Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default thickness jam gauge

On 10/7/2016 5:26 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 17:16:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/7/2016 5:09 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:55:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/7/2016 4:23 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 15:49:54 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/7/2016 3:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:15:30 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for
establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement
indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between
the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the
resulting dough sheet.

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly
thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32"
would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go
construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though
perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).

Take a look at this set of long feeler gauges.

http://amzn.to/2cXQEnG

yikes - expensive. Actually regular feeler gauges will be long enough,
and if I combine two, three, or four thicknesses I can get most
anything. if I zero in on a particular thickness that is the cat's
meow, I can make a dedicated gauge from wood, plastic, etc.

The same link has shorter gauges for much less. It sounded like you
were using these for an industrial application.

oooh! this is what I was thinking of!

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Metric...feeler%2Bgauge

That should give you a relative measurement but probably not an
accurate measurement of the gap between two cylindrical rollers. I
think feeler gauges would be a better choice.

Is this for a commercial / industrial application or is this for home
use? If home use, then I doubt it would make a big difference.

home use, with a dough sheeter. This will be close enough - repeatably
is more important than precision.

Yeah, then you can use anything. I thought you were involved with a
commercial bakery producing croissants or a food manufacturer making
something like pastry dough or pasta.

I will be doing all of that. But not every day, so I want to figure
something out, take notes, and go back to it again in a couple months
without having to re-invent the wheel.