John

Default Equivalent of 4 D-cell Batteries?

All:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

Thanks in advance!

John
Dan C

On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:57:35 +0000, John wrote:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

You'll need a 6 VDC supply, and the current rating cannot be determined
from what you provided. That depends on the device you are running. A
"standard" hobbyist DC power supply should be fine, but verify first.

Linux Registered User #327951

Goedjn

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:32:37 -0500, Dan C
wrote:

On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:57:35 +0000, John wrote:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

You'll need a 6 VDC supply, and the current rating cannot be determined
from what you provided. That depends on the device you are running. A
"standard" hobbyist DC power supply should be fine, but verify first.

Errr.. maybe. Standard batteries are 1.5 volts each,
connecting them in series is additive, but there's no guarantee
the device connects them in series. I'll grant that,
if said device has any digital components, 6V is the most
likely design voltage.

zxcvbob

Dan C wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:57:35 +0000, John wrote:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

You'll need a 6 VDC supply, and the current rating cannot be determined
from what you provided. That depends on the device you are running. A
"standard" hobbyist DC power supply should be fine, but verify first.

A 5VDC supply should work, and they are more commonly available. A
battery-powered device needs to be designed to work with aging
batteries, and common alkaline or carbon-zinc/zinc chloride batteries
drop in voltage quite a bit as they discharge.

I would look for a 5V 1A DC "wall wart".

Best regards,
Bob

Pop

That depends on whether the batteries are in series of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

"John" wrote in message
news
All:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a
device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC
power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

Thanks in advance!

John

Edwin Pawlowski

"John" wrote in message
news
All:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes
4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current
ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

If the batteries are in series, as in a flashlight of positive to negative,
it would be 4 x 1.5 or 6 volts. The device should have the power rating on
it. Most adapters can handle small devices. There are multi-voltage
adapters available.

Pop wrote:
That depends on whether the batteries are in series of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance that runs on 4x D
cells in parallel.

NT

HeyBub

John wrote:
All:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only
takes 4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and
current ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

Thanks in advance!

John

1.5, 3.0, or 6.0 volts, nominal, depending on how the batteries are aligned
with each other.

Take the device to your supplier (Radio Shack?) and trust the male behind
the counter to deduce what you need.

Stormin Mormon

Oddly enough, I own a flash light that takes 8 D batteries. Parallel sets of
four.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pop wrote:
That depends on whether the batteries are in series of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance that runs on 4x D
cells in parallel.

NT

Pop

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pop wrote:
That depends on whether the batteries are in series
of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance
that runs on 4x D
cells in parallel.

NT

Have one in easy reach: It's a flashlight. Have
another in the garage. Have an r/c car that uses that
config. Lots of them around.

Stormin Mormon

Odd. I've never seen a 4D flash light with the batteries in parallel. Just
the one I got years ago which has 8 D cells. But, with two sets of four, it
take the same PR-12 bulb that my other 4D light takes.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pop" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pop wrote:
That depends on whether the batteries are in series
of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance
that runs on 4x D
cells in parallel.

NT

Have one in easy reach: It's a flashlight. Have
another in the garage. Have an r/c car that uses that
config. Lots of them around.

Dick

On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:23:58 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Pop wrote:
That depends on whether the batteries are in series
of
parallel; you cannot determine it with the given
information. No one can.

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance
that runs on 4x D
cells in parallel.

NT

Have one in easy reach: It's a flashlight. Have
another in the garage. Have an r/c car that uses that
config. Lots of them around.

I have to really question that. It would mean that your flashlights
and R/C car run on 1-1/2 volts. Not very likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Grandpa Koca, B Wood wrote:
7.5 V 1 AMP DC works as well.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-653979-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John, B Wood wrote:
7.5 V 1 AMP DC works for motorized devices such as a small air pump.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-653979-.htm