Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Just curious, why do you want the neutral larger than the hots?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 wrote:

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Nope, (except if you use imc conduit), but you would be much smarter to use
1" anyway - it would be an easier pull.
Look up the conduit fill tables in the NEC, you can even find those online.
Just remember tho, just because its legal doesn't necessarily mean its
smart. ie: sure you can legally put x conductors into a y sized conduit but
if the conduit is very long it gets to be absurdly difficult to get things
pulled in without damage. Using larger conduit makes for an easier job,
reduces the possibility of insulation damage, allows for future growth and
costs very little.
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Sep 2006 11:50:36 -0700, RayV wrote:

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Just curious, why do you want the neutral larger than the hots?

Um, I want it smaller than the hots (6 ga neutral, 4 ga hots).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:51:47 -0700, Eric wrote:
Ignoramus29948 wrote:

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Nope, (except if you use imc conduit), but you would be much smarter to use
1" anyway - it would be an easier pull.

Yes. The trouble is, I already have 3/4" conduit in place.

#4, when used as a Feeder, has an Ampacity of 100 Amps!
Do you *really* need that large a feed to a garage?

I'd go smaller and include an equip ground in the calc,
rather than use the raceway as the equip ground.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
On 11 Sep 2006 11:50:36 -0700, RayV wrote:
Just curious, why do you want the neutral larger than the hots?

Um, I want it smaller than the hots (6 ga neutral, 4 ga hots).

Guess I need to take that Evelyn Wood refresher, again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 wrote:

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Nope, (except if you use imc conduit), but you would be much smarter to
use 1" anyway - it would be an easier pull.

Yes. The trouble is, I already have 3/4" conduit in place.

Well then, you need to recalculate your load and see if you really need wire
that big. My instinct tells me I'd be willing to bet you're not doing
anything requiring more than the ampacity of an 8/3 or possibly (remote
chance)a 6/3 feeder, but of course i dont know your load or what you are
running out there. Again, my advice is to take a hard look at the loads you
plan to feed and see what you really need for a feeder.
If you are willing, post here what your plans are and we can give you some
feedback - maybe its a smaller job than you first thought - then again,
maybe not....
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:41:35 GMT, Ignoramus29948
wrote:

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

NO

Pipe is too small to meet code, and you'll never get them thru.
Use the gray PVC made for that, and go at least 1 inch, 1 1/4 is
better.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Just curious, why do you want the neutral larger than the hots?

Um, I want it smaller than the hots (6 ga neutral, 4 ga hots).

The reason, I suspect, is that you are planning for a 220v load that
you are sizing the 4ga hot legs for and the 6ga neutral is sized for
the expected 120v load. I would not try to get that in the 3/4" pipe.

Take the advice of a bigger pipe and run a 4ga (or match the largest
conductor you install, if you go smaller than the planned on 4ga.)
ground also, I this is going to feed a branch panel and therefore the
neutral ("grounded" conductor) and the ground ("bonding" conductor)
will not be tied toegther in the subpanel, only at the feeder (main)
panel in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus29948 ) said...

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral).

It is the type of insulation that matters in addition to the gauge of the
wire. Basically, if pulling more than one wire/cable through conduit, you
are only supposed to fill it to 40% of its cross-section diameter. Knowing
the sum of the cross-section diameters of the wire being pulled allows you
to see if you are within the 40% maximum.

In this case, using T90-Nylon (THHN) conductors will fill a 3/4" conduit
to 41.7%, so you really need to go with 1", though you could probably get
away with 3/4" but pulling will be a bit more work than it should. These
conductors only fill a 1" to 25.7%.

I have a Condiut Calculator available for free at:
http://daxack.ca/Conduit/index.html

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"