Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Why do lithium batteries explode?

Diesel wrote:

Tue, 01 Nov 2016 20:59:35 GMT in
alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion.

It still doesn't surprise me to see people posting... at best, ill
advice while making a smartarse comment concerning others lack of
knowledge on the subject.

Here's an example of a car battery that won't explode.

Like a D-cell for your flashlight, you "throw it away"
at your destination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumin...%93air_battery

*That's* how you get a vehicle which has only
an electric motor, half way across the country.
I haven't seen a price listed for the aluminum,
to see just how uncompetitive it is.

Paul