Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why do lithium batteries explode?

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 3/09/16 22:57, trader_4 wrote:
... that I've seen in the news that blew up, I haven't seen one
where it was attributed to draining it too fast. Most of them were
when they were being *charged*.

What if you short-circuit it? Could it still do damage?

Sure, if you're dumb enough to do that and it's charged. But again,
that isn't the problem, that isn't what's happening with any of these
problem Lion batteries, it's not what's happening with Samsung. They
are burning up, exploding in normal use.