Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do Coin-Cell batteries explode in a fire?

I was burning some trash today and something exploded, making a loud
blast. I did not find any aerosol cans. Then I remembered that I
tossed a coin cell from my computer in the trash after replacing it. I
tell everyone to sort out all the cans, bottles and non-burnables before
making a fire but that cell was probably missed. The only other
possibility is that a dead disposible cigarette lighter got in the fire,
but those normally dont do much (since they are empty).
This was a loud blast, even where I was which was several hundred feet
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 5:31*am, wrote:
I was burning some trash today and something exploded, making a loud
blast. *I did not find any aerosol cans. *Then I remembered that I
tossed a coin cell from my computer in the trash after replacing it. I
tell everyone to sort out all the cans, bottles and non-burnables before
making a fire but that cell was probably missed. *The only other
possibility is that a dead disposible cigarette lighter got in the fire,
but those normally dont do much (since they are empty).
This was a loud blast, even where I was which was several hundred feet
away.

I really doubt that a coin sized battery would make so much noise that
it would concern you if in fact it did explode. As a professional
Firefighter, I have been in fires where hand gun ammo was going off
and it didn't make much more noise than other things popping and
cracking. I'll spare you the technology of stating the type of
explosive used in relation to compression, blah, blah, blah.

Hank ~~~~ not a bomb disposal expert
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message ...
On Mar 16, 5:31 am, wrote:
[...]

How big was the Firer,
for I see a Firer so big
that you can not Hear,
Chief Cry Get out,
to Save your own life..

A little cans firer,
you hear no firer,
But loud blast of
22 gun ammo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

This person says yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3oRB9rv8E

The loudest blast I've heard was a mostly empty aerosol can. DAMHIKT.

Butane lighters typically melt, and then the butane sprays out, flaming as
it does so. DAMHIKT.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I was burning some trash today and something exploded, making a loud
blast. I did not find any aerosol cans. Then I remembered that I
tossed a coin cell from my computer in the trash after replacing it. I
tell everyone to sort out all the cans, bottles and non-burnables before
making a fire but that cell was probably missed. The only other
possibility is that a dead disposible cigarette lighter got in the fire,
but those normally dont do much (since they are empty).
This was a loud blast, even where I was which was several hundred feet
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do lighters explode in a fire?

I rather doubt this. Lighter doesn't have enough power to blow a leg off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDvXF8ile8
Mythbusters examined this, also. Clothes dryers don't do it, either.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

I also saw a guy in the hospital with one leg--- a bit of slag from
welding had landed on the lighter in his pocket and exploded. His
joke was - 'I'm a lucky guy- only got one leg, but I've still got both
balls.'

This was a loud blast, even where I was which was several hundred feet
away.

I'd guess the lighter- doubtful you could get it *completely* empty.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 5:31*am, wrote:
I was burning some trash today and something exploded, making a loud
blast. *I did not find any aerosol cans. *Then I remembered that I
tossed a coin cell from my computer in the trash after replacing it. I
tell everyone to sort out all the cans, bottles and non-burnables before
making a fire but that cell was probably missed. *The only other
possibility is that a dead disposible cigarette lighter got in the fire,
but those normally dont do much (since they are empty).
This was a loud blast, even where I was which was several hundred feet
away.

I once tossed a fairly full lighter across a room to a friend.

Bad throw...it hit the wall above his head and exploded.

No damage to wall or person but it scared the bejesus out of us and
brought people running from another room.

Military guys...they run towards explosions instead of away. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 03:31:07 -0600, wrote:

Nym-shifted again. ("jw")