relative measurement but probably not an
accurate measurement of the gap between two cylindrical rollers. I
think feeler gauges would be a better choice.

Is this for a commercial / industrial application or is this for home
use? If home use, then I doubt it would make a big difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

home use, with a dough sheeter. This will be close enough - repeatably
is more important than precision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Yeah, then you can use anything. I thought you were involved with a
commercial bakery producing croissants or a food manufacturer making
something like pastry dough or pasta.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I will be doing all of that. But not every day, so I want to figure
something out, take notes, and go back to it again in a couple months
without having to re-invent the wheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 4:29:43 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to
jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the
thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

Hotel key cards (and similar cards) measure in at 1/32". I save all of mine. They may good spreaders, shims, etc.

Since they're plastic, they would be easy for you to keep clean considering they are being
used on a food related appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent formulated the question :

wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

That's what precision is, ITYM it is more important than 'accuracy'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-07, Taxed and Spent wrote:

establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine.....

Micrometers? Long feeler gauges? What fits!? What's the cost?

Have you tried putting a piece of dough thru the machine and roughly
measuring the dough?

(I thought this woulda been the obvious answer, but I guess not

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-07, Taxed and Spent wrote:

establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no
measurement indicators on the machine.....

Micrometers? Long feeler gauges? What fits!? What's the cost?

Have you tried putting a piece of dough thru the machine and roughly
measuring the dough?

(I thought this woulda been the obvious answer, but I guess not

nb

measuring the dough would not help in resetting the rollers next time,
without guesswork.

Feeler gauge would be the best answer, or the tapered gauge I posted
earlier. I have one on order and will see how it works in this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-08, Taxed and Spent wrote:

measuring the dough would not help in resetting the rollers next time,
without guesswork.

My bad. I did not realize the entire roller adjustment mechanism
completely changes to something different every time you use it.

nb