Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Default Why do lithium batteries explode?

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37255127

Samsung's decision to halt sales of the new Galaxy Note 7 because of
reports of battery explosions is an extraordinary step for a tech giant
to take.

The firm said it had identified a battery issue but did not elaborate.

But if a lithium-ion battery cell charges too quickly or a tiny
manufacturing error slips through the net it can result in a short
circuit - which can lead to fire.

One expert urged the industry to find safer alternatives to lithium.

"I think one should be concerned and push towards safer battery tech,"
said energy storage expert Professor Clare Grey from Cambridge University.

"That should be an important focus on research and industry development.

"While most manufacturing flaws will be picked up during initial
testing, it's not an infallible process."

However Prof Grey also said that people should not panic.

"I'm standing at an airport - every single person would have to stop
what they are doing if we took their batteries away from them," she said.

"We all take risks in our lives - we drive cars sitting on top of
flammable organic liquids. Other tech is coming along that is safer."
Common causes

There have only been 35 cases of the Galaxy Note 7 catching fire
reported worldwide following 2.5 million sales, Samsung says.

The lithium ion batteries used by Samsung are common across the tech
industry - so what makes them hazardous?

It's important to understand a little about how they work. Simply they
contain a cathode, an anode and lithium.

The cathode and anode are separated by an organic liquid called an
electrolyte and a porous material called the separator.

The lithium travels through the separator, within the liquid, between
the two.
Quick charge

If the battery charges too fast, generating heat, lithium plates form
around the anode which can create a short circuit.

"Normally you would have a battery management system that controls the
rate at which you charge," said Prof Grey.

"Batteries are optimised so that you don't charge too fast - if you do
that you will plate the lithium."

This is also why battery charging can be a frustratingly slow
experience, she added.

Other faults that can cause a short circuit include contamination by
tiny fragments of metal during the production process or minute holes in
the sealing, which might not become apparent until the battery has been
charged a few times as the materials expand and contract.

"The manufacturing has got a lot more standardised than it was 10 to 15
years ago," said Prof Grey.

However battery packs - combining battery cells to generate more power -
can be problematic and this is increasingly common. Batteries containing
12 cells, for example, are readily available for laptops.

"The more you put together, the higher the likelihood that some will
fail," she added.

"There are still flaws emerging but it's getting better. It is a
challenge - with so many being produced, you just need one error."
Signs to watch out for

There can be symptoms indicating that a battery is about to fail, said
support and repairs provider Geek Squad.

"Sometimes, a battery will start to swell and bulge before it fails
completely, as the internal cells rupture and break," it says on its
website.

"But the bulge doesn't always happen. If not, you might notice that your
device is a little warmer than usual - but let's be honest, our phones
get fairly warm during standard usage anyway."

The firm suggests disposing of any batteries displaying these signs.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 02:55:01 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[snip]

Because of ignorance. What else?
Any battery would explode if its power is drained too fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 9:03:03 PM UTC-4, JJ wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 02:55:01 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[snip]

Because of ignorance. What else?
Any battery would explode if its power is drained too fast.

Exactly how through ignorance do you drain a cell phone battery that's
in the cell phone too fast and cause it to explode? From what I've
seen of the reports, the Samsung were exploding while being charged.
Same thing with those hoverboards, some of them have burned houses
down. Boeing had the 787s grounded right after introduction because
their Lion batteries were catching fire. AFAIK, all of them were
when they were being used normally, usually while charging not
discharging. In the case of Boeing, after all the analysis, they
still couldn't figure out what the root cause was. So, they just
put better containment around them. Doesn't make me too comfortable.
There are some things where saving some weight just isn't worth it.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 3/09/16 09:02, JJ wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 02:55:01 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[snip]

Because of ignorance. What else?
Any battery would explode if its power is drained too fast.

You expert all consumer buyers of rechargeable batteries to be experts?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 1:57:13 PM UTC-5, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37255127

Samsung's decision to halt sales of the new Galaxy Note 7 because of
reports of battery explosions is an extraordinary step for a tech giant
to take.

Lithium batteries explode when you put too many electrons in them and not enough battery cooties in there to eat excess electrons. A properly designed lithium ion battery has a cootie door much like a tiny pet door to allow battery cooties to enter and leave as needed. The battery cooties poop protons but they must do it outside the battery so the battery isn't contaminated with battery cootie poop. The battery must not be in an unventilated container or space. It must be vented so the battery cooties can escape when the battery is dead so the swarm can find another battery. Battery cooties can lay dormant for many years waiting on a new battery if they must. If you use a high power optical microscope over the vent on a lithium ion battery, you may be able to see the larger battery cooties especially the pregnant queen battery cootie. An electron microscope is not recommended unless you are looking at dead battery cooties because the live battery cooties are attracted to the electron beam and will cover the electron microscope and try to mate with it. Anyway, that's why lithium ion batteries explode. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cootie Monster

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Last time Dell Laptop Lithium batteries caught fire , it
turned out to be metal shavings in the batteries: 3C (cheap,
chinese crap)

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 16:37:42 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 3/09/16 09:02, JJ wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 02:55:01 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[snip]

Because of ignorance. What else?
Any battery would explode if its power is drained too fast.

You expert all consumer buyers of rechargeable batteries to be experts?

Who said it's the consumers' ignorance?

Either way... Even if they're experts, the batteries will always explode if
it's drained too fast.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 3/09/16 19:37, JJ wrote:

Who said it's the consumers' ignorance?

Either way... Even if they're experts, the batteries will always explode if
it's drained too fast.

Maybe we should stop shrinking the size of rechargeable batteries...

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 3/09/16 22:25, MJC wrote:

Even real engineers can apparently get it wrong:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...ttery_problems

Competence is a number, some bigger some smaller, while some are
pretending!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2016 4:04 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

ahhh Now, I understand! smile lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/09/16 09:02, JJ wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 02:55:01 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[snip]

Because of ignorance. What else?
Any battery would explode if its power is drained too fast.

You expert all consumer buyers of rechargeable batteries to be experts?

Who said it's the consumers' ignorance?

Either way... Even if they're experts, the batteries will always explode if
it's drained too fast.

Who says these Lion batteries he's talking about are exploding becaue
the consumers drained them too fast? How does a consumer with a cell
phone drain it too fast? Never seen a cell phone yet where it's sold
and spec'd saying it can only be used X mins continuously or it will
blow up. Just playing your silly game here, because of all the Lion
batteries that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But again,
that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with any of these
problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening with Samsung. They
are burning up, exploding in normal use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But again,
that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with any of these
problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening with Samsung. They
are burning up, exploding in normal use.

The problem is thought to be a defective battery.
What happened with the Samsung phone?

Samsung said it thought the problem came from a minute flaw in the
production of the batteries. One theory was that a part inside the
battery was coiled incorrectly, causing more stress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But again,
that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with any of these
problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening with Samsung. They
are burning up, exploding in normal use.

The problem is thought to be a defective battery.
What happened with the Samsung phone?

Samsung said it thought the problem came from a minute flaw in the
production of the batteries. One theory was that a part inside the
battery was coiled incorrectly, causing more stress.

Maybe they can do what Boeing did, say we don't know WTF is causing it,
we'll just put a better, hefty, fireproof containment system around it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 pretended :
On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But again,
that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with any of these
problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening with Samsung. They
are burning up, exploding in normal use.

Mostly what I've been hearing is that they blow up when charging, not
when discharging.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Default [OT]Why do lithium batteries explode?

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 22:25:25 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 3/09/16 19:37, JJ wrote:

Who said it's the consumers' ignorance?

Either way... Even if they're experts, the batteries will always explode if
it's drained too fast.

Maybe we should stop shrinking the size of rechargeable batteries...

Just because you are using larger dildos does not mean
everyone else is. Hence the need for smaller batteries, or so I'm
told.
You cross-posted this to alt.comp.freeware because ?
OT up.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 4/09/16 20:27, Shadow wrote:
You cross-posted this to alt.comp.freeware because ?
OT up.

To remind more people...

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 12:39:34 -0500, amdx wrote:

I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

Ha Ha.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

I mark any message from Q the troll as stinky

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 9/5/2016 3:51 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

That was my point.

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 6/09/16 23:03, amdx wrote:

That was my point.

Most mortals don't know what lithium is and how it behaves. Mind to
summarize?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On 09/06/2016 05:03 PM, amdx wrote:
On 9/5/2016 3:51 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

That was my point.

With a note that Li-ion/pol cell chemistry
( one of many cell chemistries based on lithium )
at normal circumstances does not contain free metallic lithium.

The neutral lithium atoms are intercalated
within the honeycomb plates of graphite electrode.

Only in case the cell is overcharged, the metallic lithium
eventually starts to deposit on the anode graphite surface.

Reaction rates of undesired exothermic side reactions increases,
involving namely with metal oxides of cathode
eventually the LiPF6 electrolytes
and organic carbonates R-O-CO-O-R'.

The carbonates are flameable liquid and combined with the lithium
cam make a hell from such damaged battery.

a notebook battery intentionally brought to critical damage point
can cause up to 2 m high violet and violent flame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2016 10:29 AM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I might have explained by saying that when you pack more and more energy
into smaller and smaller places that you are putting yourself at risk
but Uncle Monster says it better.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 6/09/16 23:03, amdx wrote:

That was my point.

Most mortals don't know what lithium is and how it behaves. Mind to
summarize?

It behaves badly and its parents have it on a
strict 10PM curfew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

The Alkali Metals: Reaction of Lithium with the air (Flash Video)

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00002467

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4

Chang wrote:
On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them
were when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But
again, that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with
any of these problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening
with Samsung. They are burning up, exploding in normal use.

It's likely due to problems with the manufacturing process and/or
defective components within. The batteries can fail in fantastic ways
by being charged, discharged or just sitting idle, if the right
combination of internal failure takes place. Mostly, it's the
seperator that runs into problems. When it fails due to holes being
poked thru it by inferior construction materials that are uber tiny
in nature, your battery is literally, internally, shorting out. If
the organic solvent that's being used for electrolyte for some reason
damages/degrades the seperator, you've got yourself an internal short
circuit condition that can affect one or more cells.

As other cells are forced to join in, either by being shorted
themselves or just being heated by a failing cell near them, thermal
runaway begins to take hold. The organic solvent being used as an
electrolyte is turning into a gas due to the heat. A cell that's now
causing excessive heat can ignite it, inside the battery pack. If
that happens, you have a cascading thermal runaway issue and the
battery pack will go up in flames.

That's actually a rare event if you consider how many batteries of
this kind are made and used every day. Most of the time, the
batteries internal and external safeties will kick in and prevent the
fire aspect, although the battery is still going to be permaruined as
a result of the safety being enabled. It's a one shot deal.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Posted to alt.home.repair

FromTheRafters

trader_4 pretended :
Chang wrote:
On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them
were when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But
again, that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with
any of these problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening
with Samsung. They are burning up, exploding in normal use.

Mostly what I've been hearing is that they blow up when charging,
not when discharging.

Defective charging circuitry either in the charger and/or the battery
pack. It can also be a problem with the seperator or some impurity in
the organic solvent that pokes one or more holes in the seperator.

It's causing the organic solvent electrolyte to get too hot and turn
into a gas. As it does so, any cells that are hot enough can ignite
it, inside the battery pack. If/when that happens, other cells will
be forced to join in cascading thermal runaway effect. Result:
battery pack catches fire and burns.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
seems VERY clever!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

If the chargers were using gerbils then all would be well.

--
Tekkie
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Paul posted for all of us...

The Alkali Metals: Reaction of Lithium with the air (Flash Video)

Clever little word there (stupid mind can't come up with the correct term.)

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00002467

Paul

--
Tekkie
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 19:55:01 +0100, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

[...]

35 / 2.5 million = very small number.

--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my uncle in law was in charge of the
battery yard for the (seven) submarines of the Greek Navy. He would have
nightmares of the batteries exploding. Specifically, it was hydrogen buildup
which was most explosive. Batteries are stored energy, which is why they
explode. I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion. TNT and rocket fuel
is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the most potent known fuel
source.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Dne 01/11/2016 v 21:59 napsal(a):

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my uncle in law was in charge of the
battery yard for the (seven) submarines of the Greek Navy. He would have
nightmares of the batteries exploding. Specifically, it was hydrogen buildup
which was most explosive. Batteries are stored energy, which is why they
explode. I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion. TNT and rocket fuel
is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the most potent known fuel
source.

Let summarize the major mistakes :

1/ Lithium batteries operations are related to building up hydrogen.

Li-ion/pol cells do NOT use chemistry, building up hydrogen,
as they use lithium hexafluorophosphates dissolved in
dialkylcarbonates as an aprotic electrolyte.

2/ Batteries are stored energy, which is why they explode.

Coal is much more concentrated energy than Li-ion cells,
but does not explode. So stored energy itself
is not cause of explosion. There is needed a mechanism
releasing it by uncontrolled way, like punctures
and overheating out of operational conditions.

Human body stores energy as fat, again with much higher
specific energy content than Lithium cells,
but explodes neither.

3/ TNT and rocket fuel is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the
most potent known fuel source.

Nitrogen triple bond in the gaseous nitrogen or cyanides
is one of the strongest chemical bonds ever and you need
to PROVIDE a lot of energy to break it.

BTW, neither TNT nor rocket fuels DO NOT contain nitrogen
bonded by triple bonds.

So, be careful with the naive tag...

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )
Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 06:59:35 +1000,
wrote:

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my uncle in law was in charge of the
battery yard for the (seven) submarines of the Greek Navy. He would have
nightmares of the batteries exploding. Specifically, it was hydrogen
buildup
which was most explosive. Batteries are stored energy, which is why they
explode. I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can
store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion. TNT and rocket
fuel
is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the most potent known fuel
source.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,
BioStrategist
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully
disclaimed.}---
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime
Bimbos]

These would be lead acid batteries, where yes, hydrogen build up was a
problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 20:59:35 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion.

How right. And my wife's stink. Yesterday ... no I'll avoid talking
about it.

Reagan

Sorry to hear about that

BioStrategist

Yeah, right.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

wrote:

I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion.

How right. And my wife's stink. Yesterday ... no I'll avoid talking
about it.

Well, some people acumulating energy in form of beans really explode..

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware

Diesel wrote:

Tue, 01 Nov 2016 20:59:35 GMT in
alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion.

It still doesn't surprise me to see people posting... at best, ill
advice while making a smartarse comment concerning others lack of
knowledge on the subject.

Here's an example of a car battery that won't explode.

Like a D-cell for your flashlight, you "throw it away"
at your destination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumin...%93air_battery

*That's* how you get a vehicle which has only
an electric motor, half way across the country.
I haven't seen a price listed for the aluminum,
to see just how uncompetitive it is.

Paul