Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Poutnik[_3_] Poutnik[_3_] is offline

Default Why do lithium batteries explode?

Dne 01/11/2016 v 21:59 napsal(a):

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my uncle in law was in charge of the
battery yard for the (seven) submarines of the Greek Navy. He would have
nightmares of the batteries exploding. Specifically, it was hydrogen buildup
which was most explosive. Batteries are stored energy, which is why they
explode. I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion. TNT and rocket fuel
is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the most potent known fuel
source.

Let summarize the major mistakes :

1/ Lithium batteries operations are related to building up hydrogen.

Li-ion/pol cells do NOT use chemistry, building up hydrogen,
as they use lithium hexafluorophosphates dissolved in
dialkylcarbonates as an aprotic electrolyte.

2/ Batteries are stored energy, which is why they explode.

Coal is much more concentrated energy than Li-ion cells,
but does not explode. So stored energy itself
is not cause of explosion. There is needed a mechanism
releasing it by uncontrolled way, like punctures
and overheating out of operational conditions.

Human body stores energy as fat, again with much higher
specific energy content than Lithium cells,
but explodes neither.

3/ TNT and rocket fuel is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the
most potent known fuel source.

Nitrogen triple bond in the gaseous nitrogen or cyanides
is one of the strongest chemical bonds ever and you need
to PROVIDE a lot of energy to break it.

BTW, neither TNT nor rocket fuels DO NOT contain nitrogen
bonded by triple bonds.

So, be careful with the naive tag...

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )
Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.