Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Snake Bite Fittings

On 10/2/2016 8:52 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
This was discussed here several years ago but I wondered if anyone has more recent experience with Snake Bite plumbing fittings. I have to do some plumbing in the basement on a copper pipe line. I've had little luck trying to solder fittings over the years so I was looking for the compression ring type of fittings that you slip on and tighten the nut to seal the join. I found that the new thing is the insert-and-lock type of fitting. Home Depot has two brands, Snake Bite and Cash Acme Shark Bite.

Searching this group, there was a discussion about five years ago where most users thought Snake Bite was a good product that worked well and saved time, although they were more expensive than the soldered joints. Has anyone had more recent experience with either brand?

Paul

HD calls them Shark Bites, Lowes calls them Gator Bites but they are the
same type of fittings.

I've used a few on my outside faucet connections about 8 years ago and
it's still holding strong. I was hesitant to use them in an enclosed
area such as behind a wall, thus used them along the joists in my
basement which I can gain access with drop ceiling.

I haven't heard anything bad about them since their debut. I wouldn't
hesitate to use them more extensively if I need them again.