Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snake Bite Fittings

This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2016 8:52 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

HD calls them Shark Bites, Lowes calls them Gator Bites but they are the
same type of fittings.

I've used a few on my outside faucet connections about 8 years ago and
it's still holding strong. I was hesitant to use them in an enclosed
area such as behind a wall, thus used them along the joists in my
basement which I can gain access with drop ceiling.

I haven't heard anything bad about them since their debut. I wouldn't
hesitate to use them more extensively if I need them again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2016 8:52 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

I had a problem with one of the baseboard lines where it has a couple of
bends and an expansion joint prone to leaking. Tough place to solder
too. I took out a copper section about 6 feet long, snaked in a piece
of PEX and two sharkbites. Been good for 5 years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 8:53:00 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

What is your definition of "more recent experience"? Are you looking for
reviews from someone who has just used them as opposed to *updated* reviews
from people that used them many years ago?

Seems to me that the reviews related to longevity would be what you want.

The hose spigot at the front of my house is at street pressure. The hose
spigot for the backyard was after the pressure reducer. Many years ago
(more than 5) I tapped into the 1/2" copper at the front of the house with
a SharkBite T, ran Pex across the basement ceiling and used a SharkPipe elbow
to tie into the pipe for the rear spigot. That brought street pressure to the
backyard spigot. I also used a SharkBite cap to cap off the stub left over
when I cut the original pipe to the back yard spigot.

I have had zero issues with any of the connections. Other than the expense
of SharkBites, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. My opinion is this: Use
SharkBites where sweating would be difficult or dangerous or when you want
to transition from copper to Pex.

I also keep a couple of SharkBite caps with my plumbing supplies for use
in an emergency. I actually used one last year when a pipe developed a
leak late in the evening. I turned off the water, cut out the leaky fitting,
capped the pipe and turned the water back on so we had water for the night.
I think it took me about 10 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 05:52:56 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

Shark Bite, perhaps???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2016 09:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yep.

After trying to get a good solder joint near wood I also decided to go
with Shark Bite. That was maybe 4 or five years ago and zero problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 09:34:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a problem with one of the baseboard lines where it has a couple of
bends and an expansion joint prone to leaking. Tough place to solder
too. I took out a copper section about 6 feet long, snaked in a piece
of PEX and two sharkbites. Been good for 5 years now.

First off, they are SHARK BITE, not "snake bite". (A snake bite requires
a medical doctor).

When I was doing plumbing work, I ran into a home where someone put a
shark bite connector inside a wall, and it was placed real tight against
a piece of 2x4. Apparently expansion and contraction from hot and cold
caused the fitting to release inside the wall, and cause a major flood
in the home. While the fitting was improperly placed, which caused the
flood, I have not seen any other problems with them. But I stopped doing
plumbing work before they became popular, so I did not run into many of
them. I personally would not use them in my home, except for a
temporary patch. I believe in doing things right and I like solid
connections that can not come apart. (Not to mention the high cost of
the Shark Bites).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:18:34 -0500, philo wrote:

After trying to get a good solder joint near wood I also decided to go
with Shark Bite. That was maybe 4 or five years ago and zero problems.

In a similar vein, some time ago I replaced the water valve on the
refrigerator. The lines attach/push in is like a shark bite. They can
also be released to remove the lines. I was a bit skeptical, but they
work well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 7:53:00 AM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

I have this fitting on one of my outside faucets and it has
worked quite well and it's been on that faucet a good 10
years.

Just finished a complete bathroom remodel two weeks ago and
my contractor used them for the under sink and toilet shutoffs.
That's my only experience with them indoors and it's too soon
to give a rating on those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 2:58:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

But they can (and do) develop leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:24:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"I believe in doing things right and I like solid connections that
can not come apart."

But they can (and do) develop leaks.

Every added fitting introduces more potential for leaks.

My house PEX is ~ 21 years old and has never leaked. Less chances in a
home run to each water fixture from a manifold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"I believe in doing things right and I like solid connections that
can not come apart."

But they can (and do) develop leaks.

Every added fitting introduces more potential for leaks.

My house PEX is ~ 21 years old and has never leaked. Less chances in a
home run to each water fixture from a manifold.

Tell that to the Paint Meister. He's the one that hates PEX.

I'll quote something he said in an earlier thread:

***** Begin Included Text *****

"PEX is for people who are too lazy to do REAL Plumbing. It's about the
same as running a garden hose to your sink, toilet, or whatever else. It
may seem durable and strong, but for how long? It's plastic, and like
all plastics, it has a limited life span. Some day in the future you'll
come home and find your house flooded because this plastic crap broke.

REAL PLUMBING is made from metal, and is a PIPE, not a HOSE!

But we live in a day and age when people worship plastics and dont want
to do any REAL work, or pay for REAL plumbing.

Pex is fine for a temporary means to get water from point A to point B,
but it's NOT a permanent plumbing. I might consider it for an outdoor
sprinkler system. but not for "piping" in my home. "

***** End Included Text *****
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Pay no attention to the cow behind the curtain.

PEX is also used for natural gas lines and now water irrigation lines
not exposed to UV, but buried below the ground surface.
--
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

a realtive of rose my GF has a home, part of it has just a crawl space, frozen pipes every winter..

I went ahead and replace all the copper with PEX and sharkbites.

not a single leak or frozen water line in over 3 years.

although a PVC 4 inch trap has frozen a couple times...

so i want to put insulation board along all sides of the crawl space and insulation board on the dirt floor ........

then take a small run of flexibe ducting to warm the space in the winter.........

PEX rarely freezes, plastic doesnt conduct cold well, and if it does freeze, it expands but doesnt split like copper, if pex llllline freezes when it warms up, it juust shrinks and water flows again

PEX IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I quit paying real attention to him when he offered me what he called the "ideal" solution for an
issue I had, then later said it was a solution *he* wouldn't use and then plonked *me* when
I pointed out his contradiction.

Now I just like to screw with him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:05:04 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

PEX IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD

The bread slicer is made out of metal, so it will outlast the el-cheapo
plastic PEX.

However, PEX is safer then metal pipe for a child's toy!!! (Unless they
put it in their mouth and get poisoned by the absorbed chemicals in the
plastic).

PEX was intended to be used as a childs toy and a temporary plumbing
patch, until a plumber can install REAL plumbing made of metal pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

PEX IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD

The bread slicer is made out of metal, so it will outlast the el-cheapo
plastic PEX.

However, PEX is safer then metal pipe for a child's toy!!! (Unless they
put it in their mouth and get poisoned by the absorbed chemicals in the
plastic).

PEX was intended to be used as a childs toy and a temporary plumbing
patch, until a plumber can install REAL plumbing made of metal pipes.

Merrily we troll along, troll along, troll along.
Merrily we troll along, o're the usenet sea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314
Sun, 02
Oct 2016 12:52:56 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago
where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked
well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the
soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either
brand?

I used Shark Bite nearly three years ago to replace a failed water
heater for a friend. It's still working just fine. No issues, and, no
leaks. Wasn't difficult to attach the fittings either to the old copper
pipe or the PEX pipe. I'd use the stuff again if I needed to replace
pipe and/or a unit attached to some.

--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin