mike ring

Default Varta 2/V60 Ni/Cd cell? equivalent?

I'm looking for a battery to replace the one in my Landis& Gyr C/H
controller, model RWB200; I thought it didn't have battery backup, but when
I took it off the wall there was this totally dead battery in it.

The controller is otherwise fine, and does all I want it to, so I'd like to
replace the battery, but I can't find any reference to it.

The cells are about 15mm diameter and 6mm thick, and in this case have been
heat shrunk and soldered (or something) together in series. I have seen
some in an old Maplin catalogue - single mercury equivalent cells; VQ76H -
that look right, but theyre not rechargeable.

I've no info on the controller - it predates me here, but it's a 2 channel
24hr 2times per day digital and seems pretty up to date.

Anyone any ideas on batteries that might do, please? I can't seem to find
anything close - RS have Varta button cells (can't give you the link, it's
one of their time expiring searches) which look vaguely right, but are
nowhere near the size.

TIA

mike

Ian Stirling

mike ring wrote:
I'm looking for a battery to replace the one in my Landis& Gyr C/H
controller, model RWB200; I thought it didn't have battery backup, but when
I took it off the wall there was this totally dead battery in it.

The controller is otherwise fine, and does all I want it to, so I'd like to
replace the battery, but I can't find any reference to it.

The cells are about 15mm diameter and 6mm thick, and in this case have been
heat shrunk and soldered (or something) together in series. I have seen
some in an old Maplin catalogue - single mercury equivalent cells; VQ76H -
that look right, but theyre not rechargeable.

Number of cells?
Actually, if there is physical room, probably the easiest way is to buy
several AAA NiCd cells, a battery holder, snip off the old leads high on
the battery, and solder on the battery holder.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article 0,
mike ring wrote:
Anyone any ideas on batteries that might do, please? I can't seem to
find anything close - RS have Varta button cells (can't give you the
link, it's one of their time expiring searches) which look vaguely
right, but are nowhere near the size.

Assuming they're NiCads, anything nearly the right size will work ok -
assuming the correct voltage (number of cells). I'd also guess that using
NIMh in this application as a direct replacement will also be fine, given
that NiCads are getting harder to find.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ian Stirling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 0,
mike ring wrote:
Anyone any ideas on batteries that might do, please? I can't seem to
find anything close - RS have Varta button cells (can't give you the
link, it's one of their time expiring searches) which look vaguely
right, but are nowhere near the size.

Assuming they're NiCads, anything nearly the right size will work ok -
assuming the correct voltage (number of cells). I'd also guess that using
NIMh in this application as a direct replacement will also be fine, given
that NiCads are getting harder to find.

NiMH tends to do rather poorer if it's float charged constantly.
NiCd tends to last several years longer.

The Natural Philosopher

mike ring wrote:

[...]

You may find what tyou want on E-bay, but the sgggestion of getting some
cylindrical NEW Nicads and bodging them in is a good one.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
NiMH tends to do rather poorer if it's float charged constantly.
NiCd tends to last several years longer.

I'd agree. But nevertheless they're being sold for this express purpose.
And as the OP has found, most have discontinued NiCads of this type.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mike ring

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Number of cells?

Whoops. Just two, so a bit under 3v nominal, and the unit puts about 3.5 v
across them.

Actually, if there is physical room, probably the easiest way is to
buy several AAA NiCd cells, a battery holder, snip off the old leads
high on the battery, and solder on the battery holder.

The package of 2 batteries is about a 16mm dia by 12 mm high cylinder, my
problem is that I haven't come up with anything rechargeable around that
size.

I could bodge some sort of battery box, but it would be nicer to fit them
in the casing.

mike
mike ring

Default Varta 2/V60 Ni/Cd cell? equivalent? Found it

mike ring wrote in
52.50:

I'm looking for a battery to replace the one in my Landis& Gyr C/H
controller, model RWB200; I thought it didn't have battery backup, but
when I took it off the wall there was this totally dead battery in it.

I've found it, and what may be a useful website, though it's not clear
how I got there!

Googled for V60R UK.

One result was

"Useful information about raymond weil lady watch @ AGLANCE.COM", !!!

www.communicatefast.org.uk/ gifts21/raymond_weil_lady_watch.html

(which was one of those horrible commercial search engines),

but the link led to

http://www.cellpacksolutions.co.uk/index.asp

which might be a bookmarkworthy resource, as they appear to have a lorra
batteries.

They know the 2/V60R is now called the 2/V80H and have them on sale.

It seems to be well known as a C/H programmer backup, so y'all may come
across it some day

mike

Ian Stirling

mike ring wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Number of cells?

Whoops. Just two, so a bit under 3v nominal, and the unit puts about 3.5 v
across them.

Actually, if there is physical room, probably the easiest way is to
buy several AAA NiCd cells, a battery holder, snip off the old leads
high on the battery, and solder on the battery holder.

The package of 2 batteries is about a 16mm dia by 12 mm high cylinder, my
problem is that I haven't come up with anything rechargeable around that
size.

I could bodge some sort of battery box, but it would be nicer to fit them
in the casing.

http://www.cpc.co.uk/
http://rswww.com/
http://www.farnell.co.uk/
Should have results.
I'd check CPC first.
mike ring

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

http://www.cpc.co.uk/
http://rswww.com/
http://www.farnell.co.uk/
Should have results.
I'd check CPC first.

Thanks Ian, I had tried them, (or someone would have slapped my wrist)

But my post below should add one to your list

mike