Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Randy is offline

Default Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
On 11 Sep 2006 11:50:36 -0700, RayV wrote:

Ignoramus29948 wrote:
Would it be legal and possible to use 3/4" conduit to carry two 4 ga
conductors (hots) and one 6 ga conductor (neutral). That would be for
possibly upgrading a garage subpanel with existing 3/4" conduit. Most
bends would incorporate electrical boxes.

Just curious, why do you want the neutral larger than the hots?

Um, I want it smaller than the hots (6 ga neutral, 4 ga hots).

The reason, I suspect, is that you are planning for a 220v load that
you are sizing the 4ga hot legs for and the 6ga neutral is sized for
the expected 120v load. I would not try to get that in the 3/4" pipe.

Take the advice of a bigger pipe and run a 4ga (or match the largest
conductor you install, if you go smaller than the planned on 4ga.)
ground also, I this is going to feed a branch panel and therefore the
neutral ("grounded" conductor) and the ground ("bonding" conductor)
will not be tied toegther in the subpanel, only at the feeder (main)
panel in the house.