Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity Wall Insulation - Any Disadvantages?

Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , LongYP
writes
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

We had ours done some 9 years ago with no problems whatsoever:-)

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

None that we've had....

Thanks

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Thanks

This does not answer your question, but before you get the work done
contact your electricity/gas supplier. I have just had my property wall
cavity and loft insulated free of charge. I must add that the loft was
free because there was no loft insulation at all, otherwise, as my loft
is above the X square metres, I would have had to contribute to the
cost. The wall insulation would have been free whatever. It was a
combination of Government grant and fuel supplier grant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LongYP" wrote in message
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home
Insulation Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft
and cavity wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

What build up of condensation?
Is someone having you on?

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

The damn stuff falls out when you bang big holes in the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:53:37 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

|In article , LongYP
writes
|Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
|Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
|wall.
|
|I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
|insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
|condensation.
|

|We had ours done some 9 years ago with no problems whatsoever:-)

40 years in our case.

|Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?
|
|None that we've had....

Non in 40 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
.uk...

"LongYP" wrote in message
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home
Insulation Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft
and cavity wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

What build up of condensation?
Is someone having you on?

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

The damn stuff falls out when you bang big holes in the wall.

LOL!

There are NO negatives. Get it done ASAP. You'll notice the difference
immediately.

We had ours done many years ago so don't notice any difference but we've not
been sorry.

Of course, we've never banged big holes iin the wall ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Sorry to hijack, but related to this:

We wanted to get CWI a couple of years ago. Ours is a 1940s brick semi
- half of the original outside wall is now internal to an extension.
We contacted the people, they came out and we've been told twice now
that we can't have it.

The reason, apparently is that we have a one metre high stone section
to the front wall - still a cavity, but stone all the same. They say
they won't do it as they can't guarantee it for c30 years.
Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:

Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home Insulation
Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft and cavity
wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Thanks

The only other one I've ever heard of is when theres wiring in the
cavity. If its already overloaded, insulation will make it hotter, and
iirc the earlier foam bead insulation was incompatible with pvc. The
damp issue comes in with some incompatible wall types, such as stone
rubble and rattrap bond.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP" wrote in message
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home
Insulation Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft
and cavity wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Thanks

Thanks for ALL the responses.

The condensation build up is considered to a genuine issue if you have log
burners or open fires - the company said air vents would need to be put into
the wall.

Overall though, sounds like it is the right thing to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LongYP" wrote in message

The condensation build up is considered to a genuine issue if you have log
burners or open fires - the company said air vents would need to be put
into the wall.

Surely you already have air vents?

But condensation could be a worse problem without CWI, the walls would be
colder.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LongYP" wrote

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

My father-in-law had a 1960's semi done and it caused the cavity to bridge
and damp to track through to his internal wall.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrMoosehead wrote:

Sorry to hijack, but related to this:

We wanted to get CWI a couple of years ago. Ours is a 1940s brick semi
- half of the original outside wall is now internal to an extension.
We contacted the people, they came out and we've been told twice now
that we can't have it.

The reason, apparently is that we have a one metre high stone section
to the front wall - still a cavity, but stone all the same. They say
they won't do it as they can't guarantee it for c30 years.
Any suggestions?

The advice is good. Your insulation options are solid insulation or
battens/rockwool/drywall on the interior, or exteral insulation such as
cladding etc.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Ron is offline

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"LongYP" wrote

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

My father-in-law had a 1960's semi done and it caused the cavity to bridge
and damp to track through to his internal wall.

Phil

I can't get mine done because of health and safety issues, they wont go on
my garage roof in case they fall off. And I ain't paying an extra £300 or
£400 for scaffolding.
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for ALL the responses.

The condensation build up is considered to a genuine issue if you have log
burners or open fires - the company said air vents would need to be put into
the wall.

Overall though, sounds like it is the right thing to do.

I can't see how CWI can increase condensation. It should reduce it.
Condensation occurs when warm moist air meets a cold surface. CWI means
wals are warmer so the chance of condesation is less.
Condensation can be a problem when windows and doors are replaced and
this may be carried out at the same time. The blame could then be
wrongly placed on the CWI.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for ALL the responses.

The condensation build up is considered to a genuine issue if you have

log
burners or open fires - the company said air vents would need to be put

into
the wall.

Overall though, sounds like it is the right thing to do.

I can't see how CWI can increase condensation. It should reduce it.
Condensation occurs when warm moist air meets a cold surface. CWI means
wals are warmer so the chance of condesation is less.
Condensation can be a problem when windows and doors are replaced and
this may be carried out at the same time. The blame could then be
wrongly placed on the CWI.

John

We had CWI done this summer and we noticed that very night that all the
major draughts we had where gone, we haven't had probs with condensation but
I guess that the reduced 'ventilation' due to the draughts up the
cavities/under floor/around windows etc being stopped could allow the
humidity to rise enough to cause condensation.

Downside seems to be that now it's warmer inside the spiders are getting
enormous!
one last night was too big to get down the plug hole in the bath using the
shower.....can't stand 'em

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Cross wrote:
"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Its not so much condensation, as water getting in to the cavity. If
there is ingress, and its been falling all the way down and soaking out
sub floor level into brickwork, and you then fill the cavity up. its
likely to result in a sodden mess higher up.

As long as the house is sound, it will make a huge positive difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LongYP" wrote in message
Looking for a little advice. My local council are providing Home
Insulation Grants and we had a guy do a survey yesterday to do the loft
and cavity wall.

I am just a little nervous about getting the cavity walls pumped full of
insulation especially after reading about problems with build up of
condensation.

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

Thanks

I've just had a quote of £285 for CWI for a 1939 gas heated semi from the
HEAT project. This is £20 more than their website suggested.

I guess that this will be blown coated rockwool.

The fourth energy price increase in about 18 months from NPower finally blew
my gasket. I've insulated everything else that I can do on my own, including
loft, underfloor in the living room, and stuffed up all the gaps and air
leaks viz the skirting, the windows, the CH pipes and the doors.

What kind of prices are others paying/have others paid? Don't want to get
ripped off.

BTW I reckon if CWI does its job then its a much better rate of return on my
investment than I can get by putting money in the bank ( i.e.5% ) so its an
investment of sorts. I understand the savings could be something like
15%-20% of total space costs.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote in message news:452e3c09

Downside seems to be that now it's warmer inside the spiders are getting
enormous!
one last night was too big to get down the plug hole in the bath using the
shower.....can't stand 'em

I prefer a bath to a shower too.

Mary

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:59:12 +0100, Andy wrote:

I've just had a quote of £285 for CWI for a 1939 gas heated semi from the
HEAT project. This is £20 more than their website suggested.

SNIP
What kind of prices are others paying/have others paid? Don't want to get
ripped off.

I paid £150 for a detached 3 months ago. Arranged through powergen fitted
by The Milfold Group. This is a none benefits rate for all 4 walls with no
vent adaptation needed, and they were happy to clamber about on the garage
roof. I would start with your power company and check the price with
them, and try other power company afterwards. As far as I understand it
the power company have a duty to do something towards the environment, and
putting extra discounts towards this is one thing they do.

I keep getting leaflets though the letter box offering discounted rates of
700-800, I guess with the fuel prices increasing the rip off merchants are
coming out.

Back to the OP, I have noticed now the weather is colder a little more
condensation.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron wrote:
"LongYP" wrote

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

I can't get mine done because of health and safety issues, they wont go on
my garage roof in case they fall off. And I ain't paying an extra £300 or
£400 for scaffolding.
Ron

So have them inject it from the inside. It just means you'll have some
holes to fill and paint.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"LongYP" wrote in message

The condensation build up is considered to a genuine issue if you have log
burners or open fires - the company said air vents would need to be put
into the wall.

Surely you already have air vents?

But condensation could be a worse problem without CWI, the walls would be
colder.

The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not
completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the
cavity, or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a
loose fill. Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few
very cold spots. This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not
completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the cavity,
or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a loose fill.
Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few very cold spots.
This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.

We have no such spots. I doubt that it happens often.

I don't doubt that you'll disagree though :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Ron is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ron wrote:
"LongYP" wrote

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

I can't get mine done because of health and safety issues, they wont go on
my garage roof in case they fall off. And I ain't paying an extra £300 or
£400 for scaffolding.
Ron

So have them inject it from the inside. It just means you'll have some
holes to fill and paint.

NT

I suggested that, they would not do it. The insulation company is Miller
Pattison contracted by my energy supplier EDF. I was going to get it done
for £3 a month for five years too. I have come to the conclusion that if you
are getting it done through your energy supplier at a discount, cost is
everything and the slightest problem or extra cost they don't want to know.

Anyone know who will do cavity wall insulation on a 3 bed semi and is not
afraid to climb on a garage roof?

Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron" wrote in message
.uk...

Anyone know who will do cavity wall insulation on a 3 bed semi and is not
afraid to climb on a garage roof?

It might be nothing to do with cowardice but more about their insurance
restrictions. When we had the gutter fitted Spouse and a son did the work
over the carport because the boss (who we knew, used to be at school with
our daughter) said that it wasn't worth contravening the insurance rules.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not
completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the cavity,
or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a loose fill.
Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few very cold spots.
This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.

We have no such spots. I doubt that it happens often.

I don't doubt that you'll disagree though :-)

Why should I disagree?

I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse
would have told you by now if that were the case ;-)

As for installation problems, I would guess that you are right and it
does not happen often - most people seem content with the result.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Cross wrote:

Downside seems to be that now it's warmer inside the spiders are getting
enormous!
one last night was too big to get down the plug hole in the bath using the
shower.....can't stand 'em

How about:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spide...her/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:05:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

|Mary Fisher wrote:
|
| "John Rumm" wrote in message
|

|The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not
|completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the cavity,
|or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a loose fill.
|Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few very cold spots.
|This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.
|

| We have no such spots. I doubt that it happens often.
|
| I don't doubt that you'll disagree though :-)
|
|Why should I disagree?
|
|I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse
|would have told you by now if that were the case ;-)

My house was done lithe foam so cold spots due to slumping are impossible
because the foam stands upright without support.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy" wrote in message

"LongYP" wrote in message
[...]

See this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/ykbyeh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not
completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the
cavity, or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a loose
fill. Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few very cold
spots. This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.

We have no such spots. I doubt that it happens often.

I don't doubt that you'll disagree though :-)

Why should I disagree?

You usually do disagree with me :-)

I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse would
have told you by now if that were the case ;-)

He's the one with the cold spots! But at the moment he's sleeping on the
sofa bed after his surgery. I'm looking forward to restoration of normality!

As for installation problems, I would guess that you are right and it does
not happen often - most people seem content with the result.

That's generous! Nothing is perfect. I don't know about most people but I
haven't heard any complaints. Most of the houses in this street have been
done this year, it seems that neighbours have recommended it to others.
We've been trying to do that for years - but it's much cheaper (or free)
these days and I suspect that's been the clinching point.

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Pete Cross wrote:

Downside seems to be that now it's warmer inside the spiders are getting
enormous!
one last night was too big to get down the plug hole in the bath using
the
shower.....can't stand 'em

How about:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spide...her/index.html

What's the point? They do now harm and more will come in. Nature abbhors a
vaccum.

Someone's gong to make money from others' irrational fears!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

Why should I disagree?

You usually do disagree with me :-)

No I don't! ;-) (is this the five minute argument?[1])

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse would
have told you by now if that were the case ;-)

He's the one with the cold spots! But at the moment he's sleeping on the
sofa bed after his surgery. I'm looking forward to restoration of normality!

How is the recovery going by the way?

As for installation problems, I would guess that you are right and it does
not happen often - most people seem content with the result.

That's generous! Nothing is perfect. I don't know about most people but I
haven't heard any complaints. Most of the houses in this street have been
done this year, it seems that neighbours have recommended it to others.
We've been trying to do that for years - but it's much cheaper (or free)
these days and I suspect that's been the clinching point.

Yup, you can't argue with the price.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Why should I disagree?

You usually do disagree with me :-)

No I don't! ;-) (is this the five minute argument?[1])

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

I did. Still have - but might get round to it :-)

How is the recovery going by the way?

He's almost 100%. Been gardening today and grumbling just like he used to do
about the shredder not working as well as he'd like and where had I left the
shovel no you didn't leave it near the compost bin I've looked there well
you didn't say behind the compost bin ...

I think the worst thing now is the re-growth of belly hair. It irritates him
so, being the generous soul he is, he has to share the irritation :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Why should I disagree?

You usually do disagree with me :-)

No I don't! ;-) (is this the five minute argument?[1])

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

LOL! I DO know it but didn't realise it was a tv thing!

Sounds just like home ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

He's almost 100%.

Good!

Been gardening today and grumbling just like he used to do
about the shredder not working as well as he'd like and where had I left the

The trick is to cut the stuff and leave it for a couple of days to dry
out a bit - shreds much better then IME... (a sacrificial bamboo cane is
also better than the supplied push stick)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

LOL! I DO know it but didn't realise it was a tv thing!

It has probably been done on stage as well many times - events like the
secret policemans ball etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

He's almost 100%.

Good!

Been gardening today and grumbling just like he used to do
about the shredder not working as well as he'd like and where had I left
the

The trick is to cut the stuff and leave it for a couple of days to dry out
a bit - shreds much better then IME... (a sacrificial bamboo cane is also
better than the supplied push stick)

I hate bamboo canes. I use steel rod, topped with champagne corks. The right
size hole is drilled. It's a great use for the corks.

But some of the stuff had been left for a week, trouble is, it's not been
drying weather :-(

If it's still there in a couple of days I'll cut it with secateurs, straight
into the compost bin.

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

LOL! I DO know it but didn't realise it was a tv thing!

It has probably been done on stage as well many times - events like the
secret policemans ball etc.

I think I must have heard it on radio.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"LongYP" wrote

Are there any other negatives to having Cavity Wall Insulation?

My father-in-law had a 1960's semi done and it caused the cavity to bridge
and damp to track through to his internal wall.

When was it done?

Wall cavity insulation [email protected] UK diy 23 July 28th 06 10:07 AM
cavity wall insulation LongYP UK diy 2 June 19th 06 03:52 PM
Cavity wall Insulation - opinions ??? mark harrison UK diy 2 January 4th 06 10:07 AM
Found Straw in a Cavity Wall Steve UK diy 5 October 1st 05 10:10 AM
Cavity Wall Insulation Yes or NO [email protected] UK diy 7 September 25th 05 02:16 PM