Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:51:47 -0700, Eric wrote:

Ignoramus29948 wrote:

Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Nope, (except if you use imc conduit), but you would be much smarter to use
1" anyway - it would be an easier pull.

Yes. The trouble is, I already have 3/4" conduit in place.

#4, when used as a Feeder, has an Ampacity of 100 Amps!
Do you *really* need that large a feed to a garage?

I'd go smaller and include an equip ground in the calc,
rather than use the raceway as the equip ground.
Jim