Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose connection leak sealing

I use an evaporative cooler for cooling and after decades of experimenting
find that a garden hose run over the surface of the ground to a short
length of copper tubing (cooler water connection matches copper tubing
connector) works the best. The problem remaining is that the hose
connections too frequently leak and need fussing with. Usually the
connection where the hose connector screws onto the adapter at the copper
tubing. Teflon tape helps but where the plastic hose itself connects to the
hose connector it is a friction fit and seems to eventually leak from the
constant year-long pressure. Anything I can use to seal these connections?
If necessary I have enough extra length that I can cut off these sealed
connections and replace them if necessary later if I have to because of a
problem.

This is hard to explain. I hope it is clear. I edited it several times.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Sep 2016 16:45:43 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...]

Not sure exactly. Perhaps check the washers in the hose connectors?
I'd not use a "plastic" material washer, but rather a quality "rubber"
washer and snug it up tight with a set of pliers. The hose connector
washers do deform and tend to leak. If this applies or not, I can't
say. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2016 1:49 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Stuff wears out. Metal can crack too. Happened to me a couple of
months ago. Tried to snug it with pliers then noted it was actually
broken do I had to discard and get another fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:58:18 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/16/2016 1:49 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yup. Some hose fitting are cheap pot metal so they deform. Years
(25+) ago I started buying the Craftsman hoses with quality brass
fittings. You can drive over them and they don't crush or deform.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

When I was still working and doing service work on HVAC equipment and ice machines, I used a heavy duty reinforced rubber hose rated for high pressure and temperatures because I often used hot water to clean equipment. One feature that the hose had which I looked for in a heavy duty garden hose I also used was fitted with "Machined Brass" not formed tubing connectors made from a thin brass alloy. (€¢€¿€¢)

http://www.lrnelson.com/products/hos...rm-gear-clamp/

http://www.lrnelson.com/products/hos...nd-brassmetal/

[8~{} Uncle Hose Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 12:45:48 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
[...]

I'm confused as to where the actual leak is. Is it between the hose
connector and the copper tubing adapter or is it between the hose
and the hose's own connector?

i.e. If you removed the hose from the adapter on the copper tubing, then
capped the connector on the hose and then pressurized the hose, would the
hose itself still eventually leak? If so, where? At the cap or where the
hose's connector attaches to the hose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:34:43 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Who is the pretty lady at the 2nd link and why is she so happy?

She's wearing a sweater, which implies cool weather. Is she spraying
someone with the hose? That's not very nice.

Cousin Now-I-Gotta-Take-My-Wet-Clothes-Off Monster

(Oh, wait...maybe that was her plan all along.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-09-16, KenK wrote:
[...]

I have a question:

The evaporative cooler is gonna dump water down the drain, into yer
hose, which terminates into a copper sprinkler, which waters yer lawn.
Right? So, why do you give a hoot n' hollar if you have some leaks?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Clear enough, everybody has the same problem. I've never tried it but maybe
slather the nipple with silicon before inserting in the hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Assuming you are just slipping the hose over the copper and clamping it,
I'd suggest soldering on a threaded adaptor to the copper pipe, then
screw on a barbed fitting. Clamp the hose on that barbed..... Use 2
clamps.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 10:17:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Does this guy even read the posts he responds to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:bd9a93a8-b3e4-492b-ae3e-
:

between the hose
and the hose's own connector?

Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in
:

On 2016-09-16, KenK wrote:
[...]

Nope. Water goes into cooler. Then pads. Replaced when evaporates from
pads. No drain - water stays in cooler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2016 9:45 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Something else you could consider. Get a pressure reducer to limit the
pressure in the hose all the time. They sell these for RVs. They have
hose fittings on each end for connection before the hose to the RV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 19:59:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

You get three guesses, Derby. The first two don't count.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

Nope. Water goes into cooler. Then pads. Replaced when evaporates from
pads. No drain - water stays in cooler.

How about some heat shrink tubing? Flame on!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 1:55:00 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:bd9a93a8-b3e4-492b-ae3e-
:

between the hose
and the hose's own connector?

Yes

You see how simple that explanation was? ;-)

Consider a commercial grade hose instead of a "homeowner" grade.

A Google search will turn up lots of options that aren't available at the local home center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 2:01:52 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 1:55:00 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
news:bd9a93a8-b3e4-492b-ae3e- :

between the hose
and the hose's own connector?

Yes

You see how simple that explanation was? ;-)

Consider a commercial grade hose instead of a "homeowner" grade.

Wasn't aware there was such a thing. I'll look into it. The latest leak
seems to have fixed itself. Probably calcium from the hard well water
plugged it up for the moment.

A Google search will turn up lots of options that aren't available at
the local home center.

Yep. But I hate to pay shipping. Especially something that big and heavy.
Hopefully it would turn up something local.

I could be wrong but I could swear this site says free shipping. I'll
bet it's not the only one.

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p...y-duty-p150400

Obviously, you'll need to do your own homework as far as quality, etc. I'm
simply pointing out that "paying shipping" is not a given.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 11:13:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 2:01:52 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

I could be wrong but I could swear this site says free shipping. I'll
bet it's not the only one.

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p...y-duty-p150400

Obviously, you'll need to do your own homework as far as quality, etc. I'm
simply pointing out that "paying shipping" is not a given.

This is a shorter hose - lifetime warranty replacement - no questions
asked. Been using them for 25 years.. Can be found locally.

"5/8" X 25' Craftsman Rubber Garden hose. Crushproof nickel-plated
brass couplings. Abrasion resistant cover. Withstands hot water
temperatures up to 160 degrees F. Superior strength and durability."

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-5-8-in-x-25-ft-heavy-duty-hose?taxon_id=1256