Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How can I tell if the wires are 14 gauge or 12 gauge?

In article , willshak wrote:
on 9/19/2007 8:04 PM Doug Miller said the following:
In article .com, Terry

wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:24 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article .com, CJ

wrote:

I have a metal encased electrical wire, I think its 14/3, how can I be
sure. I don't have the romex yellow (12 gauge) or white (14 gauge)
which makes it easy to determine. Is there data on the wires telling
me what gauge they are?

Compare it to a wire that you know is either 12 or 14.

Or use a wire stripper: if you put 12-gauge wire into the 14-gauge hole on

stripper, the teeth will cut through the insulation, and bite on the
conductor. Conversely, the teeth on the 12-gauge hole will not cut all the

way

through the insulation on a 14-gauge wire.

If you compare it to another wire, bend it. 14 bends easier than 12.

No need to bend it. A visual comparison is easily enough to tell the
difference.

If one has samples of both.

You need only one sample -- as long as you know what it is.

--
Regards,