Gerald Ross

Default Bowl bottom thickness gauge

Before hollowing the bottom of a bowl I estimate the thickness before
putting it on the Cole jaws. Later I forget how much I have to work
with. I made a jig to measure the inside depth before reversing the
bowl, then check the bottom thickness as I hollow it.

Pictures at 11 on ABPW

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Everybody has a right to be stupid,
but some abuse the privilege.

Andy McArdle

Pounding the pulpit in ,
Gerald Ross did expound thusly:

Before hollowing the bottom of a bowl I estimate the thickness before
putting it on the Cole jaws. Later I forget how much I have to work
with. I made a jig to measure the inside depth before reversing the
bowl, then check the bottom thickness as I hollow it.

You hollow bowls on Cole jaws? Wow, I'd like to see /your/ lathe...

Pictures at 11 on ABPW

Good idea, I'm embarrased I hadn't thought of it myself! All too often I've
turned off a foot or tenon to discover myself the proud owner of an
ornamental funnel... [sigh]

--
- Andy
At least in prison you look forward to getting out. --Lister.

Gerald Ross

Andy McArdle wrote:

Pounding the pulpit in ,
Gerald Ross did expound thusly:

Before hollowing the bottom of a bowl I estimate the thickness before
putting it on the Cole jaws. Later I forget how much I have to work
with. I made a jig to measure the inside depth before reversing the
bowl, then check the bottom thickness as I hollow it.

You hollow bowls on Cole jaws? Wow, I'd like to see /your/ lathe...

Well, I don't like to leave the bottom flat. I turn it flat, then scoop
out the center part, leaving a quarter inch rim as a foot.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Everybody has a right to be stupid,
but some abuse the privilege.

Andy McArdle

Pounding the pulpit in ,
Gerald Ross did expound thusly:

Before hollowing the bottom of a bowl I estimate the thickness before
putting it on the Cole jaws. Later I forget how much I have to work
with. I made a jig to measure the inside depth before reversing the
bowl, then check the bottom thickness as I hollow it.

You hollow bowls on Cole jaws? Wow, I'd like to see /your/ lathe...

Well, I don't like to leave the bottom flat. I turn it flat, then scoop
out the center part, leaving a quarter inch rim as a foot.

Ahhhh... I see. Personally I'd call that "trimming" rather than hollowing;
to me hollowing means major excavation, but I know what you mean and do the
same... I assume most other turners do, too.

I just had this picture in my head of a bloke trying to hollow out a blank
through the headstock spindle...

--
- Andy
"You're copying the whole textbook onto your body" * Lister

Bill Rubenstein

Sort of like 'tighten it down until it strips and then back it off a
half turn'.

Bill

Chuck wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:53:19 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Before hollowing the bottom of a bowl I estimate the thickness before
putting it on the Cole jaws. Later I forget how much I have to work
with. I made a jig to measure the inside depth before reversing the
bowl, then check the bottom thickness as I hollow it.

I've always used daylight, myself. At least it tells me when I've
gone too far.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

mac davis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:26:39 +1000, "Andy McArdle"
wrote:

Well, I don't like to leave the bottom flat. I turn it flat, then scoop
out the center part, leaving a quarter inch rim as a foot.

Ahhhh... I see. Personally I'd call that "trimming" rather than hollowing;
to me hollowing means major excavation, but I know what you mean and do the
same... I assume most other turners do, too.

I just had this picture in my head of a bloke trying to hollow out a blank
through the headstock spindle...

Isn't that why they're hollow? I just sharpened the end of the ram rod that came
with the lathe, that's made to go through the head stock..
Shaving removal is sort of slow, too..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Andy McArdle

I just had this picture in my head of a bloke trying to hollow out a
blank through the headstock spindle...

Isn't that why they're hollow? I just sharpened the end of the ram rod
that came with the lathe, that's made to go through the head stock..
Shaving removal is sort of slow, too..

I thought you had a vacuum fitting?

--
- Andy
Home-made vacuum chucks suck!

mac davis

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:51:27 +1000, "Andy McArdle"
wrote:

I just had this picture in my head of a bloke trying to hollow out a
blank through the headstock spindle...

Isn't that why they're hollow? I just sharpened the end of the ram rod
that came with the lathe, that's made to go through the head stock..
Shaving removal is sort of slow, too..

I thought you had a vacuum fitting?

nope.. I was the one that thought that they were too expensive, until the vacuum
thread... now, I'm just too lazy to build one...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Andy McArdle

I just had this picture in my head of a bloke trying to hollow out a
blank through the headstock spindle...

Isn't that why they're hollow? I just sharpened the end of the ram rod
that came with the lathe, that's made to go through the head stock..
Shaving removal is sort of slow, too..

I thought you had a vacuum fitting?

nope.. I was the one that thought that they were too expensive, until
the vacuum thread... now, I'm just too lazy to build one...

Ah. I was like that, but now I'm too lazy to procrastinate.

--
- Andy
"This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX-81!" - Kryten.