Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ CJ is offline

Default How can I tell if the wires are 14 gauge or 12 gauge?

I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, CJ wrote:
I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on a
stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the way
through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:18:24 -0700, CJ wrote:

I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Metal encased in what? EMT conduit, BX, Greenfield, or ??????
You are much too vague. Did you try to read the wires themselves? In
Conduit they are usually labelled. Or put a micrometer on the copper
wire ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep, 15:24, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, CJ wrote:
I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on a
stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the way
through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

--
Regards,

-- Or use a wire stripper:

....with the power off of course!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 3:24 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, CJ wrote:
I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on a
stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the way
through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

If you compare it to another wire, bend it. 14 bends easier than 12.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on a
stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the

way
through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

If you compare it to another wire, bend it. 14 bends easier than 12.

No need to bend it. A visual comparison is easily enough to tell the
difference.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on a
stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the

way

through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

If you compare it to another wire, bend it. 14 bends easier than 12.

No need to bend it. A visual comparison is easily enough to tell the
difference.

If one has samples of both.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on

stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the

way

through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

If you compare it to another wire, bend it. 14 bends easier than 12.

No need to bend it. A visual comparison is easily enough to tell the
difference.

If one has samples of both.

You need only one sample -- as long as you know what it is.

--
Regards,

What is the gauge rating of the four wires for a four pin oven pigtail CJ Home Repair 10 February 10th 07 08:40 PM
220 over 12 gauge [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 20th 06 08:17 AM
Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit Ignoramus29948 Home Repair 11 September 13th 06 12:32 PM
Contour Gauge Al Bundy Home Repair 0 September 2nd 06 05:17 AM
fishing 6 gauge wires through conduit zxcvbob Home Repair 21 January 11th 05 04:42 AM