Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Low speeds - any disadvantages?

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:24:56 -0000, "Dave H."
wrote:

Not strictly model engineering (motorbike engineering and supercharging!),
but...

About to arrange a trip to the next town to look at a medium-sized lathe
(English, geared head 6.5/13" x 40", 20" into gap although the spindle
bore's too small for e.g. fork stanchions, has a non-working suds pump and
tank etc.) and may consider it if it's in reasonable shape, one concern is
the speed range - 8 speeds from 30 - 750 RPM - and whether the low top speed
is going to cause problems? The only issue I can think of (other than slow
removal of material when cutting!) is that may be a bit slow for
small-diameter work in work-hardening materials, but as this would be my
first lathe since college over 30 years ago any hints and tips would be
appreciated!

Another concern is that the quadrant lever and clutch knob for the sliding
and cross power feeds (ooh, luxury....) appear to be missing - I've a fair
idea how they (should) work and aptitude enough to rebuild car and 'bike
gearboxes, so is this going to be a serious can of worms should there be
problems with 'em? They were manufactured into the 70's and fairly popular
(if a bit pricey new...) and had spares support into the 90's so there may
be spares still around... Famous Last Words?

As manufactured it's Imperial, and bikes seem to all be Metric these days -
apart from threading (which may need a 127 gear or similar made if it has
gone missing over the last 50 years), am I making a rod for my own back by
not going for a Metric lathe? I have a bunch of Metric (and Imperial)
measuring tools and can probably remember 40 thou = 1 mm...

I should be able to see/hear it running so can check for noisiness and slop
in the bearings, head, QC 'box etc., and I'll be able to check the ways and
see what tooling's with it, anything else that I should be checking? Apart
from how much trouble I'm going to get from SWMBO, of course...

Thanks in advance,

Dave H.

My lathe has speeds up to 1000 RPM in "low range" and up to 2000 in
high range -- but the high range doesn't work (RPC too small to start
it) and I've not missed it in over 10 years of use. I very rarely
use the 1000 rpm setting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My lathe has speeds up to 1000 RPM in "low range" and up to 2000 in
high range -- but the high range doesn't work (RPC too small to start
it) and I've not missed it in over 10 years of use. I very rarely
use the 1000 rpm setting.

Don, I'm surprised. For the small parts with perfect finish that you make,
I'd frequently be up to the top 4000 rpm on my 10EE or 4500 rpm on my CHNC.
I stayed at lower rpm for years till "the kid" taught me to "run that
machine". He was used to having 10K at his disposal.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don sez:

"My lathe has speeds up to 1000 RPM in "low range" and up to 2000 in
high range -- but the high range doesn't work (RPC too small to start
it) and I've not missed it in over 10 years of use. I very rarely
use the 1000 rpm setting."

Jeeze, Don. Sorry! My 2 HP lathe goes to 2000 rpm, but like you, I rarely ever use the higher
speeds. My RPC starts it with no problem, however. You want me to refer you to some good articles
on proper RPCs? (:) . . . or however you make the "grin" symbol .

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:08:01 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

My lathe has speeds up to 1000 RPM in "low range" and up to 2000 in
high range -- but the high range doesn't work (RPC too small to start
it) and I've not missed it in over 10 years of use. I very rarely
use the 1000 rpm setting.

Don, I'm surprised. For the small parts with perfect finish that you make,
I'd frequently be up to the top 4000 rpm on my 10EE or 4500 rpm on my CHNC.
I stayed at lower rpm for years till "the kid" taught me to "run that
machine". He was used to having 10K at his disposal.

Karl

I use what I have. I'm not in a hurry, production is not an issue. I
could get up to 2K RPM just by finding a 10HP idler, but I've not been
motivated to do it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:42:46 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Don sez:

"My lathe has speeds up to 1000 RPM in "low range" and up to 2000 in
high range -- but the high range doesn't work (RPC too small to start
it) and I've not missed it in over 10 years of use. I very rarely
use the 1000 rpm setting."

Jeeze, Don. Sorry! My 2 HP lathe goes to 2000 rpm, but like you, I rarely ever use the higher
speeds. My RPC starts it with no problem, however. You want me to refer you to some good articles
on proper RPCs? (:) . . . or however you make the "grin" symbol .

Bob Swinney

No articles needed, Bob. The lathe is 3 HP in "low range", 5HP in
"high range". The 5 HP idler works fine in low range but can't wind
up the lathe in high range before the circuit breaker in the lathe
pops.

How you could help: rather than articles, send me a 10 HP idler and
someone to move the hundreds of lb of raw stock and rack that's in
front of the present idler, intall the new idler (next to the old
one), check it all out and put everything back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don sez:

"No articles needed, Bob. The lathe is 3 HP in "low range", 5HP in
"high range". The 5 HP idler works fine in low range but can't wind
up the lathe in high range before the circuit breaker in the lathe
pops.

How you could help: rather than articles, send me a 10 HP idler and
someone to move the hundreds of lb of raw stock and rack that's in
front of the present idler, intall the new idler (next to the old
one), check it all out and put everything back."

Point well taken, Don. Hey! I still plan on coming up to see you when the Delta Queen gets running
again. At that time I will be happy to help you move all the raw stock, rack and etc. that's in
front of your idler. In the mean time, your under powered idler's performance could possibly be
improved by the judcious addition of some capacitors. Remember all the discussions re. idler, load
motor, and interconnections comprising a network?

Resp,

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:37:09 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Don sez:

[...]

When you get here, let's just enjoy the day. Winter is shop season.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When you get here, let's just enjoy the day. Winter is shop season.

Man, I must have things all messed up. I think winter is fishin' season.
Shop days are rainy days or too hot days or any day I need something.

Karl