Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Default US wants to force lower speeds on truck and bus drivers

WTF??

A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.

Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be physically prevented from exceeding it.

The government said capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the
+1,115 fatal crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and
save $1 billion in fuel costs.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...ers-943486255/
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Per burfordTjustice:
A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.

Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be physically prevented from exceeding it.

The government said capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the
+1,115 fatal crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and
save $1 billion in fuel costs.

"But Norita Taylor, spokeswoman for the 157,000-member Owner Operator
Independent Drivers Association, said her group has opposed the speed
limiters because they create dangerous interactions between vehicles as
faster cars slow down for trucks. "Differentials in speed increase
interactions between vehicles, which increases the likelihood of
crashes," Taylor said."

Understood she's a paid industry spin doctor... but, even so, that rings
true to me given the lack of lane discipline in the USA.

Seemed to me like it was working on the Autobahns I drove on 20 years
ago.... but that was then and this is now.... and then everybody was
playing by the same rules.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
WTF??
A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.
Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be physically prevented from exceeding it.
The government said capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the
+1,115 fatal crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and
save $1 billion in fuel costs.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...ers-943486255/

They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a while and finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the same speed limit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 16:58:00 -0500, "cowabunga dude" wrote:

wrote:
WTF??
A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.
Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be physically prevented from exceeding it.
The government said capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the
+1,115 fatal crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and
save $1 billion in fuel costs.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...ers-943486255/

They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a while and finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the same speed limit.

Apparently the dip **** in DC didn't get the memo. Or... the lyin' bitch deleted it!
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 9/1/16 5:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per burfordTjustice:
[...]

There are plenty of studies showing that differences in speed between
trucks and cars in an important part of safety on highways. Also, you
will note that that it said it will reduce the 1100 crashes but not by
how much. The other thing is even if started today, given the average
age of the fleet you won't see enough trucks on the roads to make a
difference for 10 or 15 years at the earliest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2016 5:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

"But Norita Taylor, spokeswoman for the 157,000-member Owner Operator
Independent Drivers Association, said her group has opposed the speed
limiters because they create dangerous interactions between vehicles as
faster cars slow down for trucks. "Differentials in speed increase
interactions between vehicles, which increases the likelihood of
crashes," Taylor said."

Understood she's a paid industry spin doctor... but, even so, that rings
true to me given the lack of lane discipline in the USA.

Seemed to me like it was working on the Autobahns I drove on 20 years
ago.... but that was then and this is now.... and then everybody was
playing by the same rules.

Absolutely. I've seen instances where a driver was going the speed
limit and causing problems as others tried to move around them. Trucks
with a 60 mph will cause problems.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

[...]

I was under the impression that there were speed limits for trucks on
the Autobahn. Also heard they had to contain a chart recorder (this was
30 years ago while on tour there) and police could stop them and fine
them for speeding even though they exceeded it hours ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:28:06 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

[...]

I see a thriving business in disconnecting these things
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

"Speed governors" were around before I was even born.

--
RonNNN

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 03:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per burfordTjustice:
[...]

That was my observation when I was driving. Texas, for example, had a 60
mph speed limit for trucks. It was bad enough when you were rolling down
I20 out by Odessa but in more congested areas like DFW cars were always
weaving around the slow movers.

In this state the interstate limit in many places for cars is 80 while
the trucks theoretically are doing 65. You can certainly come up on one
fast.

The trucks I was driving were governed at 65 for fuel economy so it
didn't make too much difference until you got back east with the 55 mph
limits.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 04:28 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
There are plenty of studies showing that differences in speed between
trucks and cars in an important part of safety on highways. Also, you
will note that that it said it will reduce the 1100 crashes but not by
how much. The other thing is even if started today, given the average
age of the fleet you won't see enough trucks on the roads to make a
difference for 10 or 15 years at the earliest.

The company I drove for had the trucks governed to 65. I believe most of
the larger fleets also limit the speeds for fuel economy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 05:48 PM, wrote:
I see a thriving business in disconnecting these things

The other shoe to drop is electronic log books.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 03:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a while and
finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the same speed limit.

The limit is back up? When I was driving it was 60. Except for I40 up on
the Panhandle you couldn't legally cross Texas in one day which truly
sucked. Texas gets old fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/16 9:43 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/01/2016 03:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a
while and finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the
same speed limit.

The limit is back up? When I was driving it was 60. Except for I40 up
on the Panhandle you couldn't legally cross Texas in one day which
truly sucked. Texas gets old fast.

I stopped at a restaurant on I-80 in Nebraska shortly after the
9/11 attacks. Planes weren't flying yet. I overheard some businessmen
at a nearby table. They were carpooling back to the east coast from
possibly Nevada. They always flew and had no idea how large our country is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 08:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I stopped at a restaurant on I-80 in Nebraska shortly after the
9/11 attacks. Planes weren't flying yet. I overheard some businessmen
at a nearby table. They were carpooling back to the east coast from
possibly Nevada. They always flew and had no idea how large our country
is.

An Irish group, the Young Wolfe Tones, played at the festival in Butte,
MT. After their set they said they'd like to stick around but their next
date was in Minnesota. 'It didn't look that far on the map...'

You could hide Ireland in a corner of North Dakota and we won't even
talk about eastern Montana. North Dakota is nice in the summer when the
sunflowers are in bloom around Jamestown. January is another story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 09/01/2016 03:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a while and
finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the same speed limit.

The limit is back up? When I was driving it was 60. Except for I40 up on
the Panhandle you couldn't legally cross Texas in one day which truly
sucked. Texas gets old fast.

They used to have speed limit signs that said trucks were slower, now the signs are gone, I haven't seen any for a long time, and I'm sure I read about it somewhere that all the speeds are the same now for all vehicles.

I like the open areas of Texas for the view. Trees are nice though for when I have time to walk through the forest.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:28:06 -0400
"Kurt V. Ullman" wrote:

[...]

How much will it cost to lower the 1100 accidents by less than 20??
1100 accidents out of millions of trucks on the road/year.

Purely another power grab by government to control something
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2016 03:10 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:
WTF??

A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.

My $100 Garmin GPS displays the speed limit for most any road. Why not just tie the speed governor to a GPS database?

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:34:39 -0400
Buck wrote:

On 09/01/2016 03:10 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:
WTF??

A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by
electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S.
vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are
considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could
change.

My $100 Garmin GPS displays the speed limit for most any road. Why
not just tie the speed governor to a GPS database?

why do it at all?

next put same on all cars?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And reconnecting them just before inspections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

44On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:59:16 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

On 09/01/2016 03:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a while and
finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the same speed limit.

The limit is back up? When I was driving it was 60. Except for I40 up on
the Panhandle you couldn't legally cross Texas in one day which truly
sucked. Texas gets old fast.

They used to have speed limit signs that said trucks were slower, now the signs are gone, I haven't seen any for a long time, and I'm sure I read about it somewhere that all the speeds are the same now for all vehicles.

I like the open areas of Texas for the view. Trees are nice though for when I have time to walk through the forest.

up here in Ontario Canada ( and I believe Quebec too) trucks are
limited to 105kph - with speed limitters.Defeating the speed limit
device carries a much larger fine than the speeding fine.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Per Kurt V. Ullman:
Also, you
will note that that it said it will reduce the 1100 crashes but not by
how much.

Yeah... that jumped out at me right away.

OTOH, in Germany - with everybody playing by the same rules - I drove on
4-6 lane freeways where triple tractor trailers pulling out to pass at
45 mph were sharing the road with Porsches going 150+ mph and the
Germans *claim* a lower death rate per freeway mile than in the USA.

But even if the claim is true, I would think it all hinges on everybody
playing the same set of rules and having a
consistent/rational/functional set of rules.

Call me a cynic, but I do not see either one happening in the USA
anytime soon. Differences between states for one.... A population of
adults functioning at mental level of 12-year-olds for another..... Fold
in an almost universal lack of mandatory driver training and it seems
pretty much hopeless.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per RonNNN:
"Speed governors" were around before I was even born.

There's a company that operates around here which seems to have them on
all it's vehicles (65 MPH IIRC).... can't think of the company's name...
but every time I see one of their trucks it seems to be creating it's
own minor traffic flow problem.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per rbowman:

The other shoe to drop is electronic log books.

I recently started subscribing to AutoMile. They send you this little
black thing about an inch long that plugs into the car's diagnostic
port.

Every two minutes it phones home and reports the vehicles position.

$15 per month for one vehicle.... less per vehicle as more vehicles are
added.

To make a long story short: there are no secrets anymore from anybody
who is authorized to log into the fleet's AutoMile web page: speeds,
routes, vehicle stats.... and more...

When I was shopping, I came across several such services.... so that
could be the "Electronic Logbook": pretty much immune to tampering since
it exists on a server somewhere instead of in the vehicle.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ed Pawlowski:
Absolutely. I've seen instances where a driver was going the speed
limit and causing problems as others tried to move around them. Trucks
with a 60 mph will cause problems.

When I drive down the shore with my 21' surfski on the roof, I limit
myself to 65 (the posted limit on The Atlantic City Expressway) because
of the prospect of wind loads on the ski.

Last time I counted, 138 vehicles passed me - and none slowly.

OTOH, I passed 2 vehicles: a cabover deuce-and-a-half that was getting
blown around in the wind, and a clapped out maxivan doing about 50 in
the hammer lane.

Right lane on that road moves at 71-73 depending. Left lane moves at
75 absolute minimum.... sometimes high seventies.... individuals seem to
be frequently doing 80+.

I sense a safety issue for myself doing 65: every so often some guy
closes on me, whips out to pass, and then whips back in with very, very
little room to spare.... A few inches misjudgment by one of those guys,
and I have an impact on my side front/steering wheels...... dunno what
the consequences of that are, but I can't imagine they are anything but
pretty severe.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
I was under the impression that there were speed limits for trucks on
the Autobahn. Also heard they had to contain a chart recorder (this was
30 years ago while on tour there) and police could stop them and fine
them for speeding even though they exceeded it hours ago.

That rings true to me. Trucks there weren't going anywhere near as
fast as cars/motorcycles.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Per burfordTjustice:
why do it at all?

next put same on all cars?

Three words: Self-Driving Vehicles.

I think Toyota is talking about having one on the market within 5 years.

I would have to think that trucking companies will be all over it as
soon as they can.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/02/2016 07:24 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
When I was shopping, I came across several such services.... so that
could be the "Electronic Logbook": pretty much immune to tampering since
it exists on a server somewhere instead of in the vehicle.
--

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/newsroom/d...cial-bus-truck

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/...-applause.aspx

It's for the kids...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Per burfordTjustice:
why do it at all?

next put same on all cars?

Three words: Self-Driving Vehicles.
I think Toyota is talking about having one on the market within 5 years.
I would have to think that trucking companies will be all over it as
soon as they can.
--
Pete Cresswell

Just think of all the lawsuits waiting to happen when a self driving car has a wreck. Car company, software company, sensor manufacturer, etc....

Personally I'd like to be able to get in, set destination, close my eyes, or read, surf internet, whatever, even if the vehicle did stay on the speed limit.

I almost got run over one day by a pickup almost running a stop sign on a side road. It looked like they were eating Sunday dinner with all the food they were stuffing in their mouths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cowabunga dude"
Thu, 01 Sep 2016
21:58:00 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

wrote:
WTF??
A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by
electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S.
vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are
considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that
could change. Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be
physically prevented from exceeding it. The government said
capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the +1,115 fatal
crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and save $1
billion in fuel costs.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...o-force-lower-
speeds-on-truck-and-bus-drivers-943486255/

They reduced the speed on bus and truck drivers in Texas for a
while and finally decided it was safer for all vehicles to go the
same speed limit.

imho, it is. Due to the fact that the less interaction between cars
you have, the less chances for something to go wrong and result in a
crash.

If you have cars being forced to slow down due to coming up on a
limited speed truck, you're creating a potential road hazard. Car may
decide to change lanes to go around the slower truck and not bother
looking first. Car wouldn't have done that (so soon anyway) had the
truck been doing the same speed as everyone else should be.

We have enough problems with careless drivers using cell phones
and/or texting while driving. All this being written, we do have some
of those restricted speed limits for trucks where I live. I've always
considered it to be a problem. I know the speed limit for me is
65mph, but for that truck in front of me, they're restricted to 55mph
on this road. So, I'm going to have to go around him. Or, if no room
available (that happens a lot here), wait it out and drop 10mph while
I do so. It's not like I can exactly push him out of my way.

That also means cars behind me are now forced to go slower and are
going to try doing what I'd like to be doing; change lanes and go
around him. And, much like some kids did in elementary school, you'll
have the dumbass drivers that aren't looking and aren't about to wait
their own turn per say. They'll go for that lane change and they
don't care if the vehicle that's already in the lane happens to be in
their way.

It's a combination of "me first, **** you" driving attitude and
forcing some vehicles to use the same road, but, run 10mph (or more)
slower than others.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 21:32:41 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Frank:
I was under the impression that there were speed limits for trucks on
the Autobahn. Also heard they had to contain a chart recorder (this was
30 years ago while on tour there) and police could stop them and fine
them for speeding even though they exceeded it hours ago.

That rings true to me. Trucks there weren't going anywhere near as
fast as cars/motorcycles.

That was my impression in Austria as well.

My baby brother has been a trucker for decades - finally retired and
moved on to other work. When Ontario mandated the speed limiters he
said they are going to kill truckers. Shortly after, his speed
limitted truck almost killed him. Comming down a grade just west of
Calgary? with a full load of vinyl siding headed for Alaska after some
very heavy rain, but on dry pavement, he dropped one trailer wheel off
the pavement onto the soft gravel shoulder -. In a normal situation
when that happens the driver steps on the loud pedal and pulls it out
- might railse rate a wee bit - might not. He was doing 105 or 110 kph
- heavy load on slight downgrade had it on or over the limit - when he
stepped on it nothing (good) happened. A few seconds later he was
sliding down a gully on his roof. He came to with his head a few
inches from the mud, the top and fiberglass sleeper of the truck torn
off and the one front fender burried in the mud. He got out and
crawled up to the road, where a cousin from Ontario just happened to
be driving by and saw the accident (small world). He had a broken neck
and a few good bruises. All that was connecting the cab to the chassis
was one A/C hose if I remember correctly When they pulled the wreck
out of the gully one headlight assembly and half of the fiberglass
fender were nowhere to be found - totally burried somewhere in the
"slide"

He gave the first responders quite a scare - they couldn't believe
anyone got out alive, and they thought there was a child trapped in
the truck when they found some of his dog's toys scattered around the
wreck. Thankfully CB wasn't with him on that trip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2016 9:24 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:

The other shoe to drop is electronic log books.

I recently started subscribing to AutoMile. They send you this little
black thing about an inch long that plugs into the car's diagnostic
port.

Every two minutes it phones home and reports the vehicles position.

$15 per month for one vehicle.... less per vehicle as more vehicles are
added.

Do you have teenage drivers?

My Genesis had BlueLink and I can set a perimeter and speed limit and
can get a notification if exceeded. No kids driving so I never set up
that part

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2016 9:31 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ed Pawlowski:
Absolutely. I've seen instances where a driver was going the speed
limit and causing problems as others tried to move around them. Trucks
with a 60 mph will cause problems.

When I drive down the shore with my 21' surfski on the roof, I limit
myself to 65 (the posted limit on The Atlantic City Expressway) because
of the prospect of wind loads on the ski.

Last time I counted, 138 vehicles passed me - and none slowly.

That's a pretty straight and flat road, easy to cruise at 75+ and curse
the guy doing 65.

Some years ago there was an incident much faster. A driver for the F C
Kerbeck dealership was delivering a Ferrari to a customer in AC. He
went by a radar trap at over 120. The cop did not even try to give
chase, but they set up roadblock at the toll booth. When stopped, the
driver simply explained, it was a nice day, good road, a once in a
lifetime opportunity. The police were impressed with his honesty and
asked to try it. Each did. Then they just told him to take it easy on
the rest of the trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ed Pawlowski:
Do you have teenage drivers?

Somebody in middle states of dementia.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2016 4:50 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ed Pawlowski:
Do you have teenage drivers?

Somebody in middle states of dementia.

Great idea then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Maybe have VW design them?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/16 9:31 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I sense a safety issue for myself doing 65: every so often some guy
closes on me, whips out to pass, and then whips back in with very, very
little room to spare.... A few inches misjudgment by one of those guys,
and I have an impact on my side front/steering wheels...... dunno what
the consequences of that are, but I can't imagine they are anything but
pretty severe.

See that around Miami a lot, too. Only these guys go across 3 or more
lanes of traffic in that manner. Never ceases to amaze me that they
don't have Talledega "Big One" daily. Clip one, spin out and a pinball
game erupts on The Turnpike.