Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Snake Bite Fittings

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 8:53:00 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

What is your definition of "more recent experience"? Are you looking for
reviews from someone who has just used them as opposed to *updated* reviews
from people that used them many years ago?

Seems to me that the reviews related to longevity would be what you want.

The hose spigot at the front of my house is at street pressure. The hose
spigot for the backyard was after the pressure reducer. Many years ago
(more than 5) I tapped into the 1/2" copper at the front of the house with
a SharkBite T, ran Pex across the basement ceiling and used a SharkPipe elbow
to tie into the pipe for the rear spigot. That brought street pressure to the
backyard spigot. I also used a SharkBite cap to cap off the stub left over
when I cut the original pipe to the back yard spigot.

I have had zero issues with any of the connections. Other than the expense
of SharkBites, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. My opinion is this: Use
SharkBites where sweating would be difficult or dangerous or when you want
to transition from copper to Pex.

I also keep a couple of SharkBite caps with my plumbing supplies for use
in an emergency. I actually used one last year when a pipe developed a
leak late in the evening. I turned off the water, cut out the leaky fitting,
capped the pipe and turned the water back on so we had water for the night.
I think it took me about 10 minutes.